Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [PS3]

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Re: Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [PS3]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

My router isn't listed at the site you provided. What do I do?

Don't panic, you're not doomed to a strict or moderate NAT. The good thing is you can do this on your own with some tinkering and a bit of searching. Log into your router, type in the gateway from your piece of paper, and take a look. If you can find a tab that is labeled "Applications," "Gaming," or even a highly self descriptive "Port Forwarding/Port Triggering," go ahead and check it out. We're looking for the ability to "forward" ports. The page will generally contain a table with available slots to input data or a series options to choose from that will create the opened ports. Here are some general images to give you some concept. Open these in a new tab.

Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 DDW3611

Linksys E3000

Netgear N300 (WNR3500L)

You can generally make out what this page is by looking at the examples. Once you find this, fill in the information accordingly and pay attention to the protocol. If it says UDP, make it UDP. Enable it all, power cycle your PS3/Router and see how it holds up for you.

If you're still unsure of what you're doing, feel free to visit "I want to understand routers. Teach me more." Take a look at the last note and have at it. Feel free to send me an email if you're having issues. It's located beneath the index.

Take me back to the index.

in reply to iif0xh0undii

My ports aren't open anymore. What could have happened?

Don't fret, this can happen for any number of reasons. It's more than likely not your fault either. If you've suffered a fairly powerful power surge, updated your firmware to the latest version or simply have aging technology, there's a very likely chance that your configuration was wiped. It's also possible that you decided to forego creating a static IP, or didn't create one high enough, and your router assigned your console's previous IP to another device.

The solutions are obvious.

• Ensure your equipment is working properly.

• Reconfigure your router to your previous settings.

• Create a proper static IP or change its designation.

You may not like that you must do this again, but at least it can be considered practice. You should consider investigating your router's manual for any discussion of saving your configuration settings. This will save time in the future if issues arise and will get you back in the game faster.

Need help with your router? Check out "I want to understand routers. Teach me more." and read the last note. It has some tips and general observations that'll help in the long run.

in reply to iif0xh0undii

I need to change my static IP. What do I do now?

In the event that you ever need to change your static IP you need only update your IP in the following locations.

• PlayStation 3 "IP Address Settings" area.

• Each individual IP field per forwarded port in your router.

While this may seem simple, missing any field with your update IP may result in poor performance or the inability to connect to the PlayStation Network.

in reply to iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [PS3]

in reply to iif0xh0undii

Alright, this has gone public now that I have the ability to move content again.

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know if you find any errors. Like it says, I'll update this in due time.

Start at the index.

in reply to iif0xh0undii

This thread is very well put together Foxhound, puts mine to shame I guess. Anyway, I think you should add port triggering as well.

Port Triggering

Some applications require multiple connections, such as Internet gaming, video conferencing,

Internet telephony and others. These applications cannot work when Network Address

Translation (NAT) is enabled. If you need to run applications that require multiple connections,

specify the port normally associated with an application in the “Trigger Port” field, select the

protocol type as TCP or UDP, then enter the public ports associated with the trigger port to open

them for inbound traffic. Note: The range of the Trigger port is 1 to 65535.

Port Forwarding

The Port Forwarding allows you to re-direct a particular range of service port numbers (from the

Internet/WAN Ports) to a particular LAN IP address. It helps you to host some servers behind

the router NAT firewall.

I am not sure what difference it makes, but those are the desciptions in my Router. Just thought you might want to add it as well. Again good work.

Level 15

Studios