cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

HeroHQ

Had tickets for tonight at 7:20, nice date with my wife.  Babysitter's kid got sick (babysitter = sister in law).  My kid got sick.  Wife is somewhat sick.  Looks like I'm not going.  Extremely bummed.

Jadryx1

Okay here is my review for the new Cap film I am letting it all out so watch out Major Spoilers Ahead Do not Read any further if you have not seen the Movie!!!!

Wow!! This was a fantastic movie! Really did not miss a beat, well constructed, well acted, great action, some moving moments with real feeling, some humor, all in all the best Marvel film since the Avengers and in fact this moves into my top three just a smidge behind Avengers and IM1.

This really played a bit like a Bond film with an incredible opening action sequence where we get to see what Cap can do to a bunch of pirates on a boat when he is going all out, really well shot sequence. Then you throw in the espionage with BW doing her own thing. Just before that they did a great job of introducing us to Sam, the Falcon, with a pretty funny scene of Cap zipping by the guy like fifteen times on the mall in DC as they are both jogging, or in Steve's case running 13 miles in 30 minutes, lol.

The espionage angle was well conceived with Fury finding out he cannot access the data he had BW get and then a very cool scene where they come after Fury and man is his SUV one tough son of a gun, I mean that thing can take a beating and then some. Then when Fury gets on his SUV machine gun, wish I had one for when traffic is bad, he just lets loose blowing people away followed by a great chase scene of course ending with the  scene we have seen from the trailer with WS taking out Fury's car. Let me quickly express my disappointment with the trailers they just reveal too much, this scene would have been much cooler if I could have seen it fresh, but anyway WS is a bad ass.

Now we get the first twist although again the trailers pretty much gave this away where we have Shield turning on Cap making him a fugitive, but the fight scene in the elevator is incredible, well shot and intense and a lot harder for Cap then the trailer showed, which was awesome. Really loved all the tells Cap saw that helped him determine he was going to have some trouble.

The biggest twist in the movie, which was a great surprise, was that Hydra had infiltrated Shield when they brought in Zola back in the 50's and that they systemically took out people in Shield, like Howard Stark, so people didn't figure out they were twisting Shield and the world. Zola as an AI was really good and interesting.

Loved how they teamed up with Sam, the Falcon, and the whole kidnapping Sidwell, I did like the continuity of how he is tied into the show through the TV series, Sidwell the Shield agent was funny especially how he gets it in the end, but then the next action sequence is fantastic with tons of great moments. BW just being so awesome escaping, trying to out think WS, Cap getting blown off the bridge into the bus looked so doggone real that you felt the impact, WS just being a bad ass and calmly taking everybody down and then the great fight with Cap, wow!!

One twist that I saw coming a mile away was that Fury wasn't killed, I mean if you follow Marvel at all Fury has been killed a dozen times and always  turns up alive later so I knew he wasn't dead. I did like how Cap took over the mission though and how everybody backed him up over Fury.

Now one of the best and most emotional parts of the movie is where Steve takes over the PA system at the Triskillion and explains what is happening and makes an appeal to those who are not Hydra agents since it seems fully half of Shield is actually Hydra. Evans did  a great job of making me feel that moment it was pitch perfect, motivating, touching and man it led to some of the coolest stuff with true Shield agents squaring off against Hydra agents and it was scary too because the Shield agents who were not Hydra had no idea if the person standing next to them was a good guy or bad guy. Really liked that Emily, star of the show Revenge, plays Sharon Carter and of course she is tough and takes on Hydra in a bad ass way. Also like that they had the geeky guy at the control panel show that you don't have to be a super solider to have tons of courage, his refusal to launch those helicarriers was as brave as any action in the film.

Finally you get the the final action sequence and it plays out well, loved the teamwork of Hill, BW, Falcon and Cap, each of them played an integral role. I have to admit I was very surprised when the old lady who is on the World council starts kicking Hydra agents ass all over the place and I am thinking, this is one super tough old chick, then of course she touches her face to pull of a mask and reveal it is BW but until that moment I thought maybe the old broad had been special forces when she was younger and was still keeping up her training, lol. Anyway lots of great moments throughout culminating with Steve and Bucky going head to head in a fantastic fight. All really good stuff and of course Cap just keeps on going no matter how many times he is shot and saves the day. Then once again they got me with a touching moment where Cap quotes what Bucky had to said to him years ago had to fight back a tear as he lets Bucky pound the crap out of him.

They wrapped it up nicely with Shield pretty going down or at the very least rendered completely ineffective, Hydra still out there, Fury staying dead except for those who know and Cap and Falcon on the hunt for Bucky.

The final credit scene with QS and SW was pretty cool and of course leads to some speculation that they are going to be like a trojan horse for the Avengers, hmm. I am pretty sure the Hydra guy at the end was Baron Von Strucker, so that is cool. Also like how Sharon Carter was developed and she will be in the next Cap movie.

There is really nothing to complain about in this movie it was all so spot on and I hope all you guys get to watch it today or this weekend, it is sooooooooooo good!!!!

Jad really sorry about all the illness, sneak out and watch the film.

Iron24

DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE MOVIE!!!

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

This was the most awesome movie ever.  It's totally my new favorite Marvel movie.  It doesn't hurt that it has a couple of my favorite characters in Widow and Cap, but it was just an all-around great movie.

I'm not gonna repeat everything you said, Iron, since you pretty much hit a lot of the awesome moments like Cap's speech, the courageous geeky dude, and the awesome part with Zola.  I really liked how they brought him back kinda like the old robot Zola from the comics, and it was interesting to see how Hydra was so insidiously intertwined with SHIELD.  It's like that story in the comics where they discovered that Hydra was secretly running SHIELD, and it even tied into other characters like Iron Man by having Howard killed by them. 

I also really liked how we saw the totally different ways Cap and Widow approached things.  Even in that first mission on the boat, Cap's just beating people up while Widow's actually shooting them, and she's focused on handling the intel while Cap's focused on saving the hostages.  You could even see their different approaches when they were hiding from SHIELD.  I remember one scene where Cap's planning how to take out the agents in a fight, but Widow just takes the deceptive, psychological angle by kissing Cap because public displays of affection make people uncomfortable, which will stop the agents from focusing on them.  Even at the end, Cap's doing his thing fighting Bucky and never giving up, no matter how many times he gets shot and beat up, while Widow does the more stealthy stuff of sneaking in by pretending to be a council member. 

Falcon was also pretty cool as Cap's sidekick.  They had a really fun dynamic, especially with Cap running past him all the time at the beginning.  "On your left!"  It was pretty fun. 

Bucky was great, too.  He was totally intimidating the whole time.  Not even Cap could really beat him in a fight.  You could tell he was really messed up from all the mind-wipes and the freezing.  The flashback to when they were younger was nice, too, especially with Cap quoting him later.  I was surprised to see they didn't wrap up Bucky's story in the movie, but I'm glad they didn't.  They're gonna need a lot more time to get Bucky's memory back, which I'm sure will be a big part of Cap 3.  It'll also be interesting to see what they do with Sharon Carter then.  I don't think they ever used her last name in the movie, so I'm guessing they're saving that little revelation for the sequel. 

Speaking of Cap 3, this really sets up an interesting situation for after the movie.  SHIELD's pretty much gone (at least temporarily), Fury's going to Europe, Cap and Falcon are going after Bucky, and Widow's past has been revealed to the world.  I'm actually wondering if the past from SHIELD's files is even the whole truth about her.  They've said more of her past will come up in Avengers 2 and later, so I wonder if we'll get some of the comics Widow stuff with her being super old and all of that.  I noticed they said she was born in 1984 in the movie, but that would be coming from SHIELD's files, so it might not be accurate.  Either way, it's interesting how she's been spending lots of time in the movies trying to make up for her past, but she had to just reveal it to the world now at the end of the movie.  I also thought it was interesting how she said that they "know where to find us."  That got me thinking we might have the Avengers coming together in Avengers Tower by the start of Avengers 2, after spending most of Phase 2 all split up. 

Also, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver with Strucker!  Not much to say about that, except that it's going to be awesome. 

Rogue_Shadow1

I'm surprised Hawk has not chimed in yet, maybe he liked it so much that he had a heart attack at the theater.

Rogue they did say Sharon's name at the very end, Natasha says how about your old neighbor and he says yeah what was her name again and she says, Carter, Sharon Carter.

They did a really nice job of making us like Falcon right from the get go and he was great in all of his scenes.

You are right that Cap and BW have totally different approaches because each has different strengths. As far as Cap and WS fighting it seemed to me that when it mattered Cap could have taken WS down like when he ruined his robot arm in the first big fight and then he beats WS but leaves him semi conscious on the ground to put in the chip since time was running down.

