Net Neutrality Discussion/Sharing

World War II Off Topic Forum

There was a reportage in our news about net neuetrality, and what can happen in USA if this is going to be true. Sounds not that good to have a 2 class system where they can rule which data is more important.

Horrorman Level 75

I'm not thrilled with the way Ajit Pai is handling this situation. I'm even less thrilled with the wanton disregard shown to the public by the FCC. Numerous avenues were exhausted in an attempt to simply push this vote back, in an effort to find out simple things like, "why", and "why now?" The FCC heard the public, and yet, pretty much just gave all of us a giant middle finger, while telling us that we will thank them in the long run. Not exactly an ideal way of handling the situation.

That being said, we've only had net neutrality since 2015. I really do not recall the internet being "broken" before net neutrality passed, so I'm kind of unsure as to where all this fear mongering is coming from. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

@mygamertagsucks wrote:

I really do not recall the internet being "broken" before net neutrality passed, so I'm kind of unsure as to where all this fear mongering is coming from. 

the fear mongering comes from the fact the NN as they were,  were put in place stopped isps doing devious and downright dodgy things to screw people...

because thats EXACTLY what the isps were doing beforehand 

heres some if the fear mongering in action..

AT&T blocked skype on iphones , it also blocked other voip apps so people were forced to use its talk service.

AT&T, Sprint and Verison blocked google wallet as they had their own payment service 

Comcast blocked certian internet traffic that screwed up peer to peer networks, file sharing and actualkly to some extent gaming due to the udp protocol used for gaming packets

Verison blocked tethering apps, and broke its own commitment to the FCC not to do this when it was granted a license as Verison wanted to charge people $20 to teether or make their phones wifi hotspots.

Verison during a court case with the FCC stated they would favor certian apps, sites and services on their network 

Theres numerous other examples from lower tier isps but you get the idea...

its because of what the big isps were doing that the FCC made NN and title 2 into law,

oh also another biggy was the big isps demanding netflix pay interconnection fees to provide services a cost that wouldve been passed onto consumers,.

Maccabi Level 75

Funny thing about this is that I actually recall some of this happening, as it happened. Specifically, Comcast and their dodgy practices. As badly as I want to stay off of the political slant, its seeming as though this entire repeal was done with ulterior motives. 

This whole repeal just feels sketchy, rushed, and wholly without regard to us, the consumers. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

I don't see the political slant or ulterior motives. Ultimately I see this for the consumer. Doesn't mean we might see prices rise for some things but in the long run it will benefit the market and consumer.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

I don't see the political slant or ulterior motives. Ultimately I see this for the consumer. Doesn't mean we might see prices rise for some things but in the long run it will benefit the market and consumer.

you really need to stop watching slanmted right wing conservative media dude.

his point about smaller isps is moot, its some of the smaller isps that were also screwing consumers which is why the fcc originally added NN rules .

Also WITH NN the smaller isps can compete fairly with the large isps thats another bonus and why so many decent small isps were in FAVOR of NN.

end of the day which every side of this debate you fall on just remember one small pertinent thought.

The big isps throw over 20 mill in lobbying to remove NN, they obviously saw it as an investment and intent to recoup that back how do you think they will?> and secondly IF the big isps didnt want to screw over customers and use unfair business practices why do they care if NN was in place?

it's no surpise now that NN vote happens companies like comcast have REMOVED promises NOT TO from their websites about throttling and tiering internet services.

But hey literally every tech firm and over 80% of the american people thought this was a bad idea what do they know? 

Also wheres the outcry from the european isps about our NN rules? which were just stuff they already did and promised to do enshrined into law. 

#

Maccabi Level 75

I don't know... maybe you should stop watching/listening/reading to whatever you're ultimately trusting. 

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
Highlighted

I haven't heard much about the subject. I did read this tweet today... https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1074798185929940992

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios