Please...no tiny maps

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: Please...no tiny maps

in reply to trialstardragon

How is that possible? Then you have to choose in the main menu which size of map you want to play, because you can't just throw some people out of the pre-game lobby when a small sized map has been picked.

Level 1

in reply to CantanoRM

Each gamemode would have to have a select amount of maps.  Some gamemodes like TDM wouldn't have some of the Ground War maps, and vice versa.  I think Halo 2 did a good job with this.  You had maps like Waterworks for BTB only and then you had maps like Warlock for <9 players.

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

I think there should be tiny maps. Im talking shipment size and a little bigger. Its fun playing an intense game that is not stop action. I also agree that there should be big maps too. I think COD needs more diversity and more extremes than just every map being medium sized.

Level 8

in reply to SubToXd

I agree some small maps are fun to play, but its when these 2 or 3 small maps come up in rotation almost every single time and the bigger maps never get voted for the small maps become stale and boring, map lifespans need to be increased, in BO2 the larger maps like Turbine and Drone only get played on random votes and even then hardly with full lobbies because everyone leaves and its been like that since around new year time (my personal experience at least).

The larger maps should be in rotation more than the smaller ones, i remember playing MW2 i think with Rust, that map hardly ever came up so it was fun to play when it did, the bigger maps came up more often but it wasnt a problem because they were less predictable (we need better map design for this to apply in the new game), currently every map seems to have to 3 main routes, right left and middles, why cant we have high and low routes underground tunnels all in all many more routes than we currently have, that would also justify adding more players to the game say 12v12 for base gamemodes.

Level 8

in reply to surridge1990

I understand. One of my ideas is that they make playlists which only play these maps. Like have a small map mode, large map mode, mode with everything in between and your usual modes. Then they cant have 3 small maps then. They need like 6 atleast for every category. So you can play one extreme of completely fast paced action and then go play a slower paced mode with more opponents and larger maps.

Level 8

in reply to surridge1990

surridge1990 wrote:

(we need better map design for this to apply in the new game), currently every map seems to have to 3 main routes, right left and middles, why cant we have high and low routes underground tunnels all in all many more routes than we currently have, that would also justify adding more players to the game say 12v12 for base gamemodes.

That's exactly my problem with BO2. Map design. You only have to look to Black Ops to see "Stockpile", which was an excellent map because it had multiple routes and structures to go through. I don't know how "big" Stockpile was compared to other maps, but it was its superior design that made it fun to play.

Maps don't have to be really large to be fun. Just put more thought behind them, like Stockpile, and the game will be more fun. The maps in BO2 are insanely simplistic and boring. The Uprising DLC is completely boring now. The proof is in the fact that so many people camp on them, and have done so almost since the day they came out. Why? Poor map design, period. Treyarch is getting lazy.

I'd much rather play a game for a couple years if it means the next title will have equally interesting gameplay and map design. What Treyarch is doing is rushing crap out the door, mostly for the sake of making lots of money. They keep saying the maps are community driven, which I find to be utter bullshit. Treyarch should know a bad map design when they see it. But, instead they're pandering to really a select group of people, mostly MLG.

I miss the gameplay of World At War. But, we can have that again. Just make it so people can spawn near active teammates and they can stay "in the action" if they want. While allowing those of us who enjoy larger maps - and the multiple areas of engagement that comes with them - have our fun as well. World at War had tanks. Remember that? Wouldn't you like to see tanks again?

Sadly, Treyarch has turned COD into a crack pipe. And there are a lot of players out there who like the "high" of over the top insane shoot, shoot, shoot em up gameplay. While openly abandoning those of us who played COD from the early days when it was a much more strategy driven game, and not just about shoot, shoot, kill, kill. Which in my view, has a much longer shelf life.

In Treyarch's hands COD has given players fewer and fewer choices, while trying to sell their DLC as something exciting. Which they're not, given the recycling of rehashed maps in each DLC. A clear sign that their imagination is suffering from stagnation.

Level 21

in reply to RunAndGun1

Your saying that you dont like simplistic maps, but yet you dont like the maps now. I personally think COD 4 had very simplistic maps and they were very good because of how simple they were. Maybe it had to do with design too, but I agree that the maps now-a-days are terrible. The reason - They are all the same size. Medium sized maps. We need small maps, extremely small maps, large maps, and insanely large maps. Get what im saying.

Level 8
Highlighted

in reply to SubToXd

That's my main thrust. Give us choices. Give us well designed maps. Not crap like "Vertigo", which isn't much more then a glorified merry-go-round. And "Magma", oh my god, what crap. Give us buildings to run through where we might engage. Give us two, or three story structures to shoot down from, or up to.

They also have to get rid of the run-walk-run-walk mode. After the initial match spawn, you're allowed to "run" three steps and then forced to walk. Three steps, and walk. Three steps, and walk. NO ONE moves like that. When you're low on ammo and someone is chasing you around the corner, you should be able to run normally in an attempt to get away. But, you're not. You're forced to suddenly walk. And what happens? The enemy catches up and kills you. That is so stupid. But, I know why they do that. Because the maps are so insanely small, that if you were allowed to run normally you would realize how ridiculously small the maps are. And you'd probably stop playing that map at that point.

COD needs a blend of large, medium and small maps. Give us the choices we've had before. Simple. And funny thing is...more people who left COD for Battlefield will start to trickle back in. I would bet on that.

Level 21

in reply to RunAndGun1

Everyone has their own oppinion. But i personally loved playing shipment. It was a fun. If you got caught running you were dead and so on. But everyone has different styles of play. They needs maps that are like you said...where there are a lot of options...but they also needs maps that have one or two central zones/buildings where fights mostly happen. Now when I think back on it Crash from COD 4 was a very well designed map. 2 sub building with 1 main building. They need variety, not same style maps.

Level 8

in reply to SubToXd

SubToXd wrote:

Now when I think back on it Crash from COD 4 was a very well designed map. 2 sub building with 1 main building. They need variety, not same style maps.

Exactly. "Crash" had multiple floors you could shoot from. You could go to the roof of another building. And there were paths all around the map. Not just on the left, center, and right as most recent maps have.

If "Vengeance" is any sign of what's left to come in BO2, we won't be seeing anything creative coming from Treyarch. Which is why I'm crossing my fingers for Ghosts. I really hope we have better choices. I'm totally bored of ALL of the maps in BO2. Even the last DLC. And "Vengeance" looks like more crap.

Level 21

Studios