cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHIELD TV series

HeroHQ

Re: SHIELD TV series

in reply to Hawkeye

Well it was a definite improvement over the last week's and one of the better ones this year. Lots of Fitz and Simmons and they both did a really good job. It was good that they were given the driving role in the show and both Fitz and Simmons do something very brave. The emotion in the entire show was well done and even a bit touching so I liked that. Also we got to know more about Fitz and Simmons and that made the episode for me. Also Coulsen showed some depth and emotion. Both Skye and Ward, for the most part, take a very minor role. So overall give the show a B and hope they can continue down this path. My only complaint was that it was virus and not a malevolent invisible force that Fitz and Simmons would have had to use their science to stop, but overall much better.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

Pretty cool episode this week! 

I think I've generally liked Fitz and Simmons more than you all have so far, but I think we all wanted to see them get some more screen time to give them a chance to develop more, and this episode definitely did that.  We got to start with Fitz and Simmons both mocking Ward's action guy role, which was awesome, and then it got way more serious after that.  The twist that it was a virus instead of just a weapon was nice, I thought, so it wasn't just someone looking for revenge or something.  I also liked the moment where Ward said that he didn't like having to deal with a virus since he shoot it or do anything about it.  Ward's better in small doses like he was in this episode, I think. 

But the stuff with Simmons getting infected was pretty crazy.  Sure, I didn't think she'd die or anything so early in the show, but it was interesting to see them have to deal with a life-or-death situation like that.  The differences between Fitz and Simmons were brought a little more into focus, too, seeing how Simmons is the more adventurous of the two and a little disturbingly into dead things (unlike Fitz, who can't stand the smell... or maybe is afraid of being haunted by them or something).  I liked the scene where they argued about going out into the field, especially.  It's something that was brought up earlier, but I think that scene worked really well to show that they have their differences but are pretty much always going to be working together.

Coulson's getting pretty rebellious with SHIELD right now, which makes you wonder if something's gonna come up eventually with him butting heads with them a little more directly.  Especially when we get the big revelation with what's up with his return from death, since I bet he won't be too happy about being lied to. 

I'd like to see them not mention the Avengers or the Battle of New York in one episode, though.  The virus worked pretty well in this episode, I think, but they're gonna have to step away from the connections to the Avengers eventually. 

Also, I thought the moment with Melinda May giving the guy cookies during the "interrogation" was hilarious, mainly because it felt so out of place for her.  I'm sure she wouldn't do that in a real interrogation, but it was awesome in that scene.  Now that Fitzsimmons finally got an episode, maybe it's time for a Melinda May episode?!  I sure hope so...

Rogue_Shadow1

in reply to Rogue_Shadow1

Rogue agree with all of your points. I want May to be the main character in the next episode, please. Did enjoy the humor at Ward's expense and you know that hug that Skye gave Simmons was really sweet and just felt good to me, really liked that. Overall this is what I want to see more of, character development, drama and to take it up a notch let's get some bad ass bad guys rolling out.

Iron24

in reply to Rogue_Shadow1

If I were to write a review of the episode it would sound a lot like what RS wrote.  I think this one was my most liked episode so far.  There was a good mix of humor, drama, and a bit of action.  Those little hints about Coulson are intruiging too.  The show is still not as great as I hoped it would be, but it is improving so hopefully it will get there.  You can count my vote for a Melinda May centered episode too.  It's definitely her turn!

Jadryx1

in reply to Hawkeye

So, I still didn't see last week's episode cause...I forgot.  But I did see today's episode!  First the good, I really liked the meat of the episode which was about Ward and Fitz sneaking across the border to steal   I liked seeing Simmons kinda freak out about Fitz going into the field and mothering him to make sure he was well prepared.  You could tell that this was an episode written after the pilot with Simmons comment about finishing sentences being a bad habit and Fitz feeling like he has to prove he's not just some silly tech geek.  The bit of conflict between Ward trying to overprotect Fitz and Fitz taking exception to it, felt like a genuine conflict that their characters should have, but it does really make the second episode stand out like a sore thumb.  But I like this conflict MUCH better.  Like I mentioned, it was genuine.  Both actors did well with the roles and it was good to see a range of emotions in both characters.  it was also fun to see the kinda awkward, but relieved reunion between Fitz and Simmons when he got back.

Again, I didn't like the Skye side of the episode.  Her demand to know all the in's and out's of a spy organization was more than a little naive and arrogant, especially when she's still wearing the bracelet for punishment of betraying them.  You'd think she'd have the common sense to say "yeah, I can't blame you", but instead complains and tries to hack into SHIELD.  Yeah, I wonder why they don't trust you.  I also didn't get why there was no extraction for Fitz and Ward.  Victoria was saying something to Sitwell, but I missed it.  She mentioned Clint (yay, reference!) and Natasha don't have planned extraction, hinting that their missions are damn near suicidal, but didn't they want to get the weapon out of the bad guys hands so they can't use it to set off missiles.  I guess this was supposed to be some kind of test, which is why Simmons isn't fired and Skye in jail?

Anyway, if ya ignore the Skye parts, I thought it was a really good episode.  Great to see Fitz show off his skills and why he's part of SHIELD and not just a joke.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

A solid episode and by far the best part was the interaction and action surrounding Fitz and Ward, Like Hawk said it felt natural. I am very happy they are developing the other characters and I hope this continues with May now it is her turn to get an episode or five dedicated mostly to her. The non-extraction thing was poorly written they could have at least told Ward and to compare Ward and Fitz to Hawkeye and Black Widow is pretty laughable. Of course Hawkeye and BW have non-extraction missions because they are about the most capable non super powered heroes in the world. But that aside  Fitz was the right choice with his skills and it was great to see him put them to use in more way than one. I liked the bar scene and how he had set up a contingency plan in case things didn't work out, yay Fitz.

