UAV/Ghost and the serious imbalance

Call of Duty Black Ops II General Discussion

Re: UAV/Ghost and the serious imbalance

in reply to hartsan

It's bad, I like the idea they had coming in, I really did, in theory it sounded fine, but like most things when it came to real world use it just failed horribly, all ghost does is force you to play a certain way or it doesn't work at all. Worst part though is that now with nuketown going offline all the attention will go to that, rather then fixing core game issues like this

Level 2

in reply to hartsan

Totally agree.

Just keep beating on Treyarch to fix it, and they will. Keep the conversation going.

They obviously have some anti camper ragers on their development team who came up with this.

8_x
Level 8

in reply to catharsism

At first I was OK with the Ghost change. I move around anyways, I don't camp. The first few days, it made me a better player. I was more aware of my surroundings.

But now the effect of the change is rearing it's ugly head.

The irony is this. The change was made to prevent camping. What has happened, however... is that once a team gets a UAV in the air, they can then camp it out and wait for the red dots. Even with Ghost equipped, you register if you slow down long enough to ADS or advance on a target slowly or tactically. It is disheartening to have the drop on someone because a teammate communicated location only to have them run directly towards your red dot which appeared when you stopped for a split second to check your corners or advance carefully through a door.

Either needs to be put back to where it protects you no matter what, OR tuned to a point where you are able to stop moving long enough for tactical purposes. Long enough to fire a rocket.

If not put it back to full strength, then do this. If you are moving, no dot at all. If you stop moving for 10 seconds, you have a ten second period in which your dot gradually fades back in until it is solid (kind of the reverse of what happens when you die and your dot disappears). This would benefit all play styles. Campers would be able to hold an area more effectively. Runners would be able to get the drop on campers who linger in one spot too long. No effective player can ever keep moving at all times, nonetheless move quickly. There are always times when you need to slow down or stop entirely for tactical reasons.

Teammate runs into a building, you are trailing behind them. You watch them go inside, and die immediately. Would running into the building be the intelligent thing to do? No, you would a) hit the deck and watch the doorway for exiting enemies, b) carefully breach the building, moving slowly and checking your corners.... pretty much any solution would involve slowing down or stopping. Seems silly to punish players for handling that situation correctly.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

Well said, Nice!

Exactly what everyone is thinking.

8_x
Level 8
Highlighted

Going to be fun reloading the LSAT LMG when a UAV is called in.

Level 31

Ahem ... I'm not going to say the obvious nicedrewish.

In any case, I did not like the change before I got the game, I did not like the change once I started playing the game, and I still don't like the change.

The intent was to reduce the amount of camping. Well, some of us out here told everyone that camping was not taking place as often as was perceived ... but we were called campers ourselves. Smart logic there. Whatever. The net result, though, is that camping has now been increased. Big time.

The solution to all of this was to make the UAV a higher end ksr. Then you would have had fewer people running Ghost and players would have had to rely more heavily on what they actually see instead of what the mini-map shows. Problem solved.

Whatever. I've adapted now so I DGAS. I wouldn't mind seeing the stop time increased from 1 second to about 10 to 12 seconds. That would substantially change the dynamics.

The best we can hope for now is that the delay will be made longer. There's no way to go back and completely change how Ghost works. That would likely cause more problems than it solves. Besides: this is the game as it has been released now.

Own it.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to catharsism

Even with all the portable radars and uav in Mw3 most people did not run assassin.

I really see no point in destroying the ghost perk, it was only a problem with a very small amount of people abusing it. And most the people that did that were so nooby that they didn't use assassin anyway cause they didn't know it would help.

Level 9

in reply to danielbondnz

This^

I love assassin for my snipe class but it really didn't fair to well for other classes that I would run around with.

Level 2

in reply to catharsism

I can't agree with this enough. The fact that it's forcing us into a mindless, hipfire, don't even think about checking your surroundings sort of playstyle is driving me nuts. It's hardly dissuading people from camping and has made it more difficult to deal with campers. I'm sick of people saying that it's a L2P problem or that if I'm doing anything but running I'm camping. I'm still doing really well, I just think the nerf is ridiculously misguided.

Level 2

in reply to catharsism

IMO, the first MW had the stealth balancing correct. If you wanted to be steathly(cold blooded then), you essentially had to sacrifice gun damage (stopping power).

My suggestion would be to make ghost users completely immune to UAV at all times, but slightly decrease the bullet damage when ghost is equipped. I think that would make the perk more balanced.

Level 1

Studios