cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHIELD TV series

HeroHQ

Re: SHIELD TV series

in reply to Iron24

I finally caught up and watched the third episode (just in time to avoid this thread again for the fourth!)  It was a pretty good episode. So far the things that are drawing me back are the fact that it is Marvel, I want to know the mystery behind Coulson's resurrection, and I'm giving the show some time to get it's footing (not sure how long I need to wait!). 
There's nothing yet that makes me wait to say "I love this show!".  The season is still pretty young though. 

I agree with Iron about Coulson in his suit.  It's almost like that has become his super hero costume since we've only ever seen him in a suit.  Hopefully the show runners realize that the audience will still recognize him if he's wearing something else, especially if he's going to be seeing action in the field.  Unless the suit has something to do with why he's alive......

I think they are putting Skye front and center a lot because she is supposed to be the audience's connection as an outsider to the whole SHIELD organization.  I don't really think that is necessary (at least beyond what they already did in the pilot) and I'm eager to see more development of the rest of the team.  I think I am most excited to learn more about Melinda May.

Jadryx1

in reply to Hawkeye

Four episodes in and we got what I think is the first really good episode.  The fake out with the masked men wasn't telegraphed so it was a nice surprise when ya find out they aren't some weird villain group.  I also like how the teased the idea of the black woman being a telepath or having precog and how in the post-Avengers world ya have to keep your mind open about any possibility.  That it turned out she had a fake eye was a good twist and that she was being ordered by a mystery person, who is later revealed to be ordered by someone else.  It sets up a great mystery and a future bad guy for later in the season.  I also thought it was great to things get a bit dirtier, with the bloody eye and the guy's mangled wrist.  The last few episodes have been "milk and cookies" as Iron likes to say, haha, and I think throwing in a little blood ups the ante.

Melinda May was awesome as usual in this episode.  Her fight scene was pretty fun and I liked her sandpaper dry smartass reply to Coulson pestering about flying.  I also thought they showed a lot more subtlety in connecting May to the black woman, in that they're both loners and don't particularly have the patience to work within a team.  Though I thought it was pretty silly that Coulson kept sticking her on the plane instead of out in the field when she's clearly better trained and now is willing to get back in the action.  Just having her stand over a map or watch a screen is a waste of her talent, especially when you have the kids moaning about snacks and bathroom breaks.  Again, the downside of the episode was Sky being annoying and the genius twins acting way too immature for SHIELD agents.  I know they're supposed to be green, but this is SHIELD, not summer camp.  They gotta get it together since May can't be the only cool character.  They developed Coulson more, showing the soft spot he has for his protege and the remark he had about second chances was interesting, but I still can't find myself caring for him.  Gregg just doesn't have enough acting range or charisma for my liking.

Lastly, I gotta say I hated the "joke" at the end with Sky using the glasses to look at Ward naked (without his knowledge).  It's supposed to be cute and cheeky, but to me, it's incredibly sleezy.  Even if Sky was lying to Fitz about being able to see people naked, it's still pretty tasteless.  I hated the way Ward got squeamish over the order to seduce a man too.  I don't necessarily object to him hesitating, since his character seems pretty tight assed that he probably couldn't seduce a woman either (he's clearly no James Bond), but the way he reacted...It made me shake my head.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

Didn't read your post Hawk because I wont watch until tomorrow so will post then.

Jad you are right on with your Skye assessment and I do hope they drop that and let the other characters shine if this show is to succeed she cannot be the one of the main, main characters rather just part of the team where everybody gets somewhat equal billing, her included. Yeah she is fairly hot, but she doesn't have the charisma and gravitas to be one of the two leads, which is where they seem to be trying to go with her and Ward while giving the rest of the team less to do. Hopefully they move in that direction.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

I don't think it's that Skye doesn't have charisma or gravitas, I just find her character to be annoying.  Fitz and Simmons seem out of place as members of SHIELD, but I don't dislike them like I do with Skye.  She's just as out of place as they are, but acts far too arrogant and even when she's humbled it doesn't come off well, to me.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

I don't find her as irritating as you do but do agree she needs to be toned down just a bit.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

Watched the episode and like Hawk it is definitely the best and most complete episode yet. It has some grit, some suspense, and some really nice touches. I thought the way they ended it with Amador being able to go to sleep without asking permission was touching without being melodramatic. The episode flowed well and felt whole.

Love May and loved her fight, she is so physically awesome that one more person is just no match for her. she seemed like two steps ahead of her opponent and the casual way she dodged the knife was fantastic.

Coulsen was better and I really like how they are going about setting up the fact that something is just not quite the same with him. Amador and May's conversation at the end of the show was intriguing. But really they humanized Coulsen more this episode and Gregg did a better job of acting this episode.

I also agree with Hawk that I am really sick of the two science geeks acting like they are 12, it is getting really irritating and it is not funny. I can also see that Skye is going to be one of the top two or three leading characters on the show and still don't like it. She just is not that compelling of a character and almost seems gratuitous. They could have combined her and the female scientist into one  character, make her smart, confident and a woman. Instead we have one lady who is a giggly girl who probably is still a virgin and a smart ass hot chick with no real charisma or purpose.

