cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Swap feature in CTR Nitro Fueled + Inaccurate kart stats

SOLVED

Crash Bandicoot™ Forum | Activision®

Highlighted

Hey Team. If you look on the r/Crashbandicoot subreddit you may see a lot of posts requesting an "Engine Swap" feature to be implemented in the game. It would make character selection independent of the four kart stat classes/archetypes, allowing you to play your favorite character with your favorite driving control scheme.  It seems to be in HIGH demand, and I for one would love to see it included, as it is currently featured in other kart racers like Mario Kart 8 and Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed.

Essentially, the idea is that you can choose your character's driving class from the same menu where you can choose kart paint jobs, stickers, and wheels. Alternatively, it could be placed within character and skin selection. To be clear, it would NOT allow you to customize EACH stat, but rather choose from the four existing stat SETS (Speed, Acceleration, Balanced, Turning, aka Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner) independently from your character choice. The issue largely stems from players liking a certain character but not liking the way said character handles. Some players enjoy using the balanced class but are dissuaded from using, say, Tiny Tiger or Krunk because those characters are not in the player's preferred class.

Now, with the addition of this feature, there would need to be a few minor additions to the in-game and menu UI to indicate other players to what class you're using. Perhaps, next to a character icon during a race, there could be a small colored triangle or letter or symbol that represents the driving class a particular character is using. Maybe the color of the character's portrait border could indicate it, or alternatively, driving class could be left as a mystery to other players and not shown at all. The only place that I would strongly reccomend hypothetically showing driving class would be in time trial leaderboards. While on that subject, there have been requests for the leaderboards to have toggle options for displaying time trials by class. I think that feature would perfectly go hand-in-hand with the engine swap feature.

It's likely that the major cause for demand in this feature is the lackluster performance of characters in the turning and balanced classes. Another proposed solution for this issue is adjusting the stats for those classes so that they accurately represent what is shown on the menu.fake stats.png

I have attached an image showing the "true" stats of the classes in the game, which are different from what the selection screen currently shows

Some fans would prefer the engine swap feature to remedy the situation, while others would like rebalancing the stats so they're accurately reflected, or at the very least, buffing the turning and balanced classes in some way--be that improving their speed or their boost reserve mechanic. I would be okay with both solutions, but I would still like to see the engine swap feature incorporated so players can use their preferred character with their preferred control scheme, regardless if the stats were buffed or not.

I hope Beenox considers implementing one or both of the adjustments into the game, as it would be a massive quality of life change! They've done a phenomenal job thus far. 

Bandifan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This poll was taken from reddit, and shows what a sample of 495 CTR players would think about the engine swap feature being added into the game

engine swap.PNG

Bandifan
3 REPLIES 3

This poll was taken from reddit, and shows what a sample of 495 CTR players would think about the engine swap feature being added into the game

engine swap.PNG

Bandifan

Heh, I don't care if 5,000 people including Donald Trump himself voted for it, that doesn't mean this 'idea' is good game design nor will the silent majority want to see enter the game before proper changes to item balance, host migration, track voting, and anti-quitting are implemented, and I don't care if there were only two stat classes instead of four, that still doesn't make them arbitrarily chosen. There's a reason Tiny isn't Turning, and Krunk isn't Speed, just like in Tekken there's a reason that King doesn't have the same moveset as Law. Yes, I prefer Law's moveset. I like King better. That doesn't mean they should swap movesets as it suits me. It's a very solid game in terms of mechanics, and it's a GOOD idea to encourage me, as a player who likes King, to learn how to use him.

The characters are mechanically different, as well as visually, and it is intentional design. Not only is this done for the sake of variety (obviously Krunk is very different in appearance from other Turning characters already) but for the sake of introducing a learning curve that is distributed evenly to ALL who are playing to learn every character, every class, instead of just some, and to provide mixups in muscle memory for everyone equally. It is to enrich your experience; to make the player experiment regularly.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Although it's not something that would be wise to change the entire game for, (alongside basically no other additions to customization) when Mario Kart 8 is still a very good game and you can still go play it today.

Deleted User

Speak for yourself

Bandifan
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS
custom.activision.cookie_disclaimer