Net Neutrality Discussion/Sharing

World War II Off Topic Forum

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Well that's just it. There are pro's and con's of both having and not having NN. Regardless of which president or party is involved... it depends on trust in either the govt or privately owned companies. We've seen both abuse their power.

Personally I'ld side with the hope the ISP's would do the right thing and let the people keep them in check. I'm more paranoid about a government controlled by lobbyists and globalist elites having control over the internet here in the US.

It's definitely an interesting topic and I didn't take into consideration how NN works outside the US.... and the other responses were from across the pond.

I honestly can't think of one pro to not having NN , I guess thats why literally every entity that uses the net is for NN except the isps and the idiot trump purposedly put in charge of the fcc. I am interested as to what you think the pros of no NN are though?

Ajit pia is an ahole, he is not serving the american people heading up the fcc he is answering solely to the isps he used to work for ( fighting nn) . What he is proposing to do doesn't just remove the titl2 classificiation of isps ( which they claim is the problem) his actual proposals if you read then removes basically ALL federal oversight from isps, leaving them to do basically what ever the heck they want to do . THAT is the problem .
The isps wanted the title 2 revoked and then reclassified to title 1 information carriers, that allowed them to then charge to use their infrastructure while this also carries problems it is far less of an issue than what pai wants to do as at least with title1 there would still be some fcc oversight .

This may suroprise you but NN is the one thing all polls in the usa show that americans across all parties want in place, most polls range between 70+% in favor , even republicans poll in the high 70's for NN. When the republicans stealth revoked the rule that stopped isps tracking customer data without their consent there was a huge public outcry, one that was constantly bought up in town halls afterwards it badly hurt the rep party and this latest thing along with trump will kill the party off in the 2018 elections imho as they now have a major problem. Either they side with their constituents and are pro NN or they support quite possibly the largest gift to corparate america ever which will severely anger the voters.. ( well if/ until trumps horribad tax bill passes).

in regards to you comments from overseas, i think a lot of it is and without being harsh the rest of the world views america esp now as a sort of oxymoron, and most people cant understand how you guys end up with the stuff you do and still claim to be a free democracy and "your government works for the people" when it clearly is beholden to the capitalists, major companies and rep donors)...don't even get me started on your health care system Smiley Wink

just as a fyi this is a tweet i sent in jan when pai was named.. https://twitter.com/xMaccabix/status/823676659509395456

Maccabi Level 75

Maybe you missed my first line in the original post.. "We are only as informed as the sources we read, watch, and ultimately trust."

Then I shared a handful of videos about the cons of NN and also stated numerous times in replies.... the govt doesn't need to have their hands into everything. It's going to lead to favoritism towards certain ISP's and censorship as it already has.

Fortunately for us at the moment, we have a leader that believes in the constitution and nationalism so we can hopefully remain a democracy.... unlike some other places around the world that don't have elected officials by the people like the EU.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Fortunately for us at the moment, we have a leader that believes in the constitution 

wait where are you I always assumed you were in the usa?

Maccabi Level 75

What about Telekom? Do they play a bigger role/part in your country, like they do in Germany. In Germany are just some big 4 or 5 ISP´s to choose from, all others have to rent circuit points from those big ones, cause they layed down the lines to the people.

Horrorman Level 75

Here in the US, there are basically three "big name" ISPs. They are: Comcast/Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, and AT&T. 

The problem is that these three are generally not competing against each other, as availability differs for each region of the US. Therefore; if you want broadband internet access, you basically have no choice. In my case, I have Comcast. Comcast already has a less than stellar track record in regards to net neutrality- both in their standards, and their practices. 

Lack of available ISPs results in available ISPs more or less charging whatever in the hell they'd like. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Well that kinda sucks. Here they make big competitivity against each other, but the prices, and what they offer is everywhere kinda the same. You can either choose from Telekom broadband, or via your TV line from other ISP´s. Havent tried so far over TV line, but this will be my next choice until I can cancel my 2 year contract with Telekom broadband.

Horrorman Level 75

By the way, I'm not saying that Net Neutrality is bad, at all. What is bad is the way all of the packages, in my area at least, all seem to want you to upgrade to a business class deal for better uoad speeds. In my case, the best "consumer grade" package offered has a 75mbps down/15mbps up. If I want anything more than that, I have to opt for a business level internet package, and it's freaking overkill. 

I know, or remember, that the acceptable download to upload ratio is 6:1. Yet, business grade internet offers close to a 1:1 ratio down/up. I do not need 100mbps up. Honestly, I don't even need the 10 I have, but I'd like the option to be feasible if I wanted it. 

I am actually for Net Neutrality, but as a Comcast subscriber, I can't help but feel something is ridiculously wrong, and the discrepancy between what you pay for and what you are getting only gets worse every day. When I call their customer service, and have the modem reset and refreshed (make them do it to have it on file that there is a problem), they always tell me things look good, but "let's send a signal to your modem just to be safe." My numbers will go from 30mbps down, 7 up, back to 75mbps down and 10 up. 

To be completely honest, Comcast repeatedly failed to acknowledge there was ever an issue, specifically in my area. In order to get a response from them I had to register a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Within 24 hours, a technician came out, dug up the old line that's been here forever, and had new cabling installed. For that, I was grateful, as it did make a difference for quite awhile. Now, I'm back to the same BS they try to peddle, which is, "let's see if there's a plan we have that would suit you better." No. No thank you, between TV and Internet, conveniently packaged, I'm already at $183.00/month. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Wuuut 183$ OMG thats ridiculous. I thought my package is expensive and I pay 50€ per month for 50 down and 10 up.

Horrorman Level 75

@Horrorman wrote:

Wuuut 183$ OMG thats ridiculous. I thought my package is expensive and I pay 50€ per month for 50 down and 10 up.

I pay the same or a bit less for same speed. No 50/20

Including tv and a land line. Which I can use without payinf extra for to call with to other landlines.

And my data isn't capped. Can use as much as I like.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

The borough of Brooklyn where I live is actually sliced and divided up by either Cablevision/Optimum or TWC/Spectrum. There is no neighborhood with the choice between the two. We are just stuck with one.

I see Verizon/FIOS street work and ducting being installed around the neighborhood... so Fiber might be a viable option around here soon.

But my cable/internet bill is a little more than yours. I do pay extra for an internet plan and they gave me an amazing deal a few years ago of 200up and 30down for upgrading to a modem lease for a few extra bucks. Currently paying $30.89 just for internet with the modem. That's also discounted because of my cable plan.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios