Another redundant discussion about Call of Duty Elite age limits

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

they do put it in the TOS that you have to read

ssfdre381

The thing is that minors are never told they have to be 18 until after they bought the subscription and attempted to sign up. There was no TOS I signed when i bought the hardened edition at Gamestop. I was only notified after i put the code in. Luckily I was 18 and could join, but everyone who is not got royally screwed.

benjamin13

The thing is that the onus is on you as a customer to check before you purchase the item that you will be able to use it. It's like if you are lactose intolerant you check the package before you buy it to see if there is any lactose in it.

dastealth

It's not at all like being lactose intolerant. If a person who is lactose intolerant ingests lactose, then their health is affected negatively, so they are extra careful about not eating or drinking anything with lactose. This is an add-on to a video game, a game that can be legally purchased by 17 year-olds in the United States, and by 16 year-olds in other countries. It is quite logical to assume that they could also use cod elite. I have a 17 year-old friend who went to gamestop and was given their spiel about the benefits of purchasing an elite subscription. Not once was an age requirement mentioned, and there was a pamphlet from Activision with "all the info" about elite. It is a sneaky, underhanded way to cheat many minors out of their hard-earned money.

benjamin13

benjamin13 wrote:

It's not at all like being lactose intolerant. If a person who is lactose intolerant ingests lactose, then their health is affected negatively, so they are extra careful about not eating or drinking anything with lactose. This is an add-on to a video game, a game that can be legally purchased by 17 year-olds in the United States, and by 16 year-olds in other countries. It is quite logical to assumethat they could also use cod elite. I have a 17 year-old friend who went to gamestop and was given their spiel about the benefits of purchasing an elite subscription. Not once was an age requirement mentioned, and there was a pamphlet from Activision with "all the info" about elite. It is a sneaky, underhanded way to cheat many minors out of their hard-earned money.

I think the lesson here is not to assume. It is exactly like the lactose thing. Without research or looking into the product further than what you have heard you are putting your money (health for lactose) at jeopardy. As for Gamestop not telling you about the age restriction, it is not their legal rights to inform you about the product and its restrictions because it is not their product. They are just a reseller. They could tell you everything wrong about the product and it wouldn't be their fault but yours because you didn't research the item. In all if you are that concerned about the ELITE side of it, Take the game back and trade it for the standard edition.

dastealth

I am 17. I bought Mw3 hardened from amazon.com. I checked amazon and there is no mention of being 18 to sign up for COD Elite, nor is their anything about it on the game box. There was no link to the TOS. THERE IS NO WARNING OF RESTRICTIONS UNTIL YOU BUY AND REDEEM THE CODE.

By what some of you are saying, is that I needed to do is go find the COD Elite TOS and thumb through it and make sure I am eligible, when the product and the site I am buying it from make no mention of any age restrictions ((or any restrictions for that matter) other than the ESRB (which I figured was the olny age restriction on a game).

As for the whole contest arguement. Just lock contests for users under 18. I just want acess to the DLC and my founder benfits. Thats all most of the below 18 people want.

Luffwaffle

the game MW3 itself is rated M or +17 to play but Elite is +18 in order to use. MW3 and Elite ARE 2 DIFFERENMT PROGRAMS ON YOUR GAME SYSTEM

ssfdre381

Exactly. They are 2 different and seperate things

dastealth

Yet if you bought the hardened edition, it is not tow seperate things, it is one since you purchased it as one.

Luffwaffle

Fix: Restrict the contests and social networking for under-18's, but allow them to use the rest of the site/app

Do it, no more legal reason shizz, the kids will get what they wanted (majority wanted the Free DLC and founder status), and all is good.

CalumW08

Studios