"Black Ops 2" Tutor Mode (Replacement/Addition to Combat Training)

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

"Black Ops 2" Tutor Mode (Replacement/Addition to Combat Training)

I recently made a post in the MW3 forums about reducing and/or removing the number of "Training Wheels" from the series (which you can read here: http://www.callofduty.com/thread/200403521). In an effort to remain consistent and come up with better ways to help players improve without adding additional "crutches" to the game, I thought maybe this would be a good addition to the game as a means to better train players in something more than just learning maps and better reaction times. Things such as actual tactics while playing. A few topics included in this "Tutor Mode" should be:

• Flanking (What it is, when to do it, and the proper method of doing it)
  • Utilizing Cover
  • Optimizing Weapon Loadouts (choosing the right weapon for the right play style)

The way this Tutor Mode would work, is you would load up Combat Training. Instead of jumping into an AI Murder fest, you are presented with 2 options:

• Live Fire Practice  - This is the same old Combat Training we all know and love, nothing changes here (except hopefully some better AI this time around).
  • Topic Tutoring - This is where you'll be introduced to the various topics and learn how to use the tactics.

Once you choose one, the game will essentially jump into a Cut-Scene, explaining the tactic, and showing the computer doing it (you could even use pre-made recordings from actual players doing these tactics if you want to save time). Once they explain the tactic, and show the computer doing it, you would then repeat it yourself. There could be different levels of these tactics (Beginner through Advanced), each one getting progressively harder, but more beneficial to you. Once you finish, you receive a grade based upon your performance and mastery of the tactic.

The reason this works is because you aren't just throwing the players into the action and telling them to figure out the tactics themselves. You're actively assuming the role of a tutor and teaching them the basic tactics, and showing them how to utilize them in practical situations that they'll encounter in MP games. They can then take these tactics into multiplayer, or further practice them in Combat Training. With this, they'll be better prepared for similar encounters.

This is different from just playing Campaign Mode because the campaign focuses on too much at once. You learn very basic things, but most people never can apply those to Multiplayer gameplay because it's just not done in a practical sense, and you aren't given all the information about the tactic. When the game tells you to "Kill the enemy from behind.", it leaves it up to you to figure out how, and then instantly moves into a cut scene and something different. With Tutor Mode, the game will provide the necessary information, aswell as a video demonstrating the tactic so they can see how it should work, and won't force you to move onto a new area until you're comfortable with what you're doing.

For additional effect, these training excerises should be done in some of the actual MP Maps, to give them as much of a practical and real experience as possible. And finally, you should include this with a means to put in future training tactics into it so that players can get as much of a benefit as possible.

Level 35
7 REPLIES

Re: "Black Ops 2" Tutor Mode (Replacement/Addition to Combat Training)

in reply to kastro187420

Love the idea Kastro.

Better than deathstreaks & it's not frustrating for the more experienced players.

Level 51

in reply to vims2011

That is precisely my thinking. It keeps them from dumbing down the game, and provides a platform for new players to actually practice real tactics in a safe environment.

Level 35

in reply to kastro187420

Great idea. My first CoD was MW2 and I learned a lot from YouTube. Since a lot of people don't go to YouTube and many of the popular Youtubers don't even try to help you learn the game any more, something like this would help. It's funny to think about now, but I didn't even hipfire for like 6 months. I tried to ADS every time, which often put me at a disadvantage.

Level 4

in reply to kastro187420

Like Budokai Tenkaichi Training?

Nah, I'd way prefer Combat training.

The only real purposes for tutorials are to learn combos and moves in fighting or 3rd person games. For something as simple as a first person shooter, tactics are actually pretty useless and I don't think the developers know what tactcs are best for the game. Different for different players - people don't need combat training to learn how to play properly. It's just a bit of fun.

Something as plain as COD cannot have a tactic other than the big 3 - Camping, run+gun and quickscoping.

Level 5

in reply to ohgodisthisbad

ohgodisthisbad wrote:

Like Budokai Tenkaichi Training?

Nah, I'd way prefer Combat training.

The only real purposes for tutorials are to learn combos and moves in fighting or 3rd person games. For something as simple as a first person shooter, tactics are actually pretty useless and I don't think the developers know what tactcs are best for the game. Different for different players - people don't need combat training to learn how to play properly. It's just a bit of fun.

Something as plain as COD cannot have a tactic other than the big 3 - Camping, run+gun and quickscoping.

You would think so, but that's only if you think that way. Tactics play a pretty big part when properly utilized. It's just too many people have a way of thinking that's much too simple minded. I'm not talking about long drawn out plans, but there are tactics that can work, especially in regards to flanking and using cover.

How many times do you end up on a team with people who just rush forward multiple times dying repeatedly in the same way each time? Personally, it happens way too often with me. If we can help these players learn even some basic tactics, the level of skill for online play will go up. And if it can go up even just a little bit, the game will be that much better for it.

Level 35

in reply to kastro187420

great idea tactics r used in this game mode i also do like combat training i mean who dosent really i would really like though that in black ops 2 they bring back combat training and make the computer players more smarter to do more game modes like s and d instead of them like in black ops just running around everywere they need some tactics i would love combat training s and d and other game modes if they were programmed to play it right instead of running out everywere and spraying

Level 1

in reply to kastro187420

Moved to official forum

Level 35

Studios