cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't run Spider-Man 3 in Windows 10.

Spider-Man

I just bought Spider-Man 3 on the PC and I can't seem to run it. I tried running the compatibility troubleshooter, but it still didn't work. I don't know what to do. 

WormieGamez
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Man, I know the struggle. I just dug this up a few days ago and found out it don't work no more. Looked around and it seems Microsoft made its old DRM scheme obsolete and broke a ton of games. I think the only way to actually play the game now is on a PC (or virtual machine) with Windows XP. Windows 7 and Vista might be able to get the game running, but requires yet another workaround that could put your system at risk.

To their credit, Microsoft do provide instructions on the update page for how to manually turn the driver back on. This involves either typing commands into command prompt or editing the registry to make the change permanent, though Microsoft are still keen to stress that the “workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software” and so if you do turn it on, you’d do well to turn it off again once you’re finished playing whatever game you wanted to run.

To make the changes via the command prompt, run cmd.exe as an Administrator and then, to manually start the driver’s service, type the following command: sc start secdrv And to manually stop the driver’s service afterwards, type the following command: sc stop secdrv

Whereas if you want to make the change via the registry, which will turn it on more permanently – or at least make it awkward to turn off again – then: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv 3. Right-click Start, and then click Modify. 4. In the Value data box, do one of the following: Type 4 to disable the driver’s service, and then click OK. Type 3 to set the driver’s service to manual, and then click OK. Type 2 to set the driver’s service to automatic, and then click OK.

Bottom line, DRM broke the game for just about everyone but the filthy pirates. gg activision

Spoiler
no re
sm3pcdontwork
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS
custom.activision.cookie_disclaimer