ww2 Maps: Like or Dislike: Why??

World War II General Discussion

So this is a discussion of the maps in this game so far.  A list of my pros and cons and i want to hear what some of you all think.  For me, i am not a fan of the size (too small) nor the structure of them, being that they are laid out almost the same way with 3 lanes, the middle being the choke point and two basic side spawns.  I haven't played COD since Ghosts and i remember the maps actually being well detailed with none of this 3 lane layout.  I don't understand it and i hate it.  Lots of spawn killing and random spawn swapping.  I tried to adapt with sitting back more and trying to spawn trap them but i guess my experience with COD in a whole isn't very good.  Given also i'm not very good but that has a small effect on how the maps are layed out.  I guess one good thing about the maps is the forced conflict.  that's trying to find something good about them.  The frustrating part is being killed, then knowing that you're gonna spawn in the back, or which ever side you spawn on, then having to run to the middle to find people because you know that's where everyone is.  instead of strategically placing yourself somewhere or just call it camping what have you and getting kills.  

I had to share this on here becaues my friends have given up on COD so  i can't discuss it with them.  So please share your thoughts with me and let me know how you feel about them.  I know this discussion won't change anything about future maps, i just want to know how other people think and what their play style is when it comes to these types of maps

Thank you,

Congregett

CongregeTT
22 REPLIES 22

@CongregeTT wrote:

So this is a discussion of the maps in this game so far.  A list of my pros and cons and i want to hear what some of you all think.  For me, i am not a fan of the size (too small) nor the structure of them, being that they are laid out almost the same way with 3 lanes, the middle being the choke point and two basic side spawns.  I haven't played COD since Ghosts and i remember the maps actually being well detailed with none of this 3 lane layout.  I don't understand it and i hate it.  Lots of spawn killing and random spawn swapping.  I tried to adapt with sitting back more and trying to spawn trap them but i guess my experience with COD in a whole isn't very good.  Given also i'm not very good but that has a small effect on how the maps are layed out.  I guess one good thing about the maps is the forced conflict.  that's trying to find something good about them.  The frustrating part is being killed, then knowing that you're gonna spawn in the back, or which ever side you spawn on, then having to run to the middle to find people because you know that's where everyone is.  instead of strategically placing yourself somewhere or just call it camping what have you and getting kills.  

I had to share this on here becaues my friends have given up on COD so  i can't discuss it with them.  So please share your thoughts with me and let me know how you feel about them.  I know this discussion won't change anything about future maps, i just want to know how other people think and what their play style is when it comes to these types of maps

Thank you,

Congregett

Easiest COD to spawn trap that I can remember based on the design and how they handle spawns. Probably some of the worst map design I have seen in regard to flow. Sizes are fine for the most part, but the rest of logic behind the maps seems to absolutely horrible.

MurkBeserk Level 75

i was also hoping for some big maps to do 12v12.  They also got rid of Ground War and i don't think it would've worked for how the maps are.  That's just too many people.

CongregeTT
I think there may be 1 or 2 maps I like but the rest are complete crap. Theres no flow to any of them, its too easy to spawn trap the other team or be spawn trapped yourself. There is too much clutter around the maps as well which caters a lot to campers. Theyre just poorly designed.

Ive never seen a COD with worse maps. Even MW3 had some decently designed maps.
www.Youtube.com/TheVideoGameHistorian - Taking a look at the history behind the games we play
Baconsrebellion
maybe COD needs more than 3 years to develop a game. get more input on maps and what people think. This isn't a MOBA. moba's can stick to their 3 lane and let FPS have their unique maps, besides Gears which does have some 3 lane maps but works for the game.
CongregeTT

Amen! I wish I wouldn’t have preordered/bought this. The maps suck. 

ThorsHammerz

and speaking of my least favorite map, being the one which i posted this after i played it, USS Texas.  It has those stupid windows in the middle that can clearly see both spawns and it's on BOTH SIDES!! Like, wtf were they thinking on this one??  But also has a lot to do with the people who play COD.  those who just can't resist spawn killing and those who do that and are just rediculously good at the game.

CongregeTT

The maps are really what make this game not enjoyable for me.The big major let-down. But i disagree with you on the basic concept of 3 lanes. And i will explain it why:

In the early days of the FPS games (in the CoD-Series especially CoD 1, CoD 2, and CoD 4) the game mode was S&D in terms of competitive mode. I stopped with the series afterwards, but havent heard any good since. You had a simple A and B spot, and 1 way to get to each with a usual middle-way that is sometimes connected in various ways. Think of Carentan, Railyard, St. Mere-Eglise, Toujane, Matmata, Burgundy, Caen just to name a few from CoD 1 / 2. This is how nearly all maps were created, even the bigger ones. And most of the maps were really good. Yes, the had flaws, and yes, they had bugs, and yes, they werent perfect. But from a competitive PoV you knew what was going on around you.

They all had a simple and basic concept in terms of 5v5 S&D. You could either apply a rush tactic to a spot if possible, or slow push / split it and try to pick off. In the same way you could set up your defence, regarding the outlet of the map. Countering a rush with nades, smokes, or w/e you came up with.

The only map that comes close to anything with a concept and being playable more than once ( from the new ones ) is St. Marie du Mont.

All other game-modes were easily playable on the same map that was first and foremost created for S&D. Deathmatch, TDM, CtF, or whatever mode was easily playable on the very same maps, and fun. 

Here, i cannot find at all a basic concept. The only concept i could come up with is chaos. No mode seems to be fun. There is no linear path to anything.

Maiocco

I dont like the maps. They are all to clusterf*cked, similar, and of course to small.

I have an idea of how this game has being created. Probably they didnt wanted to do a WW2 game first, but as they saw people want to go back to the roots, and wouldnt buy another bunny jumping game, plus no advanced movement anymore, they were forced to change their concept from another bunny jumping game to back to BOTG.

Due to little time until release they just rushed out all they can, and WW2 is the result.

Poor map design, bad spawns, only 9 small clusterf*cked maps instead of what we had in the past. Poor connectivity, poor performance, etc, to tired to continue...

Sorry for my probably bad english and grammar, but its early morning and I just woke up, so... Smiley Tongue

Horrorman Level 75

Maps blow. They ripped us off because they kept the same 2-4 maps from the beta in which they should have kept them but then added like 4 more to keep it interesting. Maps are also small and cluster*****ed and spawntrapping is too easy and that's not fair to the people who get the game a day or two later than everyone else because youtubers and ***** got the game early and have way more upgraded weapons and have ***** unlocked that most new players have never seen. The 3 lane concept is also trash. Very predictable, and enhances spawntrapping when 90% of players don't want that *****. Also, I have found the map rotation blows which is also an effect of not having enough maps. Activision had ample time to get this game out and we got shorted whether it be maps or server issues and such. Just plain robbery. This game is fun but the maps really need enhancement and other issues need to be resolved which I am sure with all the complaints, they are attempting to solve them just not as fast people want them to which is understandable but ***** they need help.

xDrfondle

Studios