Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Highlighted

Re: What Lag?

in reply to JC480

That's one of the best demonstrations of the issue that i've seen. Good Find

Level 20

in reply to JC480

yes this is an excellent demo of something broken in the game... but the title of it being "lag compensation" is not 100% accurate...

worth a watch though

Activision Ambassador

True because it's technically offline (LAN), but add it all up together and that's a big issue

Level 20

in reply to WolfRidge

yes agreed... When I 1st saw I was thinking "WTF!?"

Activision Ambassador

in reply to JC480

This explains why so many people are doing the "assault shield/head glitch" thing. If someone plants the shield, and the animations don't catch up with what is going on, then it is no wonder why people can kill me over an assault shield even if I have where their head would pop up in my sniper sight. Complete BS.

Level 10

in reply to JC480

Wrong!

you slow it down to frame by frame - worst case is like 10 frames which equals less tha a milli second. do the math 25 frames per second multiply by 60 and then divide by120 and add the time it takes to blink your eyes and you see no difference.

Lan based games will show you whos the best. the interweeb is a problem and the way I see it the only ones that are most vocal about mw2 ect always had the benifit of lag and now that they are close to the same as the rest of us they whine and complain

/rant

Level 8

in reply to iHuntU1

This video has done the best explanation of the lag compensation I have seen about this game because he actually understands the engineering behind the algorithms and how it affects the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoFnIckyoxg

He does a very good job of explaining extrapolation vs. interpolation as lag compensation and what you see based on what method the developers have chosen to use.

Lag compensation, simply put, is the attempt to sync playing experiences up based on a delay with timestamps of actions applied at the host level.  BLOPS 2 uses a horrendous algorithm that puts in a timestamp delay that appears to try and sync actions at about .630 milliseconds. 

What this translates to is the faster internet you have, the more delay will be applied to you from the host.  This means, the faster connection to the host you have, the more you will be affected by the applied delay to sync actions. 

A .6 second delay is the equivelent time difference between a 2 and 4 bar connection.  This means that the way the game is coded at this point, is that the best of connections will take the largest hit. Those people people that have average to good connections will experience much less of this delay and probably not even notice the .3 second delay that they are applied because human reaction time is about the same. 

Watch the video, it really is a great job of explaining how and why lag compensation is used with great visual representation taken STRAIGHT from Black Ops 2.

Level 2

in reply to timshady1980

Another good find! I've watched his videos before, he sounds a bit out there, probably all the meds he's had for his illness

Shame he doesn't work for Treyarch R&D/QA

Level 20

in reply to timshady1980

Wow. I've never had that happen to me. Not even once.

I can see why people are complaining if that's what they are experiencing. I'm not sure how you could play like that. Thank you.

Level 4

in reply to iHuntU1

The "Lag" is very intermittent. I can have games that are awesome and the next I get owned. No hit markers just insta-deaths. I have upgraded all of my network components and have zero issue on any of the previous COD titles. But for some reason BO2 has some sort of inherent code corruption that makes the game play very inconsistent for numerous players. 

Level 12

Studios