Please...no tiny maps

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Please...no tiny maps

The one disturbing trend I've been watching happen to the Call Of Duty series, is the ever shrinking maps. The last COD with decent sized maps was World At War.

If players are concerned about fast action gameplay, then if not in Ghosts then in future COD titles Activision and Infinity Ward should consider a system similar to EA's Battlefield where players are allowed to pick a teammate to spawn near. That way, the player can choose to either jump back in the action or make their way to the engagement.

What made W@W a great COD title to me was that because of the large maps, there were often more then one engagement occuring at the same time. Therefore, I could spawn and pick which engagement I wanted to join. This made the game more about thinking and strategy, then just a clusterfrack of mindless shooting. Which is what COD is in BO2. Mindless.

Please, stop with the tiny maps already. But, if you feel the need to make tiny maps, then include larger maps for those of us who enjoyed the more warlike engagements of World At War. This way you're hitting all cylinders. You're making the people happy who've been playing COD for a long time, and you're making the newer players who like the (misnamed) fast action pace created by itsy bitsy teeny weeny maps.

Black Ops 2 reminds me more of those shooter games you find in shopping malls with the plastic red gun attached to the video game machine. It's just too simplistic. And, to me, gets boring real fast.

Level 21
45 REPLIES

Re: Please...no tiny maps

in reply to RunAndGun1

Couldnt agree more! in my personal opinion the smallest maps in the game should be roughly Meltdown size, the medium maps should be Turbine sized and then the larger maps should be bigger still (sorry i dont have an example i cant think of any maps bigger than Turbine in the last few titles)

If they make tiny maps then there is no point in making any larger maps at all because they will never get voted for, look at Drone/Plaza/Turbine in BLOPS2, i havent seen one of those larger maps get voted for once since before the new year, if they do ever get played its because they came up in random votes and even then it takes a good few minutes to start the game because everyone leaves the lobby as soon as it comes up, then new players join and see the map and then leave again.

Level 8

in reply to surridge1990

Derail is larger than Turbine.

Level 1

in reply to surridge1990

I think that has alot to do with the design of the map aswell as the size though, i never back out and your right but of those 3 maps the only one i enjoy is actually plaza, turbines LOS are a mess, Drone... well its just something about it i dont enjoy its not the size i liek larger maps Yemen is good but yeah the design is as important as the size, Open lines of sight so a player with an AR and good aim can be sucsessfull, bring back open kill zones, if a R&G needs to get through open ground they can use smoke or flank or flash etc there is nothing i can do to make my AR compete with SMGS in the Cluster**** they make of these large maps.

Level 7

in reply to surridge1990

... i dont have that issue?

turbine and drone get voted in regurly for me.

of course i played on wiiU and that system is a little cod kid repelant, and nintys fans take good gameplay alot more seorisly

Level 22

in reply to RunAndGun1

I'm tired of people that want bigger maps in a Call of duty game, because there will NEVER be bigger maps. Go and play Battlefield 3 if you want bigger maps and overall a better experience. BTW Battlefield 4 with 60fps crushes call of duty in every aspect.

Level 5

in reply to kaktusbear

Im tired of people who insist the game wont be worth playing if the maps are made bigger and who keep telling us to go play BF, if its that great go and play it yourself and post on their forums about it.

Call of duty generally has had fair descent sized maps unitl MW3 and BO2 where it seems most peoples attitudes were the smaller the map the better the gameplay. We need to go back to WaW sized maps (as an average of course)

The average size of the maps on WaW was alot bigger than the average size of maps in BO2 and the game is suffering for it.

Level 8
Highlighted

in reply to kaktusbear

kaktusbear wrote:

I'm tired of people that want bigger maps in a Call of duty game, because there will NEVER be bigger maps. Go and play Battlefield 3 if you want bigger maps and overall a better experience. BTW Battlefield 4 with 60fps crushes call of duty in every aspect.

You're wrong, kaktusbear. Call of Duty STARTED out with big maps. As I've mentioned before, the developers can please both "tiny map" players and "bigger map" players. It's simple. Allow the player to spawn near an active teammate, and WHAM!, they're back in the action - regardless of the size of the map. Both player types are satisfied.

On World At War, because of the size of the maps there were often multiple engagements going on at the same time. Which makes it exciting, because you could CHOOSE which engagement to fight in. This made the game much more exciting because you had CHOICES. In the later COD titles, the maps are shrinking. Hence, so are your choices. This isn't fun, it's stupid. They've turned COD into a crack pipe.

But, if you allow players to spawn near an active teammate, then you jump right back into the action regardless of map size. Hence, everyone's happy. Those of us who like bigger maps can choose to spawn near a teammate that's near an engagement we want to fight in. Now, THAT is choice. What we're given now isn't choice, but all or nothing. That's not a choice. That is what is called in most social circles, a "limitation". The problem with games with limitations is that they become boring real fast. You may like BO2. But, I am totally bored of BO2. The maps are unimaginative and show a laziness in design. 'VENGEANCE' the next DLC has yet another remake! SUMMIT! This is true laziness on the developer's part. I didn't pay good money so that the developers can get lazy.

They're charging the same price as a regular game. Yet, the maps are shrinking and the gameplay is being dumbed down for poor players. Smaller maps means less production time. So they're making a weaker game, and cashing in on the lower costs. BO2 maps are a FIFTH the size of World At War maps, some even smaller. This is not COD. This is a video game like the ones you find in shopping malls with red plastic guns attached. Boring!

Level 21

in reply to RunAndGun1

It makes sense if Call of duty has small maps, because the word "small" seems to be used often in every aspect of a Call of duty game. If black ops 2 is the best call of duty, then the series must be killed. Words like Epic can't be written to describe the fights in a match in Call of duty. In Battlefield 4 its a whole different story. You can write a book from a match.  It all comes down to the challenges. Do you like the one-on-one-kill-or-be-killed challenges in Call of duty or do you want to take part in a full scale fight on a big map with vehicles and have the option to destroy stuff-challenges? You choose. I bought Black ops 2 and I feel robbed on the money I paid for it. In Battlefield 3 I NEVER feel robbed on the money I spent on it with all the DLCs with not only maps, like Call of duty. New guns, vehicles, maps, gamemodes... Black ops 2 is the last call of duty. Long live the death of call of duty. Its great to never see the message MIGRATING HOSTS any more

Level 5

in reply to kaktusbear

COD is still going to be the most played game at launch and maybe months afterwards.  It took COD years to get popular and it will take years before it dies.  Look at Halo wasn't that popular with Halo:CE.  Then Halo 2 came out and the multiplayer boomed.  Halo 3 was one of the most played games on XBL for almost 3 years.  It has to take something like Halo Reach or Halo 4 to really kill a franchise.  So far I haven't see that in COD.  COD is going to still be a strong series for years to come.

Level 47

Studios