Net Neutrality Discussion/Sharing

World War II Off Topic Forum

I kind of forgot about Verizon, to be honest.

For some weird reason, Comcast opted to forego rolling out their gigabyte plan in my area of Indiana, despite being home to the two biggest automotive plants in the state. They did roll it out about 45 minutes from me, where Purdue University is located. I believe they also rolled it out in Evansville. I've not heard any reviews on it, though.  

What I am unsure of is why so many people believe that net neutrality must be repealed in order for an ISP to offer better plans, while remaining neutral.

mygamertagsucks Level 75

@mygamertagsucks wrote:

What I am unsure of is why so many people believe that net neutrality must be repealed in order for an ISP to offer better plans, while remaining neutral.

Because the isps spend a fortune promoting this lie, usa has some of the worst net access in the developed world, you still have monthly data caps on net access ( not mobile) and as the entire infrastructure is based mostly in private companies you guys are sort of stuck with how things are because capitalism rocks !!

In uk we have really strict nn laws that come from the eu ( will be transffered to uk law if/when brexit happens)

before this was in place though all isps agreed to a voluntary code of pratice that said they wouldnt block services, stop other isps operating, act fairly to consumers ect.When the eu laws came in they were slightly more robust than these tenents but the basics are the same.

i currently pay £26 a month for 80d 10 up unlimited net and bundled with a mobile that has 16gbs data unlimited calls and text a month

Maccabi Level 75

I'm currently not aware of anyone I know that has a data cap on their home internet. Not saying your wrong... just don't know anyone personally. The caps I do see are on mobile.

From memory, the data cap complaints I've seen here since the games became mandatory downloads with the new consoles were not from the US.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Here in Indiana, Comcast Cable subscribers do have a 1TB data cap. Not that I will come remotely close to even using that much data- it still exists. I did not know this was a thing until I looked closely at one of my bills in the last 3 months, probably while I was getting ready to bitch about something else with them. 

Edit to add This Link from The Verge regarding data caps.

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Well that's some BS. I have no clue how much data I use a month.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

The closest I've came to hitting the TB was around 180gb during a month. That month, I also had my nephew more or less living with me. 

Even though the cap is high, I don't like the idea that it even exists. At least they told us that the caps are in place I guess.

mygamertagsucks Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0, @Maccabi

I don't trust this guy as far as I could throw him.

FCC Chair refuses to delay net neutrality

mygamertagsucks Level 75
iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

What about this guy and his opinion? ...https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/#358...

I dont mean to be rude but your original links to against NN were from at least one alex jones owned entities ( nuff said) and this latest one is from a random guy , whereas literally every company thats involved with the internet and the majority of the american population are against it .

Maccabi Level 75

Yeah well a large part of the American population is asleep. Even Net Neutrality activists want to ban outlets like Infowars and Drudge Report because they have something to fear with free speech and thought that is considered outside the box.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/08/study-pro-net-neutrality-activists-filed-5-8-mill...

https://www.infowars.com/net-neutrality-activists-demand-fcc-ban-drudge-report-infowars/

I think most Americans see what a wasteful government we have that are controlled by outside interests, yet want to hand more control over to them out of fear of paying more for their entertainment needs (streaming).

So regardless of what you think about these sources I've shared, they have sound reasons to be against NN.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios