cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our Freestyle Family

We thought it was about time we started introducing you to the brains behind the game
By FreeStyleArt on December 22, 2015
Level 1

We're so excited that Guitar Hero Live has been released and you guys can finally see what all the fuss is about! To celebrate, we thought it was about time we started introducing you to the brains behind the game! Whenever we get a chance to  pull ourselves away from our screens, we've got quite a lot to talk about. So without further ado, meet Jim! 

Jim's one of our Game Designers and he's been with us for 3 years... Oh, and he's proudly the only American in the office!

So Jim, describe a typical day in the office for you?

Lots of coffee! And then I'll chat to the gang before having a feature group meeting- that's where we get to come up with cool things to have in the game... like unicorns!

How did you get into the world of Game Designing?

Luck! I'd moved to California with my band mates and got a part time job which happened to be testing games!  Long story short, I ended up having some involvement with DJ Hero and gained the title of Game Designer for the first time here at FreeStyleGames... I was given a shot and for that I'm forever grateful!  I've been in the gaming industry for about 15 years now.

That's a long time!  You must have done a lot of cool things over the years, what's been the best thing you've done whilst working here?

I recently got to fly to Australia to promote the game!  I've always wanted to go so to travel there and speak to over 500 people about the game was awesome!  It definitely allowed me to get over my fear of public speaking.  FreeStyleGames gave me the chance to move to England with really easy access to Europe... I get to travel around a lot which is a pretty big bonus about the job!

Amazing!  So, you were in a band?

Yeah I played the String Bass Guitar! Our band once supported Fun Lovin' Criminals which is pretty awesome.

jim 2a.jpg

What's your favourite song to play along to?

It's gotta be Music For The Royal Fireworks by George Frideric Handel

So, who's your favourite band?

That's hard!  I'm really into LCD Sound Systems at the moment!  And since playing Guitar Hero Live, I've really got into the Marmozets... 'Move, Shake, Hide' is my favourite song on the game!

What's the best gig you've ever been to?

Before The Black Keys took off, I saw them play in the middle of the desert with about 100 people watching.  ChVrches at Glastonbury Festival are up there too!

What hobbies do you have out of work?

Playing video games, obviously.  I also really like to cook, I've discovered so many new foods since

moving to the UK.  Scallops and Chips- which is basically a giant chip served with a side of chips, Bourbon Biscuits, and Stilton Cheese!  But I really need to teach you guys how to BBQ.

Which rock star would you love to go and grab a drink with?

BB King just for dudeness, Les Claypool because he's the best bass guitarist of all time and the lead singer of Chvrches in case she's reading this- hey!

Any other facts you can tell us about yourself?

I love animals- I have a pet crab!

Awesome, thanks Jim!  You can follow what Jim's up to via his Twitter @DoomOrStuff

Twitter: @FSGStudio  Facebook: FreeStyleGames

Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS
custom.activision.cookie_disclaimer