Broken lag compensation returns.

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Re: Broken lag compensation returns.

in reply to Hayburn1

Hayburn wrote:

buying a new router may change something but I cant get much better than 4 bars in game but yet every time i play where there are lobby's with 2-3 bar people in its hopeless to try. I can get the drop on them, shoot them in the back and get loads of hit makers before they drop if im lucky, other times they spin on me instantly kill me, with out even a sign of me getting injured. and hosting I may as well just go make a cuppa and leave them playing until its over

Yep, so true. There's nothing wrong with our hardware. It's the netcode that's completely broken and it's a bit worrying that the devs still haven't said anything regarding this subject. After MW3s launch IW completely ignored this issue for the first 6 months. In the end, after 12 months, nothing had changed for the better. In fact it was more broken than it was on release. I wonder if the same will happen with BO2.

Devs, could you please comment on this subject?

Level 6

in reply to Hayburn1

I was getting 4 bars on my cable provided modem but it didn't help.  Switching to the better modem made all the difference.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

Nearly every game, all the people in the lobby have 3 bar connection. My connection goes between 2 and 4 bars, when it is 4 bars on every other game I play. I have 50mb broadband and getting 20mb as I am wireless.

Level 4

in reply to marsha31

If you are bouncing between 2 and 4 bars you probably have a problem with either your router or your modem.  That's what mine did when it was going bad.  So buying a new one is bound to help.  With your broadband being what it is you should have plenty good enough service coming to the house but if your modem is holding you back then the game is going to play terribly. 

I used to wonder how I could get a 50ping to the lobby and still lag but when you consider the possibility that this game may just be pushing more data through the modem than the standard ISP provided one can handle, it starts to make sense.  Maybe the game shouldn't have been built that way but we have to work with what we've got.  I know that lag is very frustrating as I suffered all of last year with it and felt like I should spread the word of what worked for me.  I hope that your new modem works out as good for you as mine did for me.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

phxs72 wrote:

I know that lag is very frustrating as I suffered all of last year with it and felt like I should spread the word of what worked for me.

Ok. You've spread your word enough in this topic, hopefully.

I repeat what I've said earlier. MW3 and BO2 are the ONLY online games that don't work properly on my connection using my router/modem. Everything else works perfectly fine. The problem is NOT on my end. It's the broken netcode.

Remember that MW3 has this same problem and the devs have admitted that this problem exists and it is indeed the game that is broken.

So yeah, enough with this modem thing. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a new modem for this game. Chances are it's not going to make any difference, because the problem is with the game itself. Which is why I'd like to keep this thread on topic and focused on the core issue, which is the broken netcode.

Again, any dev input would be appreciated.

Level 6

in reply to Disconnected_

Good luck to you.  However, even if you are correct that the net code is the problem and it may very well be why you need that other topic that you don't want to talk about in MW3 and BO2 while you don't need it in other games, the devs aren't going to be able to rewrite the game.  It's already launched.  Maybe they can for the next game but it's too late for this one.  Since you seem to prefer to be right over happy, I won't try to argue the point further. However, I appreciate your passion and wish you well. 

If there are any devs out there that could weigh in on this issue please do so.  Disconnected_ as well as several others are very frustrated (understandably so) and need to hear directly from you what will make their gaming experience in BO2 a better one.  I hope that you will be so kind as to help them.

Level 69

I'm not sure how they altered the netcode from MW3 but it is not working as it should. I have a 9 second ping (120/15) yet the game will never select me as a host for example, post the 1.03 update anyway. Before that I did sometimes and even when I wasn't games were ok.

Now even though I always pull 4 bar it is the same experience that everyone else having, losing gun fights even though you get off a first burst of bullets etc.

To be frank, the specifics of why the connections are working as they should doesn't interest me with regards to the netcode and the way they have implemented lag compensation, all I know is that a lot of people will grow disheartened by this before too long. Will you play this for 12 months? I won't and I put up with MW3 for that length of time.

The fundamental thing any developer should know is that people don't like dying in games to things that are completely out of their control.

To be honest I would rather die from Dead Man's Hand once or twice a game then lose fights like I am to connection.

Treyarch have designed a pretty damn good game in terms of it's core design. Best COD I have played ... when it works. I would hate to see it fail due to poor infrastructure issues.

As per the conversion above regarding routers etc, maybe it can make a difference in some cases, depends on that guys set up before but I have a Cisco Gigabit router, hell I even rout my LAN through another Gigabit switch just in case and I also have my PS3 placed nicely in my DMZ as well.

It was the same as Black Ops. Connection was bad, we were the guinea pigs for a month or so while they collected data, and then they altered it accordingly. I commend Treyarch for being committed to their games post launch but it still doesn't make it right that they released an unfinished, not properly tested product. Would you buy a brand new car that had issues with stalling and engine problems and accept from the garage that they will fix the problem over the following weeks?

I play on PS3 by the way.

Level 1

i've got a great respect for those who have knowledge for all the internet stuff, it's really usefull.

But we are trying to report here a huge issue, i'm from France and on all french forum there are many many complaints about this issue, it's incredible !

i've got a solid internet connection, wired, great router with gigabit ports, all ports forwards (go to port forwarding.com), check severals times with ping test and speed test, check all stuff (mtu for example), try with different router special gaming...

i really hope that a treyarch dev read this thread, really annoying...i sent an email to the activision support with more details.

Ps : i'm a PS3 user. sorry for my english.

Level 2

On another post there is someone who was complaining about "lag comp" and how bad the "net code" was.

I wont say how but he used something to bypass the matchmaking system the game uses ,

He then reported that the game ran fine even with a 3 bar.  Doesn't matter how many times someone says the netcode is bust the simple fact is it isnt.

^^^^this proves that fact

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

at this point I don't care what it is. if someone is using something to bypass the way the rest of us have to play then isn't that modding. and if your having to mod to just to play on a fair playing field then that tells that Theres a problem. what ever its is netcode matchmaking somthing's wrong and its needs sorting.

Level 1

Studios