Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back (updated 3rd Feb 2012)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Highlighted

Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

xxsnakedocxx wrote:

Yeah I have never messed with settings. Just auto set-up. What do I need to do? How do I do it?

foxhound's awesome sauce "how to" has all the infomation you could possibly need

Check out it  (opens in a new window) Fox's guide.

Do I need to do that for every device on my router?

Level 6

in reply to xxsnakedocxx

xxsnakedocxx wrote:

Do I need to do that for every device on my router?

technically no only the consoles.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Well I bought the Netgear N600 last night... Right after installing it, I noticed a pretty significant difference while playing Black Ops... I was getting 4 bar consistantly. There were only a few times where it dropped to 3 bar that I saw and even that was for a split second.

I also tried out the Google DNS numbers and that seemed to work well too... When I restarted my xbox, it logged into xbox live immediately. Usually there is a noticeable load lag. Awesome! I'm going to try the other method of finding the best DNS connection locally tonight and see if that makes things any better.

Again, thanks for the post!

Level 2

Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back

in reply to AiDub

Yeah, the program he referened told me that openDNS was considerably faster than google's DNS for my area. I notice the same too.

in reply to Maccabi

updated , rejiggled and generally has more stuff than last time.

If anyone finds a link that doesnt work or has any suggestions for stuff they want to see in the new shiny section about how games works let me know.

also i will use some of my previous posts to make a new feature for the elagaphant called "Readers letters" please note I said LETTERS not WIVES covering myself as we can still add pictures to the forum

So if anyone has a question on either optimising, settings or how games work post and I will answer (time frame dependant on levels of procrastination), there are two areas which i wont cover though, the first is anything to do with tvs (i know hardly anything) and suggestions on what equipment to buy.

Level 75

Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back (updated 9th oct)

in reply to Maccabi

This is impressive.

Level 23

Re: The Elagaphant strikes back , Optimizing your connection on the Xbox

in reply to Maccabi

Hey Macc, brilliant thread!!

Just a few questions, hopefully these will be common questions and some of them may have been already answered, if so I apologise.

I have the option of 2 ISP's at my house, both very different.

Virgin Fibre Optic 20mb down 2mb up

BT ADSL 8mb down 1mb up

While the Virgin line is 'faster', the BT line seems to be better for online gaming. Is there a reason for the 'slower' ISP performing better?

For my BT ISP, I have the choice of 2 routers - the standard BT Homehub 3 and a Belkin router. Should I set the Belkin router up as you have stated above as soon as MW3 is available, or will my BT Homehub be adequate using UPnP and a wired connection?

Level 24

in reply to angrymeerkat

angrymeerkat wrote:

Hey Macc, brilliant thread!!

Just a few questions, hopefully these will be common questions and some of them may have been already answered, if so I apologise.

I have the option of 2 ISP's at my house, both very different.

Virgin Fibre Optic 20mb down 2mb up

BT ADSL 8mb down 1mb up

While the Virgin line is 'faster', the BT line seems to be better for online gaming. Is there a reason for the 'slower' ISP performing better?

For my BT ISP, I have the choice of 2 routers - the standard BT Homehub 3 and a Belkin router. Should I set the Belkin router up as you have stated above as soon as MW3 is available, or will my BT Homehub be adequate using UPnP and a wired connection?

<A HREF="http://www.callofduty.com/thread/1849?start=0&tstart=0#meerkat">Click here for your answer</A>

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Mac - a champ on the blops forum and same same on mw3. Always good to read your stuff

Level 44

in reply to Maccabi

One thing I realised about unlimited internet in New Zealand and possibly in other parts of the world, don't use it for online gaming.

I was on an "All You Can Eat" plan with Slingshot, a NZ ISP and they slow down your connection (I normally get 11MB download but during congestion, it drops to 2MB). My upload remained at 1MB (which is apparently a godly connection for NZ internet).

I had to switch to the 250GB (a new plan and enough for my gaming and YouTube) and it's worked wonders for me especially with a decent host connection.

What I question is why I was still getting host on my unlimited broadband plan? My upload was still decent but I noticed alot of players complaining about my host connection. During the times where I was still on the unlimited plan, I hoped I wouldn't get chosen as host.

Level 51

Studios