World War II Off Topic Forum

Share a good WWII movie, series, or documentary...

10938591-1395838085-915902.jpg

Rules:

- Limit one per post.

- Can not post twice in a row.

Feel free to expand with a description, review, or simply share the movie poster or name. What's most important is that the movie is shared and hopefully enlighten someone that's never seen it.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
50 REPLIES 50
in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

Hacksaw_Ridge_poster.png

This movie is so epic and emotional , with a topcast , I hope ther is a mission based on The battle of Okinawa , it would be cool , if you dind't see this movie than do its worth it !

L_A_410

A very good serie on World War 2: 

Band of Brothers

Band_of_Brothers_poster.jpg

ProDjMx
My favorite by far.
Despising cheaters since 1970
cranium2001#6312400 Level 75

Movie: Letters from Iwo Jima 
Release date: December, 2006 
Director: Clint Eastwood 

While much of this community is talking about the campaign and seeing parts of the war never seen before, this movie really took that idea all the way. It was focused around Japanese soldiers based in Iwo Jima and defending against the invading U.S. forces.

Not only did it show a completely different side of the war from what we are all used to seeing, but it painted the Japanese soldiers in an sympathetic way.  Never had the idea of "just following orders" been taken to the extreme with the Japanese army. If someone didn't follow orders they were killed or forced to commit suicide, while even the leaders on the ground showed that the highest levels of their military cared nothing for the loss of life, just sacrifice and honor. 

Go to Activision Aces!
Community Coordinator
matuzz

Finally got to see this movie. Definitely a deep one. A result of the war that I certainly didn't know about. Thumbs up.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Movie: Enemy At the Gates

Released: March 2001

Director: Jean-Jacques Annaud

Really an interesting story about a side of the war we, especially in America, haven't heard much about. Follows Vassili Zeitsev (Jude Law) and his rise from an Unarmed private in the Battle of Stalingrad. The opening sequences showing the realities of the siege of Stalingrad by the overwhelming forces of the Germans and the extreme tactics of the Russian Leadership and the intense reality of serving in the Russian army, including shooting deserters in the back on sight and pairing unarmed soldiers with an armed comrade with the directive to pick up the gun if their partner fell. 

Zeitsev displays his prowess as a Sniper during the battle, and as friends with a Russian Propaganda officer played by Joseph Fiennes becomes the focus of a Russian Propaganda campaign to boost the morale of soldiers and the Russian people. Zeitsev targets German Officers, and the Germans fight back by bringing in Erwin Konig(excellently portrayed by Ed Harris), a sniper school teacher, to counter and hunt down Zeitsev.  

For anyone interested in history and sniper tactics, the movie is really fascinating. There is kind of a misplaced love story and love triangle with another soldier named Tania (Rachel Weisz), but it doesn't really derail the story. Pretty intense action and storyline, and a great appearance by Ron Perlman as Zeitsev's mentor and former student of Konig's.

Definitely worth checking out.

Image result for enemy at the gates

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Thank you all for sharing. Some awesome movies listed already. 

Miracle_at_St._Anna_film_poster.jpg

Miracle at St Anna - 2008 - Spike Lee

I'm going to copy and paste a description because it will do a better job than me....

-During World War II, members of the U.S. Army's all-black division are stationed in the Tuscany region of Italy. Four of the soldiers (Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, Laz Alonso, Omar Benson Miller) become trapped behind enemy lines and separated from the rest of their unit after one of them risks his life to save an Italian boy.-

When I first saw this movie, it dawned on me how much WaW made me feel a connection to the WWII genre. I was just more conscious of the time, space, and struggle.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
Highlighted

Seems I can't get the picture working. Tried others but will only show small piece
But is Guns of Navarone
GunsofNavarone
from imdb:
A British team is sent to cross occupied Greek territory and destroy the massive German gun emplacement that commands a key sea channel.

one of the movies I watched almost every year around the 5th of may. (liberation day in the Netherlands. Around that time a whole lot of ww2 movies etc on tv)

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Studios