Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.

in reply to wridtrvlr

says the guy with a 6 mb connection and a 2.0 kdr

Level 1

in reply to Moorningstar

Lag comp is not the issue, the issue is how its been implemented. Mw2 had lag comp and it had the best online ive seen.

Level 17

in reply to josh1073

Ok, Ill humour you. In MW2 where did you have to shoot to hit your target?

1. Behind where I see the enemy

2. At the enemy

3. In front of the enemy

In BLOPS2 where do you have to shoot to hit your target?

1. Behind where I see the enemey

2. At the enemy

3. In front of the enemy

If the answer to both of these questions is number 2, then you just proved to me, yourself and everyone else on this forum that you still dont know what lag compensation is.

Level 7

in reply to Godotpwn

If you are so knowledgable on the subject of lag compensation please enlighten us all with out your sarcastic and condesending comments. You sit there saying you know everything and that its not the lag compensation that is the problem but for some reason never mention what lag compensation is nor do you mention where the problem originates.

Level 9

in reply to crosby85

Theres a link in this very thread thats been pasted twice. Here it is for the 3rd time:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compensation

The problem originates from lag. Not lag compensation, not buffer bloat, not whatever else you want to call it. All online games have lag. The player that turns around a corner will always see the camper first, with or without lag compensation. This is the problem so many people describe and its simply caused by lag.

It is also the cause for the differences seen by theater mode and normal gameplay. When your playing, lag compensation is in action and doing its job, in theater mode there is no lag compensation. This is why you see people shooting at thin air and still get hit markers, this would be what the game would look like without lag comp (well, technically it wouldn't be exactly the same but it would be very similar with one minor difference). If you cant understand everything thats written in that page then you should at least listen to the people that can.

Level 7

in reply to Godotpwn

So if this is the case why when I run around a corner do I not see the "camper" before he shoots me, o yeah its because he is a much more advantagous position than me. Its stratigic positioning that wins games you idiot, when I play a game I move around the map using cover to limit the area the enemy has to shoot me which means the idiot runing and gunning should have a much harder target to hit (head glitching) and I have the entire character to aim at and shoot. However I die before I have even seen the enemy, this is due to the way that the lag compensation on this particular game has been set up, where as the fact that the host for the match is no longer the person with the best connection its the guy that has the average connection in the lobby to try and balance it out it is how long it takes for the data to ping back from his router which is slowed down to match the person with the slow connection. Despite what we see on our screen it shows you what in theory the host would see. This in my opinion is far too aggressive. I understand that the problem originates with the lag but the reason people are complaining is that the program for the lag compensation is not performing how it should.

Moorningstar is therefore pointing out the problem where even if you set your search peramiters to best other people that search for any can still end up in your lobby, this therfore creates a possible lag problem and therefore the lag compensation kicks in in a more agressive manor than that of a game played in a more local area i.e the UK, if someone from the UK ends up in a lobby containing a majority of American players he would cause problems for that lobby and vice versa. I think what Moorningstar is suggesting would be rather than remove it it needs to revert to how it was set up in an earlier version say for instance MW2 (very few people I ever played with/against ever complained about the lag in this game) and have a better search facility whereas when people could cause a problem for the lobby they get kicked.

Level 9

in reply to crosby85

You can get reported/banned for disrespecting your peers like that. Bring it up a level.

Your analysis on lag compensation is incorrect. If you choose not to believe it that is fine, and we can all agree to disagree. Calling others idiots is never going to get your point across.

Activision Ambassador

If someone is talking to me in a codisending manor I will call them what I want, believe me I could have called him much worse. It is not that I do not believe what lag comp is, I have just read many arguments on it and I have also read how Treyarch have their program set up. Just read my simple explanation on how I understand this games lag comp is set up.

A = Slow Internet in Austrailia

B = Average Speed internet in France

C = High Speed Internet in UK

Lobby contains:

1 x A

3 x B

8 x C

The game will then determine who will be host, and as the middle ground is France with an average speed it will choose one of the 3 from France.

we then go into a game and this is where the lag compensation will kick in. 1 player C runs for cover and on his screen makes it with no problem as there was no one there when he checked his corners. However player A being so far behind pinging his data the lag compesation has saved player C's movements in relation with player B as he is host. Player A finally gets to a point where in theory he could see player C would have been running for cover if everyone playing was in the same region (France) and fires his gun, each bullet then conects with the saved path of player C's movements and therefore is awarded a kill.

If however all players had been from the same region when player C checked his corners were clear he would not have ran for cover as he would have seen someone coming from the other direction and a fair gun fight would have occured. This time with the player in the most advantagous position usually coming out on top providing he reacts quick enough.

so as I have been trying to point out the system is flawed, and the host should not be given to the guy in the middle it should be given to one of the majority. This would mean that the data would travel much quicker between the 8 in the UK and as France isn't far from the UK it would be quick there too. The only person that would loose out is in Austrailia.

This then brings me back to the original point made by moorningstar, if the search peramiters only allowed for playes that search for "best" and link up with a majority that one of them should get host and just because some idiot searches "any" that the whole lobby (typically the opposition, as the team on his side would benifit from the host issues) would then stop complaining about the lag.

If you disagree with what I am saying then please point out the specific areas whereas you believe my argument is invalid.

Level 9

in reply to crosby85

Call me an idiot or whatever else, it really makes no difference. I'm pretty sure I know how to win games considering I have a 4.52 KD in MW3 and I also completed a Moab With Every Gun series on youtube.

As rlbl said, your understanding of lag compensation is still incorrect. I can only surmise that you either didn't read the link we posted, or you didn't understand what it is saying. Your wall of text doesnt detail your belief of what lag compensation actually does, its just a hypothetical situation that could be caused a number of different factors. If you can define the function of lag compensation within 3 or 4 sentences then I will point out where your argument is invalid.

Oh and coincidentally, I am from Australia and I know better than most what a bad connection feels like. People saying that I benefit from it due to lag compensation have no idea what they are saying. I challenge you to play with my connection.

Level 7

in reply to Godotpwn

Look you can keep pointing to an official looking post all you want.  What we're saying is that we actually did read it, and it doesn't explain what were seeing actually happen.  In fact what it claims that these steps WONT ALLOW what were seeing to happen.  As to your high KDR I would like to know your location ISP service and DL UL speeds please.  I would love to get this god connection you seem to have.

Saying something over and over DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE (I'll bet you vote democrat because they repeat themselves huh).  If you don't have anything new to say then why do you keep posting?  We read your post.  We checked the data it gave.  We then pointed out flaws in that data.  Do you explain these flaws?  Nope you just repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself, repeat yourself.

Like a broken record.  Do you realise how annoying those things are broken record?

Please learn to think analytically.  As Socrates once said 'The most important question you can ask is 'WHY''.  Start asking yourself 'WHY'.

Level 6

Studios