Net Neutrality Discussion/Sharing

World War II Off Topic Forum

We are only as informed as the sources we read, watch, and ultimately trust. Since CoD multiplayer is dependant on the internet and our service providers... I wanted to bring up the topic of net neutrality. I'm interested in hearing what you know about it, the pro's and con's of it, and ultimately what you can bring to the table... and please share the sources for your informed opinion.

I wasn't really aware of the whole topic until I saw Larry Hyrb (Major Nelson) from the Xbox community tweet about it months ago. He was for net neutrality from I assume a gaming perspective. So I looked into it and found some contrary opinions.

Here are a few vids I watched...

The main question I'm curious about... is net neutrality infringing on a free market and our freedoms? ...and are we willing to give up those freedoms for equal internet that ultimately gives us a better gaming experience?

Feel free to share your opinion and any sources you have on the topic. Smiley Happy

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
77 REPLIES 77

My english is to limited for to go deeper into action here, and for to talk about spot on. But IMO there is no neutrality anymore.It starts with the big search engines. They can control what you see first, if you search for something, and people click it most of the time, not scrolling down. In this way they can control whatever they want to, and they do it, so this has nothing to do anymore with neutrality.

Horrorman Level 75

Even with net neutrality (connection)

The big internet sites and search engines will rule. 

Depending on region it may differ.

In The Netherlands there should be net neutrality. Other words providers may not favors their customers over customers from other providers.

Not just internet at home but also mobile.

It helps with some of the blind spots in here.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I don't think the govt should have their hands into everything.

In my opinion... Net Neutrality is a spun narrative that creates this fear that the internet will not be free and fair without regulations. While I think it's the opposite. Instead we get more government oversight and favoritism toward isp monopolization. That might seem harmless now to us common folk, but it suppresses competition and in time could greatly impact what we can see and share on the internet.

I think that's already very evident from a quick google search on the topic. What rises to the top doesn't always mean it's more popular or righteous, but instead makes people believe it is.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447354/fcc-net-neutrality-internet-freedom-best-protected-with...

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

What do you think will happen without regulations?

Prices will go up because each provider would need his own infrastructure etc.

The part that providers can use others infrastructures and that providers may not favor their own customers over others is the opposite of monopolization of the net.

I haven't gone much futur into it. Just started school again. And got more than enough information from that to proces

SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

The only thing the govt should be providing IS a good infrastructure.... with the citizens tax dollars. Then let the free market do its thing and let the best providers rise to the top with good systems and good prices. I think there would be more competition among providers and the consumers would ultimately control the prices with the power of their wallet.

My main platform....  free market > govt control.  Let the people determine the future of the internet. Let me ask, what was wrong with the internet before Net Neutrality was implemented a few years ago? My prices haven't gone down, my choices of providers havn't increased since.... in fact the price has gone up. The govt has just created a bigger grip over it and have a feeling that grip will get tighter.

My main fear is we will always only have two main providers and two main browsers that will ultimately control our perspectives and not allow for alternate perspectives through censorship and govt ultimate control. Something similar to the Big 3 TV networks we had over here in the US for half a century.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Here we got more providers and lower prices.

It's like any regulation. 

Especially when more country's are involved can work in country a,not in n and a bit in c.

Here in the EU enough regulations that don't really work for The Netherlands.

As far what I know about net neutrality.

It worked positive for me.

But than will have to read a lot into for a good opinion and that isn't gonna happen any time soon.

SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I gotchya. I'm not aware of how net neutrality works around the world or if it even existed. It's just a topic that's been rehashed here in the US because it could be repealed here in the upcoming months and there seems to be a popular consensus that it shouldn't be.

That's why I was looking for more talk about the issue from both perspectives. Thanks for sharing what you know and your impression. Smiley Happy

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Here in Finland we have quite a few ISP providers to choose from and no data caps is standard. So if there hypothetically was no net neutrality it would be easy to hop to competitor if your ISP started to throttle you and cut down your internet acess to "packages".

As far as I know in the US in most cases you are simply stuck with one ISP in most regions. And if Net Neutrality goes away... Well I feel sorry for you. You  could no longer buy a simple internet access but instead your ISP could throttle all of your streaming services like Netflix insanly slow so you could not use them unless you buy "streaming package" and so you would need pay premium just to be able to watch streams. Maybe a there would be a game package that would throttle PSN, Live, Steam etc. downloads if you don't buy that package. And so on. A *****ed up system to make ISP providers make more money by  exploiting in many places their very real monopoly status.

matuzz

Thanks for sharing your perspective. That is the more common reasoning I see for keeping NN. While that is a sound reason (saving money, good streaming).. it also sounds a bit like a scare tactic/ fear factor for going along with it.

I mean, since I do have a limited amount of ISP choices, they already have total control of what I'll be paying. And to be honest, I don't remember any issues before NN was passed into law that directly impacted me.

While I do love streaming Netflix and online gaming... it would also be a bit sad to let the govt abuse it's power over the internet, partner with the big providers, and have control over content (censorship) just so my entertainment needs are met.

Here's a few more vids...

Not trying to be political here. I personally don't care which president or party sides with either side of Net Neutrality. I just want to be informed and have a better understanding of the big picture. What might seem great today.... could have drastic actions in years to come. And that could be on either side of the topic.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios