Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

in reply to BdBrown

Ego massaging? Never thought about it like that. I was just stating why people play. But if i want to stroke my ego...Then i shall. 2.20 K/D, 10.90 W/L. All big streak challenges done, Working on my 100th MOAB since i hit 20th prestige and trying to stay in the top 1000 all time. So i will keep stroking my ego and using Assault killstreaks. Please dont dashout when i call in my 2nd or 3rd OG gunner for that game

Level 38

in reply to BdBrown

That's funny, I don't remember saying 'if you don't like it then get out' oh wait that's because I didn't say that at all. What I actually said was the ENGLISH phrase 'stop moaning' and I also said 'just play barebones or hardcore'.

In your OP you said that ' who thought this would be a good idea?' (to implement kill streak rewards into the game)  then in your lame reply to me you claim that 'just because people like it doesn't mean it's a rational idea.' LOL well by that virtue I can also say that just because YOU don't like it, it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

The fundamental point here that you seem to have missed is that you are criticising the unique selling point of MW3, the one part of the game that differentiates it from the competiton and won Activision those huge sales figures, and somehow claiming that it is a bad idea! Tens of millions of people have already proved you wrong by purchasing the game. If killstreak rewards did not exist in COD then I doubt that this forum would even exist for you to have your little moan and vent about how bad a player you are.

Level 1

in reply to ganjsmok

Ganjsmok, I'm trying to debate whether an idea is good here using logical thought. I give reason as to why I think something is a bad idea, whereas your reason is that "so-and-so millions of people like it," That is simply not reason, it is a fallacy of division. It does not have to be true of everyone even if it is possibly true of the whole (and I say possibly because there are no statistics proving your statement).

I don't think you understand what is going on here... This is self evident when you attack me personally rather than attempting to contribute to this conversation.  What's even more laughable is that you assume that I am bad player...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Call of Duty is popular simply because of killstreaks (simply because you have no proof of that).

Take a deep breath before you post.

Level 1

in reply to BdBrown

LOL it looks like you are the one that has again somehow managed to miss the entire point of this 'debate'-the pont is that there is no argument to answer here at all, your op and all of your other posts (including your bemusingly self-indulgent latest reply) are completely irrelevant, and this entire thread is pointless.As previously explained there is no doubt at all in any shape or form that rewarding players for playing well is a GREAT idea, this HAS been proven and has unquestionably and undeniably been a HUGE contributing factor in the success of the most popular and best selling entertainment franchise of all time.

Everyone else who has replied to you on this (with the exception of Meatcleaver) has disagreed with you but somehow you continue to blindly ignore the FACTS.  It is no coincedence that killstreak rewards were introduced on COD4 six years ago, which just so happened to be the same time that Activision became the market leader in online fps's taking over from HALO and EA's Battlefield. Before then COD was just another run of the mill fps. That IS a proven fact, not an unfounded, biased opinion like ALL of your points have been.

Sales figures don't prove if something is a good idea? LOL with that rationale I wouldn't be surprised if you were to claim that PC's and mobile phones are bad ideas LOL

In your OP you say 'I've actually given it some thought and cannot make sense out of this' Haha no sh*t aha. If you think that somone who proves you wrong with hard facts is not contributing to the conversation then you are dumber than your op initially made you sound.  Oh and I didn't assume that you are a bad player, you have made that obvious already from your op and the very fact that you complain about good players being rewarded for playing well. Clearly you are a noob because good players simply would not complain about being rewarded.

Word of advice- next time you start a 'discussion' don't be surprised if the majority of people disagree with you and prove you wrong (again).

Level 1

in reply to BdBrown

Fundamentally, Killstreaks (Scorestreaks or whatever) are a lazy way to be successful at each game. That's why these titles are so popular. The proliferation of people playing for K/D in objective games, without the thought of trying to win any Objective. The people who are trying to play objective constantly find the game ruined by Killstreak nuts who see the others as easy meat. This is why Barebones will never be popular, sadly. A great idea spoiled by mob mentality supported by the game creators. Would the same Killstreak nuts be so successful if they tried to play it? Extremely doubtful. It's far easier and lazier to sit back and watch the Killstreaks do the work for them. Try barebones now, try a few games of MW. Filled with people who want to play the objectives or other modes the right way. Who struggle to earn their kills through sheer hard work, tactics and team play.

