cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microtransactions in CTR: Nitro-Fueled

Crash Bandicoot™ Forum | Activision®

I just wanted to let you know that I am deeply, deeply disappointed in you, Activision and Beenox. I have never bought any Activision games besides Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Spyro: Reignited Trilogy and Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. I bought those because I loved the original games on the original PlayStation and I still love these games. As remakes, they are fantastic, except for CTR's Pit Stop and the Wumpa Coin system. It's like it was taken from a free pay-to-win mobile game.

I just sent you a complimentary message where I praised and thanked you for not adding microtransactions to this game. Literally 30 minutes after I sent the message, I read the Activision blog post about the Back N. Time Grand Prix that also stated that CTR will be getting microtransactions, starting tomorrow. I'm really disappointed because of this. Microtransactions should never be in fully priced games, period. They belong in the free-to-play mobile games and have no place in real games. And call them whatever you want, surprise mechanics, "optional fast-tracking", whatever, they're microtransactions. And don't give me any of the "it's optional, it won't change the core gameplay" excuses. The whole concept of microtransactions is always very anti-consumer by nature and their sole purpose is to milk more money from the consumers. The whole Wumpa Coin and Pit Stop system was clearly designed around microtransactions in mind and CTR Nitro-Fueled is very grind-heavy by its nature because of this.

I know the business model: release the game without microtransactions so that it gets good reviews. Annoy the players with grind-heavy gameplay/rewards and later on, sell the solution to them in the form of microtransactions. You had a good thing going on with Crash and Spyro, as the N. Sane Trilogy and Reignited Trilogy were both fantastic remake trilogies of classic games that had no Activision anti-consumer shenanigans behind them, and kudos to you for that. I was also really excited for CTR Nitro-Fueled and I think that the core game is really fun and overall, it's a great remake, but I absolutely despise the anti-consumer approach that you have taken with this games' microtransactions, the Pit Stop and Wumpa Coins. I really hope that you remove the microtransactions from this game, as it was advertised several times that the game will be free of microtransactions and that all of the post-launch content would be free. It's not free anymore, if it is possible to purchase that said content with real money.

Also, I think it is very concerning, as this is partly a game geared towards kids and it also has microtransactions. Many kids don't necessarily understand the value of money properly, and could end up spending way too much money to purchase Wumpa Coins, if they see a certain character, kart or skin that they would like to have in the Pit Stop. I really hope that you will not ruin the possible future Crash and Spyro sequels with this type of anti-consumer approach that you chose to take with CTR: Nitro-Fueled and I really hope that you remove the microtransactions from this game as soon as possible.

Miku91
4 REPLIES 4

@Miku91 wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that I am deeply, deeply disappointed in you, Activision and Beenox. I have never bought any Activision games besides Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Spyro: Reignited Trilogy and Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. I bought those because I loved the original games on the original PlayStation and I still love these games. As remakes, they are fantastic, except for CTR's Pit Stop and the Wumpa Coin system. It's like it was taken from a free pay-to-win mobile game.

I just sent you a complimentary message where I praised and thanked you for not adding microtransactions to this game. Literally 30 minutes after I sent the message, I read the Activision blog post about the Back N. Time Grand Prix that also stated that CTR will be getting microtransactions, starting tomorrow. I'm really disappointed because of this. Microtransactions should never be in fully priced games, period. They belong in the free-to-play mobile games and have no place in real games. And call them whatever you want, surprise mechanics, "optional fast-tracking", whatever, they're microtransactions. And don't give me any of the "it's optional, it won't change the core gameplay" excuses. The whole concept of microtransactions is always very anti-consumer by nature and their sole purpose is to milk more money from the consumers. The whole Wumpa Coin and Pit Stop system was clearly designed around microtransactions in mind and CTR Nitro-Fueled is very grind-heavy by its nature because of this.

I know the business model: release the game without microtransactions so that it gets good reviews. Annoy the players with grind-heavy gameplay/rewards and later on, sell the solution to them in the form of microtransactions. You had a good thing going on with Crash and Spyro, as the N. Sane Trilogy and Reignited Trilogy were both fantastic remake trilogies of classic games that had no Activision anti-consumer shenanigans behind them, and kudos to you for that. I was also really excited for CTR Nitro-Fueled and I think that the core game is really fun and overall, it's a great remake, but I absolutely despise the anti-consumer approach that you have taken with this games' microtransactions, the Pit Stop and Wumpa Coins. I really hope that you remove the microtransactions from this game, as it was advertised several times that the game will be free of microtransactions and that all of the post-launch content would be free. It's not free anymore, if it is possible to purchase that said content with real money.

Also, I think it is very concerning, as this is partly a game geared towards kids and it also has microtransactions. Many kids don't necessarily understand the value of money properly, and could end up spending way too much money to purchase Wumpa Coins, if they see a certain character, kart or skin that they would like to have in the Pit Stop. I really hope that you will not ruin the possible future Crash and Spyro sequels with this type of anti-consumer approach that you chose to take with CTR: Nitro-Fueled and I really hope that you remove the microtransactions from this game as soon as possible.

Its a shame,As the old sayin goes,"If It ain't broke don't try and fix it,Unfortunately these days the money helps the world.Go by as in bussiness.Pretty much off the bat,Ie.Action,Go the Short straw,In other terms they need to make up for lost money,That would've mean't "they pretty much MESSED UP",Sorry its true 

Hazard_K4OZE

@Miku91 wrote:

And don't give me any of the "it's optional, it won't change the core gameplay" excuses.

They are optional and they won't change the core gameplay though, it's not an excuse, it's just the truth.

I'm sorry but that argument about the game being for kids and so microtransactions shouldn't be in the game because of this is not a good argument. Lots of other games geared towards kids have microtransactions. Also, this game is geared towards all ages, not just kids, it's for everyone.

NeonNebula

They're optional, for now. However, it's only a matter of time before you can start buying characters with perfect stats, better items for a set amount of races etc. for real money. Also, the whole Pit Stop and Wumpa Coin system was clearly designed with microtransactions in mind, that's why everything costs so much and the Wumpa Coin earn rate is so ***** low, especially offline.

Miku91

Totally agree. 

Totally predatory.

Totally disgusting.

TheVellaciraptor
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS