Dashboard isn't a negative thing

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Re: Dashboard isn't a negative thing

in reply to youcantgetme62

I don't mind that people ragequit when they are getting dumped on, just don't dashboard it. You ruin the game that everyone else is enjoying with your spiteful tantrums. If it wasn't about ruining the game for others then why not just exit the proper way so that a host migration can occur and others finish the game?

Level 18

This thread is still going on? People still deffending the reason to dash? Like i said before, if you dash, you care about stats. You are also selfish and your stats mean nothing at that point. I get dashed on all the time and it happend 5 times yesterday. It is all good. I still got a 10.00+ W/L....and it is legit.

Level 38

I KNOW RIGT!

Level 1

Here's the thing ... there's bigger things in life to worry about than Call of Duty.

That goes for both sides of the argument. If someone dashboards because of stats, I mean, really, what's the point? Are the Dallas Cowboys going to try to sign you as a free agent because you're an elite gamer? Okay, maybe not the cowboys ... but MLG/GB is not going to offer you some special contract, either.

On the flip side of the coin, as IW has explained, there are a lot of reasons why a host may leave a match unexpectedly. Someone can trip on a cord (though it has not happened in my house in years, that could very easily happen), there could be a storm that causes electricity to blip or blink, there could be a regional or area power shortage, construction down the street can cause a connection to be lost, a child or pet could accidently press the on/off button ... there are a lot of reasons why it can appear that someone "dashboarded."

In the eyes of IW, it is not fair to credit those persons a loss because of events outside their control (not my opinion, the opinion of IW & Activision in general since TA works the same way).

Now, the logical comeback is that it is not fair to the rest of the lobby that a "good" match is not counted. While this is true, not everyone in the lobby is having a "good" match. In fact, at best, it is usually no more than four players having what is normally considered a "good" match. And to most of those four players, a "good" match is not really extraordinary (in other words, it's just another "good" match). Thus, to those players, generally the fact a game was ended prematurely without consequences does not matter to them.

IW provided other reasons, as well, why dashboarding does not count as a loss. I don't necessarily agree with this line of logic ... but I can see their point of view ... as well as the point of view of all the players involved with the above scenarios.

Yes, I can make arguments as to why the the dashboarder should still be credited a loss. In fact, I made such arguments. But the problem is, once the host's connection is lost, there is flat out no way to know what the outcome of the game would have been. I've been in too many matches where scores have done unbelievable reversals. I think most everyone posting here can recall such a match. If not, you haven't played enough Call of Duty.

Then you get into the issue of boosters, as well. As some of you may know, anyone can create a free Xbox Live account that lasts for thirty days before your free period of online gaming ends. What is to stop someone from creating such an account and purposely entering lobbies in order to dashboard - scoring themselves a loss and their buddy a win? Boosting is already a problem, changing the system would only make it worse.

At the end of the day, IW is fully aware of the dashboarding loophole. Unfortunately, they have no intention of ever changing this aspect of their game because of the reasons above as well as other reasons. What's more, as so many people have noted, dashboarding takes a lot of time away from gaming time. As far as IW is concerned, dashboard all you want: it will take you that much longer to build up enough stats to be considered a respectable gamer.

All of this considered, I gave up my fight against dashboarding early in the release of MW3. I do not advocate dashboarding. At times, as I have stated a couple times in this thread, I do it myself ... but I am very sparing in my use of the big X button. J knows why I do it and I understand his point of view and I fully respect it.

So this is what I suggest people do if they don't like dashboarders. Keep a pen and a piece of paper handy. If you know who the host was and that person dashboarded, write down their GT as best you can then look that person up in the Dashboard (using friends search) and then Submit a Review - avoiding that player for poor sportsmanship.

Stressing over dashboarding is simply going to ruin your gaming experience.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

Another thing I forgot to mention ... simply leaving a match substantially increases the odds of being dropped right back into the same lobby. By dashboarding, I think (don't quote me on this) the console's cache clears. In any case, when I back out and search for another match, too often I get dropped back into the lobby I just left. When I dashboard, I can't recall that ever happening.

edit - btw, not only do my deaths not count, nor do my kills. More importantly for me, I basically play to complete challenges. It isn't cool to complete a big challenge within the first few kills then to start lagging like no one's business (but only when you happen to be shooting at a specific opponent) and then decide to DB out of a match.

It works both ways.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to nuttin2say

nuttin2say wrote:

Another thing I forgot to mention ... simply leaving a match substantially increases the odds of being dropped right back into the same lobby. By dashboarding, I think (don't quote me on this) the console's cache clears. In any case, when I back out and search for another match, too often I get dropped back into the lobby I just left. When I dashboard, I can't recall that ever happening.

edit - btw, not only do my deaths not count, nor do my kills. More importantly for me, I basically play to complete challenges. It isn't cool to complete a big challenge within the first few kills then to start lagging like no one's business (but only when you happen to be shooting at a specific opponent) and then decide to DB out of a match.

It works both ways.

Yeah I find it a bit odd that I go back into the same lobby.  Given the popularity of the game I should be placed into a different lobby.  Once I got put back into the same lobby twice.  It was jsut a map I didn't want to play as it was unfavourable for leveling up the specific weapon.  But if you join mid game and don't spawn you can DB and that should help, since you're not host.

I sometimes play a different game mode if I see Domination come up on the Barebones section if I'm leveling up snipers.

Level 31
Highlighted

Whether it's "leaving the game early", "Rage Quitting" or "Dashboarding" it's up to the other players to decide if it's bad. They'll leave you Negative Feedback for it if they think it is.

Level 11

I Dashboard in 98% of my matches because of noobs, lag or any unfair deaths such as being spawn killed

Level 2

Studios