Why the new skill based match making sucks

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Re: Why the new skill based match making sucks

in reply to coolwhhhip

For real? Wow. What the hell is the point of having league play then? I'm all for competitive gaming, but some days I really just like to pubstomp.

Level 7

in reply to iloveshotguns

What's considered a good score per minute?

Level 11
Highlighted

The reason I think skill based match making is bad is I think it messes up the way it looks for the best connection. I don't care if I play against good players, I just want to be in a lobby where the connection is the best it can possibly be. I don't think it works very well and I get put into a lobby with 3 bar connections so often

Level 16

in reply to Steve2589

I get put into lobby's and all I hear is Spanish. The name's of these players are Mexico...something. Why am I playing against players in Mexico when I live in the Northern Midwest?!?!?! Not enough players, I doubt that.

GET RID OF THIS CRAP IN PUBLIC MATCHES, please.

P.S. Fire the person who actually suggested this as they are a fool in there own right.

Level 48

I think this is contributing to the poor matchmaking. Also, why have 2 diff match modes based on skill? Like said above, it's redundant.

Level 3

Umm, you do all know that the skill based matchmaking is only implemented in league play? Normal games are ping based. Granted there is a FRACTION of the code looking for similar skilled players, but that has been present in ALL Call of duty games, nothing is new apart from ping based matchmaking.

Level 32

Update

The reason why Vonderhaar supports skill based matchmaking (a convo between him and a gamer):

DavidVonderhaar 90% of the cod community play for fun so skilled match making is bs it makes you better when you lose to pubstompers

frostedgamer I appreciate your POV, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. You don't get better. You get disinterested & stop playing.

David, YOU couldn't be more wrong. What made me decide to get better was getting pubstomped in World at War. I played solo against clans and I wanted to reach their level. My k/d in that game actually went up from around 1 to 1.5, even though I have a good amount of kills when I decided that I was gonna try to get better. It was hard, but I did it. In MW2, I promised myself that I would strive for a 2 k/d and I got it. 2.18 in that game. It just got better and better. In Black Ops, it's 3.09 although it lowered a little in MW3 to 2.84 but it is still good. Bottom line is: you learn from your mistakes. Those guys back in WaW made me push myself and I'm rather proud of my performance now.

Only the noobs who were never really that interested in the first place will give up and stop playing. And of course, TreyArch can't have that. 3arc needs to keep the interest of noobs long enough so that the noobs buy the map packs. It's sad, I tell ya.

Level 3

in reply to HaiValPal

This was the most disgusting and disconnected thing I had ever heard from a cod dev when I saw this on his twitter. Where has the growth of cod come from then if noobs need to be comforted or they won't play anymore?

@dstr001: The strength of it has been increased dramatically. Hell, we had David Vonderhaar celebrating on twitter about how the pubstompers were all crying now. No, it is quite clear that this is a new focus in how they want the game to work.

Level 12

in reply to coolwhhhip

coolwhhhip wrote:

This was the most disgusting and disconnected thing I had ever heard from a cod dev when I saw this on his twitter. Where has the growth of cod come from then if noobs need to be comforted or they won't play anymore?

@dstr001: The strength of it has been increased dramatically. Hell, we had David Vonderhaar celebrating on twitter about how the pubstompers were all crying now. No, it is quite clear that this is a new focus in how they want the game to work.

That focus is going to drive the majority of the player base away. No one wants to play hours on end having to play on their A game struggling constantly. Espeically when the connection is playing against them. It doesn't lead to enjoyment it leads to frustration. The competitive scene was what league play was put in for.

If they wanted more balanced game play it should have went matching players only by connection first then breaking the teams up skillwise.

Level 34

in reply to HaiValPal

If they want to stop constant pub stomping, like said all they need to do is match parties of 4 plus together constantly when possible. It would still happen, but way less. Most people online are average to poor players (they will generally keep on playing each other a lot too), they should aim to get better vs the actual community. Above all it ruins the fun factor for a big part of the community and matchmaking quality all-round..

Someone said it already, this is newb catering to a whole new level and it completely ruins the games fun and addiction factor imo. It should be left for a MLG playlist at best or kept in league play only.

It took me 3 games to figure out I was playing people of high fps levels mainly. As I was the only greeny basically, constantly while leveling up as I got the game later on. It’s annoying on so many levels.

As it’s now you can’t finish a game without at least half of the team raging or rage quitting yourself do to the insanity, flawed compensation and lag of it all. I need to back-out constantly do to the extra lag it creates alone on “best.”

Since it messes with matchmaking quality, connection plays an even bigger role and since the players you’re playing either camp hard or are actually good, any bit of disadvantage, split-seconds is often game ruining & even if you do good, like said chances are big that they will rage quit or that the host dashes at some point..

Level 9

Studios