Did you see where Maria Hill is applying at Stark International, lol. So in the next Shield do we find out that Victoria Hand is Hydra? She was always with Sidwell, so maybe she is. Next episode should be really interesting.

So not surprised Rogue that this is your favorite and maybe if they would have IM in it a lot it would have been my fav too, lol.

Guys what trailers did you see? I have never seen more superhero trailers before a movie in my life, started with Guardians one, then X-Men days of Future past, then Spidey 2 which looks really cool and then the Lucy one with Scarlet basically becoming a god, pretty awesome. They also showed the Godzilla one with Bryan Cranston as the star and he was really acting so this Godzilla movie looks like it is going to have a heart and man Godzilla was gigantic and really scary looking. The destruction they were showing was awesome, might have to see that one in the theater.

Iron24

MORE SPOILERS!

They did?  I thought Widow just told Cap that her name was Sharon without saying the last name.  Maybe I just didn't hear it then.

Yeah, Falcon was like your everyman who you could relate to easily.  He reacted like anyone would by being excited to meet Captain America and all that.  Well, I'm not sure anyone would get in a flightsuit and fight Hydra, but you get the point.

Yeah, it was good  to not have Cap and Widow really overshadow the other because they were generally using their different strengths to do different things.  It was Cap's movie, but it didn't really feel like they had to make her into his sidekick or anything to make it work.  Yeah, Cap did pretty much beat Bucky in the second fight, I guess, but it definitely wasn't easy.  It was awesome to see Bucky save Cap in the end, too.  It was expected, but it was nice to leave the story with Bucky saving him but still leaving without talking to him because he still doesn't know who he is.  He just knows that he kinda remembers him. 

Haha, yeah, it was weird to see her at Stark International.  Maybe she'll be working with them at Avengers Tower in Avengers 2?  They could use some help coordinating all kinds of missions.  I would bet Hand must be with Hydra.  I know we all wanted to see Agents of SHIELD be a SHIELD vs. Hydra story, and it looks like we're finally getting our wish!

Haha, of course it needed more Iron Man for you!  I obviously liked having a movie with Cap and Widow as the focus.  It makes me wonder what Hawkeye was doing, though, since he's with SHIELD.  What was he doing while SHIELD burned to the ground?  Taking a vacation over at Banner's place? 

Also, did you hear the reference to Dr. Strange?  They've been talking about making a movie for him soon, so it was kinda fun to have him referenced in it. 

Rogue_Shadow1

Sorry to hear that your night got ruined, Jad, that really sucks.  The movie is really good so I hope you get to see it soon.  It's probably gonna be really hard to avoid spoilers.

Spoilers ahead!

Well, Iron has pretty much covered it all, haha.  Wow, what a great movie!  I really loved that scene in the beginning on the boat with Cap just casually taking down all the pirates and the sweet fight with Batroc!  I loved the way the moves Batroc was doing, it was just like a comic brought to life.  All the fight scenes were really cool.  It is a little disappointing they spoiled a lot of Winter Soldier's scenes in the trailers, but I can kinda understand since they wouldn't want to give away too much of the plot.

I was really surprised by how much they referenced the first Cap movie!  Usually Marvel movies try to be pretty stand alone, but a lot of the emotional beats and twists were based on the first Cap movie.  Man, that scene with Cap visiting his old friend in the old folks home was so touching and Zola showing up in the computer with a pretty cool nod to how we're used to seeing him in the comics. The scene that explained what had happened to Bucky and his transformation were very well done.  I also really liked that we saw a much bolder, confident Cap than we've seen before.  In the first Cap movie, Steve was pretty inexperienced and they focused a lot on the little guy aspect of him pre-super soldier and during most of Avengers he was unsure of his place.  But in TWS, we see a Cap that's taking charge, giving orders, and even giving a patented inspiring Cap-speech.  This was Cap as we usually know him, the guy that the other Avengers look to as their leader.  I'm really excited to see this Cap in AoU since I think even RDJ's Tony will follow this Cap without too much dissent.

Also, like Iron said the twins cameo in the after credits scene was very cool.  There powers looked really awesome and I wonder what's happened to them?  Wanda was looking pretty loopy and Pietro was acting feral.  They must've been locked away for at least a year given how ratty their clothes looked and the disheveled appearances.  Also interesting that Pietro's hair was brown instead of the usual silver, I guess his hair will turn silver based on something that happens.  I'm a little disappointed that Clint didn't even get name dropped though.  Given Tony, Banner, and Dr Strange get name dropped, ya would think they'd briefly mention why they wouldn't go to Clint for help, especially since Natasha was so focused on finding him in the Avengers ya would think they would trust him.

But if I had one complaint about the movie, I thought Natasha came off a bit too light-hearted and jokey.  I thought they got her almost perfect in Avengers, her quips being pretty dry and her attitude being very business like.  For TWS it seems like they made her crack a lot of jokes since Steve is pretty straight laced and they wanted the humor to come from somewhere.  But some of the jokes just didn't feel natural for Natasha to say, like movie references and flippant replies.  I do like that alluded to her past a little bit more though and I got all excited that she fought Bucky since we know in the comics they hook up, haha.  She had some cool spy tricks in the movie too and it was fun to compare her brutality to Cap's restraint.

I'll probably have more to say tomorrow, but that's all for tonight cause I'm pretty tired, haha.  Bring on Age of Ultron!

Hawkeye Level 74

Yay glad you posted Hawk, figured you loved it. Still really happy over how good the movie was I just thought they nailed pretty much every aspect of it.

Iron24

More Spoilers, I guess?

I feel like the movie version of Widow has always been more light-hearted than the comic version, just like all the other characters in the movies.  Look at how much less serious Iron Man is in the movies.  Even Cap was pretty jokey sometimes with Falcon or Tasha in the movie.  Though I do think the movie reference was a little weird, but I guess Clint isn't around to do something like that.  Actually, it was pretty weird how there was no explanation of what's been happening with Clint.  It's fine that Tony or Thor isn't mentioned, since they're not SHIELD people, but he works for SHIELD.  They could pretty easily just mention that he's on a mission in another country or something, since everything in the movie happened pretty quickly.  It's not like there would be time to go get his help or anything. 

On a different note, were they giving away posters at the theaters either of you went to?  I got an awesome poster that basically combines all the poster images we've seen online the last couple of months.  It's got Cap, Widow, Bucky, Fury, and Pierce all on it.  I hung it proudly in my apartment, since it was clearly the missing piece to my poster collection. 

Rogue_Shadow1

She had some jokes in Avengers, but I felt like the jokes and her delivery were a lot dryer and they weren't as near constant as they were in Cap 2.  In Cap 2 her jokes were more playful and silly.  Maybe it was a deliberate choice, Natasha does bring up how she adopts different personalities, but I think the Natasha we saw in Avengers felt the most like I know her from the comics.  Yeah, it's weird they acted like he didn't even exist.  I know the writers said they didn't want to force Clint just for the sake of having him, but I don't get why there wouldn't be a quick reference to say why he wasn't around when Cap and Widow were getting chased by SHIELD or Fury was getting shot.  It's a bit sad how much Clint keeps getting short changed.  His role in AoU better be really awesome, haha.

I looked to see if there were only posters but I only saw one for Transendance.  It's cool you got one though!

Hawkeye Level 74
Highlighted

She definitely does act a little different, but I think you could see a little of that playful side in Avengers, too.  Like when she tells Cap that it'll be fun to go hitch a ride on that chitauri speeder thing at the end, or when she starts making fun of Coulson's Cap trading cards (though her delivery of that one is a little more dry).  It's definitely more prevalent in Cap 2, though.  I like the idea of it being something where these jokes are part of her deception and different personalities, though, which I was thinking made sense when I was watching the movie.  She can basically just throw on a more playful and jokey appearance whenever it's useful.  It's a good way to cover up any stuff from her past that she's wrestling with, too, since that got brought up in the movie a bit, too.  Yeah, I don't know why they couldn't give a little explanation for Clint, especially since Clint and Tasha are so close in the movie universe.  I don't know if Clint has even had a scene without Tasha besides that 2 minute cameo in Thor!  And it seems weird to ignore one of the Avengers from SHIELD in a movie basically about SHIELD. 

To be more specific, I got two!  I have no idea what I'll ever use a second poster for, but my brother didn't want his for some reason.  I'm sure the next time I see his place, I'll notice a void where his Cap 2 poster should go.  Everyone needs a Cap 2 poster in their home, after all. 

Rogue_Shadow1
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS
custom.activision.cookie_disclaimer