Definitely liked seeing a little bit of blood and mess and the guest star did a really good job throughout

If they keep making good episodes like this I am definitely going to keep watching and hopefully we will see some maturation and development for the whole cast.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

I don't think they should've combined Simmons and Skye, but you're right about Skye lacking a role within the team other than to be the audience POV.  Everything Skye can do, Fitz should be able to do, but they keep having his character be incompetent so that Skye can have something to do.  Fitz is supposed to be the tech genius to Simmons biology genius.  Skye being a slightly different kind of tech whiz kid is a bit redundant.  I think if they dropped the hacker stuff and focused on her being more of a con artist it'd give her more of a solid role since the rest of the team would be pretty terrible at it, haha.

I don't mind Simmons being bubbly, Jan is a bubbly character and she's one of my favorites.  The writing just needs to cut it with the jokes that make her look bad (the snacks/bathroom break stuff), develop her character beyond just being bubbly, and let her save the day to show she's got the stuff to be a SHIELD agent.  Hopefully we'll see that happen in the coming episodes.  We've got May coming along nicely after a pretty quite start so let's hope that Fitz and Simmons follow behind her.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

It is more the weird smile she is always wearing that bothers me, it is just really strange. She acts like she is a baby instead of an adult. They are not only using Skye as a bridge for the viewer, which is kind of insulting really, but also as a bridge between science and action, which again isn't necessary There is no real role for her and that is why I suggested that they should have combined the characters. Since that ship has sailed they have to figure out a way to define her role a little better.

May still needs more time out in the field and less sitting around on the plane.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

I will solve your problem with Skye... She should've been a thief!  Thieves are super cool (and I'm a bit obsessed with thieves, of course), and there's no thieves in SHIELD!  Skye totally should've been a thief, breaking into buildings, picking locks, lifting security badges, and all that good thief stuff their team needs.  Not to mention that it'd make their training her to be a field agent make more sense.  Right now, she's a hacker, so why is she going in the field if Fitz isn't?  Also, did I mention that thieves are just plain cool?

Anyway, on to the episode:

I thought it was pretty good.  It was cool to see how Coulson felt responsible for what happened with her and to get some more setup for Coulson's big reveal later on.  Of course, I like Coulson more than you all do, but I thought it was another solid episode for Coulson. 

Melinda May is still awesome.  She likes the solitude of flying, and Coulson knows he shouldn't mess with her.  She still needs more screentime and to actually go into the field now. 

I liked the part where Ward had to try to seduce the guard, actually, since I thought it totally fit him to be so stiff and awkward about it, being as uptight as he is.  Even when he tried to talk sports with the guy, you could tell how stiff he was even without speaking the language he was using.  Overall, I think it might've been Ward's best episode so far.  He played the irritated big brother role well throughout the episode.

Fitz and Simmons were okay, though I think this was their weakest episode so far.  I can't think of any memorable lines from them this week, which I could've in the earlier episodes so that says something.  They each need an episode where one of them can be the focus and be the star to really come into their own, I think. 

Overall, I liked the setup with the agent and the way they set it up as seeming like ESP but it actually wasn't.  You could tell she wasn't exactly the warmest person in the world which made them think she was behind the thefts at first.  They set her up as being someone who doesn't work well with others and all that.  And then to have it all turn around to have her controlled by someone else who was being controlled was an interesting way to turn it all on its head.  I'm thinking this group is tied up with the group from the first episode, since they had some pretty crazy technology, too, but I guess we'll see. 

Rogue_Shadow1

in reply to Hawkeye

Tonight episode didn't really do all that much for me.  There was a lot to do with Skye getting busted for trying to help her hacker boyfriend and shockingly, I couldn't care.  It had me smacking my head though when they brought Skye into the field and even let her boyfriend use the SHIELD computer while Fitz and Simmons were standing there being useless.  Why put your trust into two people that just betrayed you when you have two super geniuses twiddling their thumbs.  And all they did was unlock doors.  Ya would think Fitz could've handled that.  Though I don't get why they'd want to unlock the doors.  They had Scorch contained and while Coulson and May were at risk being in there with him, why would ya want to unlock the doors to let him out and possibly kill a lot more people?  Seemed like a bit of fuzzy logic to me.  And Coulson really should've stopped trying to shoot the flame shield after like the second bullet did nothing.

Again, May was pretty awesome and had a pretty hands-on role in this one that I enjoyed.  They've also almost entirely cut out the too-silly gags, I think there was only one in this one.  The Scorch guy was pretty good in his role and the girl in the flower dress played the charismatic evil role well.  Did they say who she was talking to at the end?

So, overall I thought this was an alright episode, that I don't really have a strong opinion on either way.  Wasn't awful, wasn't great.  Despite moving the plot, with the centipede and Skye's allegiance, it just felt kinda there.

Hawkeye Level 74
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS