Broken lag compensation returns.

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Re: Broken lag compensation returns.

in reply to Maccabi

Enough off-topic, kiddo. This thread is about the broken lag compensation. I didn't even read half of that wall of text and I'm sure I'm not missing out on anything important.

Treyarch is working on several things. Obviously they're working on the matchmaking issues alot of people have been experiencing. Before the patch matchmaking stopped working completely for me and I've read that people are still having similar issues with it post-patch, so that's obviously what he was referring to.

Again, if it was matchmaking that was broken, lobbies would be full of 1-2 bar people. That's not the case. I have yet to see a lobby where someone has 2 bars or less. The majority always has 4 bars, alot of the time everyone does. Players are being matchmade properly, hence the low pings.

The problem is the broken netcode. In MW2 people with high latencies (for example 200ms) didn't cause any sync issues. Such people and the host had an equal chance in a gun fight against each other. No one had an advantage.

The netcode in BO2 can't handle even the slightest variance in latency properly, it seems. Even four bars players (0-100ms latency) are completely out of sync with each other.

maccabi wrote:

while it's commendable and slightly emabassing for us to see that  you insist on constantly replying to any thread that mentions lag or lag comp ect and continually seek to discredit myself and others

OH THE IRONY.

Level 6

in reply to Disconnected_

You are the kiddo here.....

Level 8

Disconnected_ wrote:

Enough off-topic, kiddo. This thread is about the broken lag compensation. I didn't even read half of that wall of text and I'm sure I'm not missing out on anything important.

And THIS right here proves the point of my post most succinctly ,

/done

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

yes and again the majority of the problems people are facing is either down to matchmaking NOT "lag comp" (*generic term.) or something with their own networks or isps. Sorry this is a fact regardless of how many people with little or no understanding of the subject say to the contary.

Nope.

MW2 didn't have these sync issues. In MW2 matchmaking worked, people in the lobby usually had either four bars or three bars (0-200ms latency) and everyone was in sync.

In MW3 and BO2 lobbies are full of people with four bars or three bars, so if they haven't changed the scale of those latency indicators, matchmaking works just as well. In fact, with the player base this big I've gotten some lobbies where everyone has four bars, meaning everyone has <100ms latency to the host. So, matchmaking works well in this game aswell. If it was matchmaking that's broken, lobbies would be full of 1-2 bar players, which is not the case.

So, why does the one with a higher latency get an advantage? Broken lag compensation. In MW2 a 3 bar player (100-200ms) and the host both had an equal chance in a gun fight against each other, because the netcode worked. If in BO2 a 3 bar player goes against the host, he has a huge advantage. Same as in MW3.

The worst games I've had in this game has been as the host. Can barely get any of my bullets to register and from my point of view I die instantly when someone shoots at me. Just like in MW3.

Basically, MW2 handled latencies up to 200ms very well, everyone was in sync. BO2 can't even keep lobbies full of four bar players in sync, because of the broken lag compensation. And it's always the people with low latencies that get the disadvantage and vice versa, from my experience.

Level 6

I just wrote some stuff for my clan WOLO on how to avoid lag comp, the 1st COD game I ever played was MW3, at 1st I thought I just sucked at the game, my KD was locked down at 0.6 on PS3 and 0.9 on xbox no matter what I tried, controllers, TVs, routers, modems, isps, mtu etc. Now that I know how to avoid lag comp I can pick and choose, host the game, go negative, and deal with KDs like 18/34 or not host and go 17/0 flawless camping or 40/7 running and gunning. The degree of lag compensation has a direct reflection on your KD regardless of skill, reaction time, perks, guns, or experience. Check out this quick article I wrote for more info: tiny(you are L period com slash)boeu56j

I figured this stuff out the old school way, through 9+ months of trial and error.

Level 5

in reply to TinyLittleTimmy2

TinyLittleTimmy wrote:

I just wrote some stuff for my clan WOLO on how to avoid lag comp, the 1st COD game I ever played was MW3, at 1st I thought I just sucked at the game, my KD was locked down at 0.6 on PS3 and 0.9 on xbox no matter what I tried, controllers, TVs, routers, modems, isps, mtu etc. Now that I know how to avoid lag comp I can pick and choose, host the game, go negative, and deal with KDs like 18/34 or not host and go 17/0 flawless camping or 40/7 running and gunning. The degree of lag compensation has a direct reflection on your KD regardless of skill, reaction time, perks, guns, or experience. Check out this quick article I wrote for more info: tiny(you are L period com slash)boeu56j

I figured this stuff out the old school way, through 9+ months of trial and error.

Too bad you didn't include a proper link, I would have read what you have to say.

Level 48

in reply to otisman666

you can't include a link cause they think links are spam, you can figure it out you = U, are = R, and L is L, a period is dot and everbody knows what a com is as well as what slash to use, if not check out our clan comments WOLO for PS3, it has the full link, clan #3774329 or add me as a friend on the ps3 I'll send it that way.

Level 5

I'm dealing with the same problem.  I haven't played a Call of Duty since World at War and for the first few days I thought I was just bad, or not used to the hitboxes.  It always seemed weird that I could stab a dude in the back three times, and he wouldn't die.  Or that I could shoot a guy point blank several times and have him turn around and instant kill me.  Then I began noticing that I was regularly dying through walls, so that is when I really started to watch the kill cam and about 80% of the time I die the killcam shows something entirely different than what was happening on my screen.  Often times when I think I am shooting my opponent point blank in the chest, the killcam reveals that I wasn't even firing at him.  I think this game would be absolutely awesome without the lag compensation, but to be 100% honest I'm going to go play a F2P shooter over this crap because it's at least competitive.

Fortunately Planetside 2 came out today.

Level 1

there are 2 things that you can do to fix lag, one is set your search preferences to best and the other is do a handstand count to a million and make sure you know what ur talking about, ive had no problem with lag and thats because treyarch know what there doing and i have good internet connection myself, consider for a second that mabye, just mabye your horrible B grade internet needs an upgrade from when it was installed and that these issues are not the fault of the company who created this almost perfect game.

Level 3

in reply to Renovartio

renovartio if its our b grade connection that's getting 4 bar connections in just about every game but geting owned by people with 3-2 bars hows that then. them coming with higher ping have a better connection than us. sure that sound right.

and just out of interest what do you think b grade connection is. as its been said its not how much bandwidth you have its the pings you get and if 4 bars is the best connection to the lobby then how much better can you get it.

now im no expert and people say its not lag comp and so on but on reading what lag comp is, its sound like what's happening to me. delay being added to me to match the people with higher pings (3-2bar connection).

just an idea for you, if you have no problems with the game go play it

Level 1

Studios