cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeFlow combat

Spider-Man

Highlighted

Alright, obviously too late to be integrated in Edge of Time, but I think it's something that needs to be added to a future Spider-Man game.

Even though the combat was fun in the last couple Spider-Man games, you never truly felt like you were Spider-Man. Spider-Man is someone who can dance around a dozen foes, counter and evade all their attacks and do all that without breaking a sweat. Taking out multiple foes in past games, gets pretty much accomplished with area effect moves. And I just don't want to always swing a giant web hammer.

I really think for the next game, Beenox should take a page out of Arkham Asylum/Arkham City and try to give Spider-Man's combat similar mechanics.

Here's a quick video of Catwoman's gameplay. She uses a lot more acrobatic moves and don't tell me you wouldn't love for Spider-Man to be able to do this.

?t=1m10s

So, do you want to see FreeFlow combat for the next Spider-Man game? Yes or no?

Jingoku
24 REPLIES 24

Maybe, but I think it would be really hard to make it work right, since spidey fights in the air, ground and walls. Especially with all the stuff he can do.

Darkknight95

Shattered Dimensions seemed to have a fluid combat system, I never really felt that I could never fight more than one enemy at a time

christiankid7

In Shattered Dimensions it was definitely possible to handle entire groups, but mostly with the subtlety of a bowling ball knocking over pins. Amazing had all his web-hammers and radial moves that knocked enemies over, Ultimate went into God of War territory and 2099 had a nice charge move that let you quickly speed from opponent to opponent.

In Arkham Asylum, you can literally move from opponent to opponent, in an incredible fluid motion, with barely any effort whatsoever. In Shattered Dimensions you could do that to some degree. Like you could pummel one opponent and by changing the direction move on to the next opponent, which rarely worked though in my case.

In that regard, the Ultimate Spider-Man game pulled Spider-Man's agility way better off. You could jump into a group of enemies and just dance around them, move fluid from opponent to opponent, flip backwards, jump of a wall and back into the fight.

?t=59s

Jingoku

I definitely think Spider-Man needs something more intuiitive than a combo system. Dunno if Arkham Asylum/City Freeflow os exactly the answer (Batman and Spider-Man should fight differently), but definitely on the right track.

NYCstreets

I definitely think Spider-Man needs something more intuiitive than a combo system. Dunno if Arkham Asylum/City Freeflow os exactly the answer (Batman and Spider-Man should fight differently), but definitely on the right track.

Agreed

Edge_of_Time100

Well, I'm not saying they should copy Batman's Moves, but that they should have a similar system. A combat mechanic that allows Spidey to fluidly move from opponent to opponent and easily counter their attacks.

And as I pointed out before, Ultimate Spider-Man actually already had a pretty similar combat mechanic. And that came out way before Arkham Asylum. It was only missing the counter button.

Jingoku

I started replaying SD and it dies have a little bit of freeflow in it but it is too strict on when you can bounce between enemies. The ideal combat system I think would be keep the combos instead of copying batman's two button combat scheme (not hating on it, I like it), with the combos make it so that if you decide to change enemies you keep the combo going and not have to restart it, try to get rid of moves that make you hold a button and instead use button combinations, and for the combos make the ground ones able to get spidey in the air and make the air ones able to get Spidey on the ground without interrupting or ending the combo.

alakai117

Well, I'm not saying they should copy Batman's Moves, but that they should have a similar system. A combat mechanic that allows Spidey to fluidly move from opponent to opponent and easily counter their attacks.

And as I pointed out before, Ultimate Spider-Man actually already had a pretty similar combat mechanic. And that came out way before Arkham Asylum. It was only missing the counter button.

Well then I guess we're basically on the same page Smiley Happy

I would personally want Spider-Man to have three attack buttons, plus a dodge/counter function. I would like to see a punch, a kick, and a web attack button, which can be toggled using the D-Pad to switch between web-line and web-shot, which can then be integrated into combat.

Having both punch and kick would allow you to almost create your own combos, without having to interrupt your combat because the game can't process an input of more than five buttons at a time.

Then if you involve the jump button things get really interesting Smiley Tongue

Also, super tired of attacks that involve pausing the button string for a second, or holding a button down to branch off the attack (I'm looking at you WoS)

NYCstreets

I was watching some gameplay and it looks like you can string combos together faster in EoT than in SD. There seems to be no wait period after you do a combo

alakai117
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS