Community Spotlight - DXFalcon

Infinite Warfare General Discussions

Highlighted

Community Spotlight - DXFalcon

The Community Spotlight showcases those who are found helpful within the Community Forums or Ambassador Chat.badge.png

The Activision Community Team chooses the recipient, and the beneficiaries of this honor are featured within the community and given a spiffy care package to boot.

This month we’re shining the spotlight on DXFalcon. When he’s not assisting his fellow gamers in the program, he can be found snowboarding, moderating the Call of duty: WWII Reddit page, or spinning some sick beats for his local nightclub.  

-

dxfalcon1.jpgQ: Tell us about yourself.

A: I’m Daniel, a 21-year-old full-time Computer Science undergraduate and part-time DJ from Edinburgh, Scotland. Outside of my studies and work, I’ve been a moderator on the Call of Duty subreddits since early 2015 and an Ambassador since October 29th, 2017.

Gaming has always been a big part of my life. So much so, in fact, that my first time on a console is one of my earliest memories. I was either 2 or 3 and was at my neighbor’s house, and she was showing me her older brother’s new toy – a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis, to the non-Europeans). Her brother came in and fired up the system for us. I distinctly remember the excitement of seeing the main menu screen of Sonic The Hedgehog and the joy felt on beating the first level, which at the time, was the only level we could even get close to finishing. The first system I “owned” was my Mum’s old Game Boy, and the first game I owned was my Dad’s old copy of The Legend Of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. I must have sunk WEEKS into Zelda and Pokémon Blue in my younger years.

Q: You jumped into the program with both feet running, and have helped an impressive number of gamers already. What made you want to sign up for the program?

A: I’d initially heard of the Ambassador program through Twitter when the IW Ambassador Calling Card competition went live. I found my way to the Ambassadors page, gave the information a bit of a read and discounted it there and then. At the time, I figured I would be too busy dealing with the Call of Duty subreddits, DJing, and my university work to commit to something like the Ambassador Program without feeling like I was neglecting something. That said, even from my initial read of the website, the program appealed to me. It sounded like an excellent way to get some experience in a field which I am interested in working in further down the line. It also seemed like I could use the knowledge that I had accrued from my time on the subreddits to make a real difference and help to sort out other gamers’ problems as best as I could.

A few months later, I was playing Infinite Warfare Zombies with someone from the r/CallOfDuty discord, and they were rocking one of the Ambassador calling cards in the game. It reminded me of the program’s existence, so I did a bit more research into it, had a bit of a chat with my friend about it. I liked what I’d heard, so I sent off an application a few days later. A month and a half went by, and I’d forgotten about sending the form off until the end of October when I saw an e-mail from the Ambassador team in my inbox saying I’d been accepted and the rest, as they say, is history.

Q: Would you mind explaining the origin of your Ambassador name?

A:  The name DXFalcon is based off my old Gamertag & forum name of DX115FALCON. I’ve tried to move away from using the full version over the past 3 or so years. The name breaks down into two parts:

1. “DX” is born of a typo. I was going for my initials, “DC”, but it was late at night, and I guess that I must have mistyped it on an old keyboard. I occasionally consider changing it to the intended DCFalcon, but I don’t think it has the same ring to it anymore.
  2. "Falcon" was because, at the time of coming up with my username, I was actively volunteering at a Falconry center at weekends and on school breaks. As a result of that and my growing interest in learning how to DJ properly, I'd was being called "DJ Falcon" around my high school for a while and, by that point, I guess it just stuck.

When I started producing my music remixes back in mid-2014, I dropped the “115” from the name, and haven’t used it outside of my old gamertags, Reddit and Twitter since.

Q: What are some of your favorite games, and what makes them your favorite? 

A: Honestly this is just about the hardest question for me to answer, as there are SO many games I’ve loved in my many years of gaming.

When I was younger, I put a lot of time into Star Wars Battlefront II, the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series and the remarkable SSX series on the PSX and PS2. Around the same time, I got into Nintendo’s handheld systems. In particular, Pokemon Sapphire on the Game Boy Advance and such DS classics as Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. From there, I started playing games on the Wii including Call of Duty: World At War, which began my love of the franchise, Monster Hunter Tri & Smash Bros Brawl. The Wii edition of Resident Evil 4 was also a favorite of mine.

These days, I’m more of a shooter/stealth games fan. Recent COD titles, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and Rocksteady’s latest Batman Arkham games have all been games that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. I think these games stand out due to flawless game design, stunning visuals, tight gameplay and, more recently, games that give you a sense of serious pride & accomplishment when you perform specific tasks. A killer soundtrack is also a huge selling point for me, as I find myself relating music that I can remember to enjoyable experiences. For example, to this day I enjoy listening to game soundtracks like SSX On Tour & Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4 because I have so many good gaming memories that played out to those songs.

Q: Do you have a favorite Call of Duty title? Do you have a preferred game mode?

A: I’d say that I don’t have a favorite Call of Duty game, as there’s something in everyone that I enjoy, but the best overall packages, in my opinion, have been Infinite Warfare and World at War. Both pack in everything I look for in a COD game: Great Zombies, a compelling story campaign and very fun, fast-paced multiplayer.

Favorite game modes tend to vary from game to game. For instance, I’m a huge fan of Zombies in World at War, Black Ops, and Infinite Warfare but not so much in Black Ops 2 or Advanced Warfare. I loved multiplayer in Black Ops 3 but wasn’t fond of the campaign.

That said, I love War mode in WWII and, if my team-mates ever played the objective instead of grinding out weapon challenges, it would easily be my favorite individual game mode in any COD game. A couple more maps would be beneficial though, as there’s only so many times you can stand hearing that “the enemy is building a bridge!” before the announcer voice lines start to grind on you.

Q: When you’re not busy helping fellow gamers in the Ambassador program and moderating the COD: WWII Reddit page, what do you like to do in yourdxfalcon2.png free time?

A: While I’m studying as a full-time student, free time has become a precious commodity that is usually reserved for sleeping, gaming and music production or listening – which is easily my favorite way to pass the time. When I’ve got the time (or if my wallet is looking empty), I DJ a funk & soul night at local nightclubs which is a load of fun. It gives me a chance to share some of the best new music that I’ve discovered since my last set, which is something that I always enjoy. I also go clay pigeon shooting with some of my friends from the university Clay Pigeon Society when money allows.

When I’ve got time off during the summer and winter holidays, I like to spend my time outdoors if possible, even though the Scottish weather doesn’t make that an easy task! Over winter, I love to hit the mountains of the world on either skis or my snowboard. In the past 15 years, I’ve done snow sports everywhere from Finland & Austria to Canada. During summer, I like to catch as much sun as is humanly possible, so I find myself out in the US and the warmer parts of Europe a lot. While out of the UK, I like to fish, surf, shoot, kayak and drive powerboats.

Q: Do you have pets?

A: I have got two goldfish that seem to be completely invincible.

Q: What is your most significant gaming achievement?

A: In Call of Duty, I’ve earned every achievement in the Black Ops series, beat Infinite Warfare’s #YOLO campaign difficulty (which was tough) and reached round 76 playing Der Riese Zombies in World at War.

Outside of the CoD franchise, I’ve completed a Pokemon Platinum “NUZLOCKE” challenge where you must release any fainted Pokemon, only catch the first Pokemon encountered in each area and restart your game if you lose a battle. I was also, for a brief time, in the top 20 UK players for Mortal Kombat (2011).

Q: Do you have any takeaways from the program?

A: My main takeaway from the program would be that there are hardly any online gaming connection problems that can’t be sorted out by restarting your system and router. That, and when you’ve got a great team of people working together, you can do almost anything!

Advice for those looking to join the program: Just go for it. People will always need help, and you might just be the one who can solve their problem!

-

Congratulations Daniel! Thank you for taking the time to help your fellow gamers!

Community Coordinator

Studios