What do Treyarch have against Snipers?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

What do Treyarch have against Snipers?

So as you all know, in Black Ops 1, the snipers were underpowered beyond belief. Thankfully, after a few patches they became usable and fun. Now they've taken a completely new approach to shunning snipers once again in Black Ops 2.

Let's take the DSR, since that's the only good sniper in the entire game. I use the term "good" very, very loosely.

It's a one hit kill from any range from the waist upwards. Fair enough. That's what you expect. But the time to ADS is atrociously slow. They're really trying to make it like a real sniper. That's the problem though. Call of Duty isn't Battlefield. It's not meant to be that realistic. It's about running around going insane with any gun you want. Not sitting in a corner of the map waiting for someone to come along while everyone else is spraying and praying.

And then we come to the Ballista. This just boggles my mind how they can make a Sniper rifle so abhorrently bad. It seems like it takes at least a neck shot to kill someone in one hit, which is ridiculous.

I feel Treyarch hasn't grasped the concept that surrounds Call of Duty. It's not about realism. It's about fast paced action and doing crazy things.

The sooner Treyarch realises and acts upon this, the better.

Level 2
24 REPLIES

Re: What do Treyarch have against Snipers?

in reply to sharingan_2

I feel Treyarch hasn't grasped the concept that surrounds Call of Duty. It's not about realism. It's about fast paced action and doing crazy things.

The sooner Treyarch realises and acts upon this, the better.

First sniper rifles are actually very good (if the game permits accuracy). I am not a prone to sniping but these rifles do the job with good distance.

And this last comment about what this game is supposed to be is you very own opinion! This game should incorporate a balance of mayhem / control.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

Got gold on SVU and DSR, they are both fine. easy to handle and both have pro's and con's

Level 12

in reply to squity123

I have had some good games with the SVU and the ballista, they both have a nice sound to them, and the time to ADS is decent.

of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

I see where you're coming from. It is technically opinion based. But can you honestly tell me Call of Duty is as slow paced as Battlefield or Arma for example?

Level 2

in reply to sharingan_2

The game is as fast or slow as the players want it to be.  If a sniper was meant to be used like an AR or and SMG, all the guns would be the same.

Making a sniper too easy to use (think IW) makes the game fun for some, and absurd for others.

Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

in reply to sharingan_2

sharingan_2 wrote:

I see where you're coming from. It is technically opinion based. But can you honestly tell me Call of Duty is as slow paced as Battlefield or Arma for example?

I've played BF and these are two very different games, each to there own. But COD is much faster than BF.

Arma never played, I'll look it up.

of our training"
Level 75

in reply to sharingan_2

I wish the xpr was a bolt action sniper rifle, i like how big it is, but theres no reason why a 50 cal sniper rifle should kill in two shots

Level 7

in reply to sharingan_2

BO 2 Snipers & Sniping (the play-style) is *NOTHING* - and I repeat "N O T H I N G" compared to real-life sniping.

I assure you, not one real-life Sniper will "Quick-scope" or jump around like clueless monkeys in a real battle. Apparently - it's your opinion that there aren't ENOUGH of headless chickens running around on BO2 games. I respect you (the person) in spite of that opinion - but that opinion is beyond laughter.

As if the number of players running around ridiculously small maps with SMGs, Shotguns, Pistols aren't enough - you want "even more" players to run around with Snipers. FYI - I assure you there are "more than enough" players that run around QS-ing with the Snipers even in their current form (& when I was levelling up my Snipers - I *too* had to run around QS-ing, inspite of being completely loathe to that concept).

MN

Level 11

in reply to mn7_la1

That's kind of the point of Call of Duty. And pretty much any video game. That's common sense. Everyone knows real snipers don't just run around and quickscope. The concept of a game is to escape from reality and do things that you can't do in the real world. Being that Call of Duty is such a fast paced action game, it's only natural that snipers can be used in that way. It built a reputation of quickscoping since CoD 2. Then Treyarch decided to throw it out the window. I have no idea why, since leaving it in would bring nothing negative. I just don't understand their logic around video game design.

Level 2

Studios