New to Call of Duty, Need Help.

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

New to Call of Duty, Need Help.

Hello, I am just now starting to play Call of Duty Ghosts, and quite frankly, I'm not very good at it. I seem to die alot and not get very many kills. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me improve my gameplay. I really enjoy the game and hope to get better at it, so once again, if anyone has any tips or maybe to change my classes, like I use the Honey Badger with alot of different perks and no Grenade or Pistol,  anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Level 1
27 REPLIES

Re: New to Call of Duty, Need Help.

in reply to hedshot57

First tip is to play some squads, wargame against the AI bots.   Keep the level low till you get the feel of the basic controls and techniques.

It's good you are starting with an AR.  Master the "rifleman" class first.  Which basically means, just use ARs until you have achieved a good proficiency with them.

Once you have done that, then you can branch out to the more specialized weapons.  These weapons usually involve using tactics you wouldn't use as a rifleman and they are for the more experienced players.  I know the weapons are cool, but you will get frustrated very quickly if you use them before you are ready.

As a rifleman, I think you should always carry some explosives.  Stick with grenades for now as they are the easiest to use.  Remember to "cook" them before throwing.  With practice you will be able to do this well.

Play with the perk system until you set what works for you.  Rifleman generally run the speed perks as they are the assault force and must react quickly to enemies.

Most important, just have fun.  If you are new, you are going to lose a lot right now.  There are people, like me, that have been playing for a very long time.  Keep your chin up and keep plugging away and you will see your skill level increase gradually.  Make it a goal to go positive by the end of this cycle and work towards it.  Keep asking questions!

Welcome to COD!

Level 12

in reply to COTIARA

Thank you for your help, I will go play some squads and add some grenades and more specialized perks to my class, one more thing, do you recommend another rifle other than the Honey Badger? I just unlocked it and have been watching alot of videos where good players use it so I chose that one. Anyway, thanks again.

Level 1

in reply to hedshot57

hedshot57 wrote:

Thank you for your help, I will go play some squads and add some grenades and more specialized perks to my class, one more thing, do you recommend another rifle other than the Honey Badger? I just unlocked it and have been watching alot of videos where good players use it so I chose that one. Anyway, thanks again.

Remington is a good entry level weapon in my opinion. It hits hard enough, but it is very predictable. Honey Badger has always been fun. When you decide to move in to SMGs, then I recommend taking the MTAR-X as it handles similarly to an AR.

Are you new to the FPS genre?

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

Yes, I am rather new to this type of FPS, I play alot of single player FPS's (Fallout, Far Cry 3, etc) but not many like this.

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to hedshot57

hedshot57 wrote:

Yes, I am rather new to this type of FPS, I play alot of single player FPS's (Fallout, Far Cry 3, etc) but not many like this.

Sweet. I loved both of those titles by the way. Far Cry 3 was a lot of fun, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls steal my heart every time as first person Action/Adventure/RPG titles.

You should know that at it's core, Call of Duty: Ghosts is very fast paced. It is, in my opinion, fast paced for a Call of Duty title too. So slowing your approach to understand the game is totally fine.

Another thing to note is that most of your weapons are not entirely static. You can achieve accuracy and efficiency at long or short distances with weapons that may not be intended for those ranges. Burst fire, as in "pulsing" your trigger, is best for long range.

You might also want to check out this thread. It's a series of tutorials and Q/A sessions hosted by developers and our community managers.

Ghosts Training Video Index

Definitely watch the operations video!

in reply to hedshot57

The Honey badger is good for close to medium range combat but at a distance it will get kills but it will also get outgunned pretty easily.

The Remington is good mainly at medium and longer range as Foxy suggested but it's low mag size will leave you out of bullets rather quickly.

I personally liked the SC-2010 as a starter AR.  It good at all ranges.  Not the best mind you but it's good.  It's got a faster fire rate than the ARs that are better at long range but it's still pretty accurate.

As far as loadouts go, add Focus to your perks.  It steadies your gun sway (increases your shot accuracy) and it keeps you from flinching so much when you get shot.  For those long distance battles it is essential.  Off the Grid will help you stay off of the radar and Blind Eye will protect you from the battle hind and sentry guns.  Past that I'd recommend using a silencer and a red dot sight on your weapon (the VMR sight is also a good choice).

The last thing that I'd recommend is to learn the lines of sight and watch your killcams.  You can learn a lot just from seeing where the other guy was when he killed you.

Level 69

in reply to hedshot57

I agree with Foxhound-Pro.  The Remington and the AK-12 are the most typical ARs in the game, meaning they act like most of us consider an AR should act.  The Honey Badger is not bad seeing as it gifts you the extra attachment.  Really, just work your way through them all, you will find the one that screams, "I'm your rifle".

A quick tip is that the higher costing ones don't really make the difference, they are just more specialized.  Lots of people run the default class weapons and do really well.

Just concentrate on aiming for center mass and feathering your shots when at distance.  Don't reload unless you have less than 10 rounds in the clip.  Reloading is a death sentence a lot of times so keep it to a minimum and make sure you're behind cover before you do reload.  If it's your habit to hit X every time you finish firing your weapon, quit now before it gets too ingrained.

Sorry, forgot my manners, you're welcome!

Level 12

in reply to hedshot57

Avoiding being in a state of constant sprinting until you've managed to understand the different scenarios that will play out on a map. Being caught mid-sprint is generally a "you will die moment."

Finding a comfortable sensitivity is key. You don't need it to be too high, I myself play on five, but it needs to be something that you can work with.

Understand that the community is going to tell you that [INSERT PLAYTSTYLE] is best. This is war, technically, and doing what wins the game is the best strategy.

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

I second this entire post.

Slow your movements, learn the layout of the maps and identify chokepoints and popular camp-spots.

Level 12

Studios