As other posters have rightly pointed out, Killstreaks do make the games massively popular, giving in to the need for an easy ride and the love of the mighty $. Neither IW nor Treyarch are concerned with giving us the best game we want, just adequate games that will keep the masses happy and the coffers filled, year after year. The games are a parable of modern life. Those toiling through hard work very rarely supported and most wanting something for nothing and everything done for them.

Level 2

in reply to Redoctober1967

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Fundamentally, Killstreaks (Scorestreaks or whatever) are a lazy way to be successful at each game.

Clearly, you have a Generalized idea of what a Killstreak reward is and what it does.

What is your definiton of success?

Redoctober1967 wrote:

That's why these titles are so popular. The proliferation of people playing for K/D in objective games, without the thought of trying to win any Objective. The people who are trying to play objective constantly find the game ruined by Killstreak nuts who see the others as easy meat.

Halo and Battlefield are popular Titles too. Those games have no Killstreak rewards, but you can hop on a Wart Hog, Banshee, Tank or Fighter Jet and kill enemies without having to earn them; they're just there.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

This is why Barebones will never be popular, sadly. A great idea spoiled by mob mentality supported by the game creators.

When was it a great idea? Can you prove it?

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Would the same Killstreak nuts be so successful if they tried to play it? Extremely doubtful.

That depends on the player.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

It's far easier and lazier to sit back and watch the Killstreaks do the work for them.

Shoot it down or use Blind Eye.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Try barebones now, try a few games of MW.

It's Vanilla.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Filled with people who want to play the objectives or other modes the right way.

Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Who struggle to earn their kills through sheer hard work, tactics and team play.

Camping.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

As other posters have rightly pointed out, Killstreaks do make the games massively popular, giving in to the need for an easy ride and the love of the mighty $.

They are a business, not a Charitable Institution.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Neither IW nor Treyarch are concerned with giving us the best game we want, just adequate games that will keep the masses happy and the coffers filled, year after year..

What is your suggestion?

Redoctober1967 wrote:

The games are a parable of modern life. Those toiling through hard work very rarely supported and most wanting something for nothing and everything done for them.

Translation: "Woe is me".

Level 11

in reply to frats74

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Some interesting questions and answers. Yes, I did generalise as not many people take the time or effort to read a post over two or three sentences. I'll approach your reply from my point of view and see what you think. The forums here and elsewhere are filled with players (hardcore etc) bemoaning the lack of a strategic and tactical extension of their playlist. To put it bluntly, COD has become boring. It's the same year after year, however we all come back for more. Other than the tweaks to Killstreaks, the same playlists and style of play appear year after year. Don't fix what isn't broken, you'll probably say? Well look online at any given time. The amount of players on MP  has shrunk to almost half. That's a hell of a lot of people no longer playing Call Of Duty. Sure, you get the kids online. The QSers, the boosters, rarely kids who want to play the game. But ask yourself this, what is there to grab us by the throat beyond blind devotion to the title? Don't get me wrong. I've played since COD 3. I love Call Of Duty but its now more of a habit, rather than the desire to play. And a lot of this boils down to the sameness of each year. When Modern Warfare came out it was truly an event. People wanted to earn the kills, the objectives. All it seems to be now is a K/D addiction. You mentioned Halo and its vehicles. Yes they are there. That's why there is no advantage for anyone. It's a level playing field for all. Unlike COD.

To prove my thoughts with regard to Barebones is like asking why someone prefers Coca Cola over Pepsi. It's a taste thing. I like to win games on my ability to judge the gameplay, the ebb and flow of the gunfights etc. That's why I found Barebones to be so enjoyable. Working with my team to cover choke points, find snipers, give support to flag carriers etc. all the while not having to worry about gunships, sentry guns et al but trusting my team to support me if I was carrying the flag or laying the bomb.

" Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode." Sadly that's true. The majority who have no interest in achieving the objective but who see the ones who do as easy meat. Here's an idea. Why not have team play built on squads equipped with specific roles? Yes it's similar to BF but nothing beats COD gameplay. So a sniper to support, a leader to call in air strikes, only one engineer to lay or defuse the bomb who must be defended for the objective to be completed and infantry. It's just one idea, crappy you may think but it's different. Completely to what we've had over the past seven years. The COD bubble will soon burst unless something is done to save it. Ask yourself why they came up with the Season Pass? Is it because less people are buying the maps? I don't know but I see COD dying a slow death and the companies that are greedily reaping the benefits now will be struggling in five years time to keep the interest of many unless things change.

Level 2

in reply to Redoctober1967

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Some interesting questions and answers. Yes, I did generalise as not many people take the time or effort to read a post over two or three sentences.

I appreciate your candor.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

I'll approach your reply from my point of view and see what you think. The forums here and elsewhere are filled with players (hardcore etc) bemoaning the lack of a strategic and tactical extension of their playlist.

I understand. You are also one of those: A Bare Bones fanboy/player bemoaning Killstreaks for its inclusion and use in COD games.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

To put it bluntly, COD has become boring.

That's just Extreme Mapathy. I experience it too.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

It's the same year after year, however we all come back for more.

I expect some things to be the same. If not, it's not acceptable.

ie.

Motorhead - Every Motorhead album sounds the same; different guitar players over the years, but it's the same Motorhead sound. The moment you hear a riff or Lemmy's voice, you know it's Motorhead

AC/DC - Every AC/DC album sounds the same; they're gotten older, different drummers, but it's the same sound. Whether they play: You Shook Me All Night Long or Stiff Upper Lip. It's the same AC/DC sound. The moment you hear Bon Scott or Brian Johnson's voice, you know it's AC/DC

Metallica - Not all Metallica albums sound the same. Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ... And Justice For All were all Thrashy; The Black Album was Heavy; Load, Reload, and anythng up to now are low quality because those albums don't measure up to their earlier work.

The point is if COD/MW becomes something that is not recognizable, it is not a COD/MW game.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Other than the tweaks to Killstreaks, the same playlists and style of play appear year after year.

They tweaked a lot.

Perks, Weapons and Map sizes.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Don't fix what isn't broken, you'll probably say?

Absolutely!

What's broken are the repawning system, the lag, hackers and Elite. Those issues need fixed ASAP.

I could care less about anything else.

The Killstreaks aren't broken.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Well look online at any given time. The amount of players on MP  has shrunk to almost half. That's a hell of a lot of people no longer playing Call Of Duty.

There are factors to consider. Players have been Banned, have school or jobs, family, etc...

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Sure, you get the kids online. The QSers, the boosters, rarely kids who want to play the game. But ask yourself this, what is there to grab us by the throat beyond blind devotion to the title?

Once again, there are factors to consider: Peer Pressure, Boredom, Escape from reality, etc...

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I've played since COD 3. I love Call Of Duty but its now more of a habit, rather than the desire to play. And a lot of this boils down to the sameness of each year. When Modern Warfare came out it was truly an event. People wanted to earn the kills, the objectives. All it seems to be now is a K/D addiction.

Okay. But, that's not everyone. Anyone who uses Killstreaks doesn't have a K/D addiction.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

You mentioned Halo and its vehicles. Yes they are there. That's why there is no advantage for anyone. It's a level playing field for all. Unlike COD.

How is a vehicle ready for the taking from the start of a game "a level playing field for all"?

You have no problem getting blasted by a vehicle in Halo or Battlefield but you have an issue when you get blasted by a vehicle that was earned as a Killstreak reward in COD?

Redoctober1967 wrote:

To prove my thoughts with regard to Barebones is like asking why someone prefers Coca Cola over Pepsi. It's a taste thing. I like to win games on my ability to judge the gameplay, the ebb and flow of the gunfights etc. That's why I found Barebones to be so enjoyable. Working with my team to cover choke points, find snipers, give support to flag carriers etc.

The arguement here on this thread is not why you prefer Bare Bones - It's about Killsteaks. You stated "Killstreaks are a lazy way to be successful at each game". Telling me why you enjoy Bare Bones isn't telling me why Killtreaks are a bad idea or why they're not needed. It's just telling me you prefer Bare Bones.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

all the while not having to worry about gunships, sentry guns et al but trusting my team to support me if I was carrying the flag or laying the bomb.

Is that the real reason why you're in Bare Bones?

Because sometimes, trust can only so far. Then they fail you. I understand that part completely.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

" Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode." Sadly that's true. The majority who have no interest in achieving the objective but who see the ones who do as easy meat. Here's an idea. Why not have team play built on squads equipped with specific roles? Yes it's similar to BF but nothing beats COD gameplay. So a sniper to support, a leader to call in air strikes, only one engineer to lay or defuse the bomb who must be defended for the objective to be completed and infantry. It's just one idea, crappy you may think but it's different. Completely to what we've had over the past seven years.

As you stated, it's similar to Battlefield. So, how can it be different?

Also, assigning roles suck.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

The COD bubble will soon burst unless something is done to save it.

In business/marketing, there is something that's called: Product Life Cycle. Eventually, everything will go through a decline; Cash Cows become Dogs.

Redoctober1967 wrote:

Ask yourself why they came up with the Season Pass? Is it because less people are buying the maps? I don't know but I see COD dying a slow death and the companies that are greedily reaping the benefits now will be struggling in five years time to keep the interest of many unless things change.

Your original post on this thread was Fundamentally about Killstreaks. You stated that "Killstreaks are a way for players to sit back and relax while Killstreaks do their work for them". Now, you veered off-topic to give me a business lesson about how the company will fail unless things change.

Stick to Killstreaks. Can you not justify your stance on it?

If you want to know why I think there's a Season's Pass, it's most probably to finance something coming up. Good guesses would be MW4 and to hire developers to fix Elite.

If COD struggles in five years, I wouldn't worry. As long as the Publisher and Developers are around, there will always be games to play. Hopefully, with Killstreaks.

Level 11

in reply to BdBrown

I'm not that great a player and I like the killstreak idea.  It makes me want to try harder.  Is it annoying that the guy who is already roasting you with his gun now gets to roast you with a cobra, or an ac...sure.  One thing that I've found that has helped me get better by using the reward system is using the support killstreak rewards and starting with low kill amount rewards.  I now have my customs set up for how well I play with certain weapons.  I'm getting better with my assault rifle so I've switched from the support to the assault kill streaks, but keeping the values low so I still get rewards.  Also, I've noticed most of these guys get their rewards through care packages more than anything.  That's why there's always a million preditor missles flying around and next thing you know there's drones, scout 'copter, etc...it's mostly from calling in care packages.  I do have to admit, it sucks getting killed and then the same guy drops a missle on you when you spawn.  That's why I use blind eye pro and assassin pro....can only see me if you actually see me...which has helped a TON.  It would be nice to get a little better bump from a death streak...like something to actually prolong your life.  Maybe respwan with armor or something.  I tried doing final stand but most players are wise to that and keep shooting the downed man.

I guess all of that to say...there are ways to help out the stinky players so they aren't EXCLUDING everyone.  Start using killstreaks as a strategy for how you play and they help anyone and it makes it "un-lazy?" :-)  If you don't like gunships, use a SAM.  If you don't like predators...well, not much you can do about that.

Level 1

in reply to BdBrown

LOL I have never thought of it like that. Thats a good point you made, Bdbrown. I don't know if you ever played Mario Kart, but I remember that if you were in first place, you wouldn't get any good items to use againts your opponents. If you were in last place, you would usually get the best items, like that blue shell or that lightning that would hurt all of your opponents. I wonder what a COD game with the Mario Kart item logic would be like. Might be interesting.

Level 1

Studios