Another redundant discussion about Call of Duty Elite age limits

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Yeah, I'm sure the average kid is smart enough to look for everything hinting at restrictions...

They just put that there for legal purposes and made no effort to warn people from donating their hard-earned money to the company.

Bloodring

Clearly if we were allowed to play every Call of Duty game, regardless of age, we assume Call of Duty Elite will be no different. Activision, it isn't rocket science, just restrict the competitions and social networking w/e, and allow us to have the free DLC, founder status, and game tracking and strategies. And I bet atleast 75% of the under-18's that ordered Elite was bought by their PARENTS. So the parents obviously give them permission to play CoD and use Elite.

I want either most of the features (except competitions, social networking .etc) given to us, or a complete refund.

CalumW08

Let me get something straight, were it up to me, everyone under the age of 17 would be gone from this game. Most (not all, probably not you) are a bunch of tryhard campers who spend so much time k/d whoring they don't PTFO or even play in such a way that even makes the game fun. Adult players do this too, but not with the same frequency. Furthermore, you really should have looked into this before you bought it, that's what adults do.

That said, the fact that you purchase something and you can't access it is essentially theft. There is large potential for a very ugly lawsuit with this. Either they sold their "product" to minors or they took money from a consumer with the expectation of a product without producing one. I'm not sure, and I'm over 18 so I could care less to look for it, but I'm pretty sure that violates some trade law somewhere. If not, IW has some damn good loophole lawyers.

Ecliptix

Ecliptix wrote:

That said, the fact that you purchase something and you can't access it is essentially theft. There is large potential for a very ugly lawsuit with this. Either they sold their "product" to minors or they took money from a consumer with the expectation of a product without producing one. I'm not sure, and I'm over 18 so I could care less to look for it, but I'm pretty sure that violates some trade law somewhere. If not, IW has some damn good loophole lawyers.

Just counter pointing.

Only problem is that as its been said before plenty of times...the terms conditions and all the other fun legal jargin has been up and present the entire time even when elite was in beta test if you didnt get your beta invite you could still go to the elite site and all the restrictions where there to check out.

Due to age restrictions on games these days you would have to be of age or have a parent buy the game in the first place so using that kind of thought process you would already know that a site such as elite that is geared around the game would have the same kind of age restricted content on it such as the game videos elite TV and all that fun stuff. Every time you either step virtual foot into elite or mw3 you are signing over your right to freak out because NOW some people need to go back and read some legal jargin the second and third time around after they said F it and just hit agree and skipped now that its coming back to bite them in the ass.

So with that being said it couldnt be a lawsuit if it wanted to be....we all bought the game we all hit agree and went to the site and went on the game. Only problem is some of us where old enough to hit agree and skip and others really should have read the thing or at least skimmed it before jumping the gun. Its a game of protection and blame. Blame the kids for not reading the agreement and letting their parents know before spending the money and if it come down to it now one is cheating or stealing from anyone they are protecting or youth from mature content.

psycojj

I can see the problem. But something tells me that this information was out there before you paid the money. If this is the case, then nothing you can say or do will change the fact that you bought a product, with the ABILITY to know full well you can't use it.

Simply put, if this goes to court ever, IW will simply say that the terms and conditions clearly stated you had to be 18 or older to use the service, and if you didn't read the ToS then the fault is completely on the consumers shoulders.

The counter to this will clearly be that your parents gave you permission to purchase the game, and they should be allowed to give you permission to use Elite. However, not all products have the parent loophole. What i mean is, IW does not have to make the service available even WITH parents permission. It is there service and they can allow whoever into said service.

I feel for you, but when it comes to a legal standpoint, you have NO CHANCE at getting a refund of any kind. Your only hope is that they change it and allow you in. Sad but true!!!!

Sherms24

Yes, but most people didn't know there was an Elite site before they heard of the app itself. So, they thought "ooh, bonuses" and went ahead and bought it. However, most people don't read the TOS like you said, but was there any real effort to warn people of this? Of course not. It's like a real estate agent putting fine print in the contract; there, so they said they had a chance, but made it so that they had no idea of its existence. Now, I could understand the restriction if there was some move to warn the kids before they asked their parents to buy said subscription; but there was not. Even I did not know of it until the day prior to release, so how would the average kid be able to find out about this restriction if they weren't told?

There's a difference between putting restrictions on your product and then going and putting it there for the sole purpose of getting donation money. Unless they do something to compensate for the foul-up, there's going to be some real angry customers. Hell, it still accepts your code even though you can't use the app itself; now that's just bull. I'm just hoping I can still get my DLC and Camo normally without the app; otherwise I just contributed to a massive marketing scam...

Bloodring

@Sherms24

The world doesn't work in just a legal standpoint. Call of duty will open their Elite services to the masses due to the simple fact that a very large portion of their fanbase, and consequently would-be Elite users, are under the age 18.
And to be perfectly honest, I didn't know about the age limit until a couple of hours after i got my copy of the hardened edition.

Without opening this to people under the age of 18, profits will be a fraction of what they could be. I'd pay $40 a year for Elite.

Even more sadly, I want my founder status and camo. As in, I'm going to get it. No excuses. Or activision/iw will refund me $40. Don't give me your TOS POS, ratings boards are for tiger moms and over-bearing fathers.

rsjc741

I 100% agree with you..

When I purchased the Hardened Edition I was not told that you had to be 18 to use ELITE. And your right in saying that they should open ELITE to under 18s as the majority of COD gamers and people who will renew their membership are under 18. I only wish the ELITE staff could read the fourms and hear everyones anger and make ELITE available for all ages. I don't see why it isnt available for all ages. Why isnt it? There is no blood and gore ect.. stupid if you ask me or more or less the entire COD community!

Glennbelfast

the reason that it is 18 is due to the contests, if Activision, IW and sledgehammer takes out thoes contests, then leglly they can allow minors under the age of 18 to use Elite, but since they are doing contest, State and Federal Laws require you to be 18+. ESRB is for parents and if they go into gamestop, target, wallmart, bestbuy, etc. and buy it for their kid, then it falls under the parent. Now the TOS (terms of service) agreement does state that you HAVE TO BE the age of 18 to use the service due to the facts of the contests. If you do go to a lawsute, it will be deny and the parents cant say, i want my child to use Elite. Laws are Laws and not even parents cant break them. I'm just sick and tired of kids not reading the TOS, i deal with this all the time at my job and i dont want to see it anymore. Everybody should know how to read and if you dont, then get a friend to help you understand it.

ssfdre381

First of all, they don't know if you use the web. They can't make you go on the internet and read the FAQ's

igotgame102

Studios