World War II Off Topic Forum

Highlighted

Here it is... 

GunsofNavarone.jpg

Nice. I've never seen this one. Going to check it out. Our Memorial Day is coming up next Monday in the states. I always try to watch a good war film over this weekend.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

Watched hacksaw ridge yesterday.

Impressive movie

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I finally got around to seeing The Guns of Navarone a couple months back. I enjoyed it. Smiley Happy

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

I finally got around to seeing The Guns of Navarone a couple months back. I enjoyed it. Smiley Happy

There is another movie called Force 10 from Navarone that you might also enjoy.

p2732_p_v8_aa.jpg

Buddy_Maynard

Movie: Fury

Released: October 2014

Director: David Ayer

In April 1945, the Allies are making their final push in the European theatre. A battle-hardened Army sergeant named Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Brad Pitt), leading a Sherman tank and a five-man crew, undertakes a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Hopelessly outnumbered, outgunned and saddled with an inexperienced soldier (Logan Lerman) in their midst, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds as they move to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.
p10731391_v_v8_ab.jpgFury
I watched this movie at Showbox Pro (Ad-Free Version) and I like this movie.

ShowboxBiz

Movie: Fury

Released: October 2014

Director: David Ayer

In April 1945, the Allies are making their final push in the European theatre. A battle-hardened Army sergeant named Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Brad Pitt), leading a Sherman tank and a five-man crew, undertakes a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Hopelessly outnumbered, outgunned and saddled with an inexperienced soldier (Logan Lerman) in their midst, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds as they move to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.
p10731391_v_v8_ab.jpgFury

ShowboxBiz

LEAD-IMAGE.jpg

The Longest Day

In 1944, the U.S. Army and Allied forces plan a huge invasion landing in Normandy, France. Despite bad weather, General Eisenhower gives the okay and the Allies land at Normandy. General Norma Cota (Robert Mitchum) travels with his men onto Omaha Beach. With much effort, and lost life, they get off the beach, traveling deep into French territory. The German military, due to arrogance, ignorance and a sleeping Adolf Hitler, delay their response to the Allied landing, with crippling results.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I always heard a lot of really good things about that movie and I tried to watch it a year or two ago, but it had a lot of trouble keeping my attention for some reason. On the other end, I watched a Bridge Too Far not that long ago and that had no issues keeping me captivated. 

I have a dumb one this time around that is probably a terrible movie: Hart's War 

This possibly awful movie was interesting to me since it didn't really focus on the war, but instead on a bunch of prisoners trying to do the right thing inside a Germany controlled prisoner of war camp. It always had all of these events about the war floating around in the background, but was focused around a trial taking place for an African American soldier who was seemingly wrongly accused of murdering a fellow American POW. It starred Collin Farrel and Bruce Willis, with a bunch of other recognizable actors filling the roles of other POWs. 

The movie spent a lot of time debating the idea of the American justice system and attempted to show how that system could work, or fail, in an unusual and stressful situation. The American POWs attempted to still have some semblance of order, structure, and military discipline despite being prisoners and the German officers allowed it to some extent. While not being about the war directly, it still explored how that affects humanity and how people treat it each other. Sounds lame now that I talk about it and it definitely kind of was, but it had something unique about it haha. 

Go to Activision Aces!
Community Coordinator

I liked Harts War when I saw it years ago. I don't fully remember it now but your description is bringing back memories.

I finally got around to seeing Wheres Eagles Dare last week. I think it was @TopFighter  who brought it up in an old thread about war movies.

5f995e663f3a20a6122284a5327cae78.jpg

It's from 1968 with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. Not only was it a rescue mission behind enemy lines but a double-triple-quadruple agent  twist that still has me confused. Smiley Very Happy

The greatest thing about the movie for me was the obvious influence it had in the zombie map Der Eisendrache. A Nazi occupied Castle in the snowy mountains with a couple gondolas. Pure awesomness!

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I was looking for to find a picture...found some....but seems I cant load em up here. The movie I want to share is "Das Boot".

Dont know if you guys know this movie. Its about a Sub (U-Boat) who made it all trough WW2, went back to his home base, and most of the guys who survived all attacks before getting killed there by an air raid. Showing the absurdness of WW2.

Horrorman Level 75

Studios