I agree with Hawk the Skye parts were bad and it almost seems like she is an idiot savant. Really one of the biggest spy operations in the world has compartmentalized security and need to know situations, for goodness sakes she seems like a naive idiot. It was also way too easy for her to convince Simmons to go against the rules. The show would be better off with her off of the show but it aint going to happen because she is eye candy. Now I don't have anything against eye candy if they can act and progress the show but every time Skye is on the screen I sigh and shake my head. She is extremely irritating and really superfluous.

However the the set up for this show is how real life people deal with a world of super heroes and villains and the threat was your standard plot for any spy show. I want to see the Shield team dealing with super powered threats, villains and plots not the same stuff we have seen in a hundred different espionage and thriller shows and movies.

Iron24

in reply to Iron24

Yeah, I think we both agree that where the other characters have been growing and becoming a lot more likeable, Skye is still lagging behind.  Fitz and Simmons started out pretty rough, but I think they've slowly become some of the stronger parts of the cast.  May is still the best (loved her silence in that scene with Coulson, haha), but I think Fitz and Simmons have now passed Ward, who's still a bit too dry.  At least for me.  I also think that if Simmons wasn't stuck in the dumpy sweaters and clothes, she'd fill the eye candy quotient quite nicely, haha.  Elizabeth Henstridge is pretty hot, do a google search of how she looks outside the show.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

I'd really recommend watching the episode before this one at some point, Hawk.  It's my favorite episode so far, though you do miss a bit of the effect of it by having seen this episode already, I guess. 

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good episode with a couple issues that hold it back.  The Fitz and Ward stuff was awesome.  It was nice to see them split off from the team, and it was especially interesting to see how Fitz and Simmons dealt with being separated for once.  Fitz and Simmons keep getting better.  I also loved Ward's list of ideas about how to get them out of being hostages, and it was made better by how he said it all with a straight face.  I think Ward's getting better each episode now, even if he's still not my favorite on the show or anything.  The whole dynamic between Fitz and Ward was great, and like Hawk said, the conflict between them really made sense for them to have. 

As always, Melinda May was awesome.  Her silent moment with Coulson was awesome, especially the little eye roll at the end.  We totally need a May-focused episode.  Everyone's had one by now, so it's gotta be her turn... right?  I also liked seeing how Coulson realizes something's up with himself, and it looks like he's gonna be digging deeper into all this soon. 

But some of the stuff with SHIELD was kinda iffy.  I liked that they played up the idea that SHIELD can do things that aren't maybe morally great with sending Ward and Fitz to die basically, but it made no sense when the rest of the team is literally sitting in a plane with nothing to do.  Why not just tell them to do the extraction?  It made SHIELD out to be leaving them to die for no reason, and then Hand just lets them off the hook for all the shenanigans they were up to the whole time.  It just didn't totally match up. 

And here's the part where we all complain about Skye!  Credit where credit is due: I loved the moment when she asked May which "non-expression" she was making at the moment.  But she kinda makes no sense with her stance on SHIELD.  I actually agree that SHIELD is super shady and tough to trust with all their secrets, regardless of whether it's the best way to handle things or not.  There's nothing wrong with not trusting huge government spy organizations, but it makes no sense that she's still part of the team.  Coulson actually asks her if she wants to be a SHIELD agent, and she says that she does even though she clearly hates SHIELD.  Sure, you could say that she's planning to betray them, but everyone on the team should see that it's not a good fit for her to work with SHIELD.  At all. 

Also, think it's worth pointing out that I think you got it backward on the eye candy thing, Iron.  I wouldn't say that they made Skye an important character because they got a good-looking actress to play her.  I'd say they hired the actress because they planned on Skye being an important character.  Which is a little sad, since Skye is the worst character of the group, in my opinion.

Rogue_Shadow1

in reply to Hawkeye

@Rogue - I think the reason why Simmons and May weren't involved was because it wasn't Coulson's operation, it was Victoria Hand's.  She created the plan and picked who would be involved with the mission and Simmons didn't have the clearance or qualifications to be involved.  May could've been involved since she had the qualifications and the clearance, or any other agent in SHIELD that bits the bill, but maybe SHIELD wanted to deny involvement if they got caught?  Kinda like a Mission Impossible deal.  That doesn't explain why she shrugged off Simmonds tazering Sitwell and Skye hacking into SHIELD though.  Or that May hovering above the facility in a jet emblazoned with a big ass SHIELD logo, haha.

I think Skye likes the team and wants to know what's up with her parents, but doesn't like SHIELD, the big faceless organization.  Or I think that's what they're going for.  Kinda like how you can like someone that works at your local Gamestop, but hate Gamestop the corporate entity.  If she doesn't wanna trust SHIELD, that's her business, but it's highly hypocritical for her to assume they should trust her after the stunts she pulled.  If you want people to trust you, ya can't go around telling everyone about the adult diapers they bought.

Hawkeye Level 74

in reply to Hawkeye

Yeah, but it makes no sense for Hand to come in and take some of Coulson's team and ask the rest of them to sit around and twiddle their thumbs.  You could say that they wanted to keep it more of a secret like you said, but it still doesn't all match up with how they ignored what Simmons and Skye did.  They were just really inconsistent there, I think.  You can't really have it both ways with them leaving Fitz and Ward to die but also looking the other way with all that stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking that she likes the team and not the big organization, but it's tough to see why they'd accept her on the team when they're a part of SHIELD and she clearly wants nothing to do with SHIELD.  Then again, there's like 10 times already when they should've kicked her off the team, so I guess Coulson just really doesn't like firing people.  Too much paperwork involved with it. 

Rogue_Shadow1
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS