FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)

in reply to Chiggles1

Chiggles wrote:

actually he is correct. I researched it last night after reading the post. It does take quite alot of time and effort to patch a single bug. In a game as widespread and as complex as COD ghosts, there are millions of bugs at any given time. Some are reoccurring, while others are isolated incidents. Still, quite a lot of work to do...

I don't think you understood the irony of my comment. I am actually not in disagreement with him. Thats why I mentioned patching drywall as an irony. It was a very elaborated post for something simple. Problem solving is a cognitive process that a lot of animals have yet some humans fail to understand how the process works and in their opinion some always seem to have a silver bullet to fix whatever the problems are.

So, again not in disagreement with him. My apologies for failing to further express the irony of my comment.

Level 5

in reply to LimonAgrio

Indeed. Looking back i do see the irony of your statement and what you meant. I read it quickly, and must have not grasped it. My apologies as well.

Level 1

in reply to Wheels1AWTT

let me also comment on this since im in the industry.

a beta testing period is also put in place to identify and solve bugs before a GA release goes forward. this has been done.

yet as with all the other COD releases, we are seeing bugs that should have been identified pre GA.

the DOM glitch

the undermap glitches

the squad point glitch

bad spawning:

revenge spawns in OBJ games

bad safety spawn mechanism

bad home spawn mechanism(b flag on stonehaven)

those above could have been found and dealt with PRE GA.

Level 18

r33k wrote:

let me also comment on this since im in the industry.

a beta testing period is also put in place to identify and solve bugs before a GA release goes forward. this has been done.

yet as with all the other COD releases, we are seeing bugs that should have been identified pre GA.

the DOM glitch

the undermap glitches

the squad point glitch

bad spawning:

revenge spawns in OBJ games

bad safety spawn mechanism

bad home spawn mechanism(b flag on stonehaven)

those above could have been found and dealt with PRE GA.

A beta test, like for example a public one, is written and built about 3 to 6 months before the beta is released to the public.

The spawn code would have been rewritten probably 5 or 6 times since the build date of the beta.

Reason they use a very old beta is so they dont let the cat out of the bag. Why do you think the beta for BF4 was worse than the beta for BF3.

If the domination glitch wasnt found then the hackers would have still found another one.

Level 72

in reply to Wheels1AWTT

Dont forget you have to go thru the longer process of getting approval by Microsoft . The 360 way it used to work was a patch costs 40 K just to get approval. Well its used to be 40 K but a rumor is it doesnt cost any longer for the 360.

A dev already stated that it usaully takes 5 weeks from the date of when the issue is known.

Level 72

in reply to starbuckfrack

do you have any proof on ether of those statements? especially that 40k to approve a patch iv seen other state it but it seems far fetched or someone making an excuse for company's to drag there feet when patching

Level 22

in reply to Bubbakush1

Well lets see....

There is the developers that posted that information .

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100581784#.UolMJOJ2-VE

Look it says 5 weeks.

There is also details all over the internet.

Google

Wait, it Costs $40,000 to PATCH a Console Game?

What more proof do you need ?

Level 72

so you have no proof on the 5 weeks comment aside from your own words and the other has a recent story from jan 27th of this year saying that its been reported which let me tell you just cuz its reported doesn't make it fact that there was a 40k fee and that its now a one time fee and there will be other fees if Microsoft deems that the company is making a excessive amount of patches and to that the 40k fee was to force company's to make a more polished game on launch according to the report so as i said wheres the proof

Level 22
Highlighted

in reply to Bubbakush1

Bubbakush wrote:

so you have no proof on the 5 weeks comment aside from your own words and the other has a recent story from jan 27th of this year saying that its been reported which let me tell you just cuz its reported doesn't make it fact that there was a 40k fee and that its now a one time fee and there will be other fees if Microsoft deems that the company is making a excessive amount of patches and to that the 40k fee was to force company's to make a more polished game on launch according to the report so as i said wheres the proof

I love people that cant read I assume you know how to click on a thread right ?

COD: Black Ops - Patching Process

QUOTES from that page.

Phase 1: Gather feedback, reproduce reports and implement solutions. Estimated time: Generally 2 weeks

Phase 2: Test internally. Estimated time: Minimum of 1 week

Phase 3: Console manufacturers test and approve the update for release.Estimated time: Minimum of 1 week to get an approval

Phase 4: Release Estimated time: Generally 2-3 days.

Lets see. 2 weeks plus 1  week minimum plus 1 week minimum plus a few days makes about 5 weeks. Nope no proof there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the google post if you would have clicked on that link you would have seen MANY posted reports about how in 2012 how they charge developers 40 K per patch, not just one report.

and if you would have learned to read a little bit more you would have seen that I mentioned a rumor that they CANCELLED it in my original post.

A little more investigation would have revealed something about a developer named Tim Schafer. If you dont know who he is then cant help you.

"

Double Fine's Tim Schafer is the man responsible for dropping that info bomb. 

"Those systems [Xbox Live and PSN] as great as they are, they're still closed," Schafer said. "You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can't do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can't afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that's where it's at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That's where people are going."

---------------------------

Or this

"The uglier side of working within walled gardens was made apparent late last week when indie developer Polytron announced it would not be releasing a new patch for its Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) hit Fez. (More specifically, a patch to fix the original patch, which corrupted a certain percentage of players' saves.) The issue at hand wasn't a lack of desire to throw man hours at a finished game, but rather that Microsoft's XBLA policy only allows for one free patch, with subsequent patches requiring the game to go through a recertification process at a cost of $40,000.

---------------------------------------

Yep your right no proof there . What do you want me to do for you ? You want me to raid the Activision Headquarters and steal their financial statements ?

Level 72

cuz this is black ops right? let me teach you something a estimated time doesnt make it fact. as for all the other bs you copied and pasted im not going to bother i read the google reports i can read i dont think you can cuz like i stated the 40k was to make company's make a more polished game at launch and not juts patch what the messed up on which from everything you pasted for no reason go with what i said a company cant afford to patch a patch that broke there game i did read you mention the rumor but you hammer on the 40k patch cost as if it is fact which you just admitted a report doesn't make it fact so keep being a fanboy bud

Level 22

Studios