Momentum: Does this game give random advantage?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Momentum: Does this game give random advantage?

in reply to SanAndreasPsych1

Sometimes you do feel like someone flips a switch during the match, for better or for worse. The losing team seems to come back out of nowhere, even if no one rage quits so a change in the lag cannot always be the case. Naturally there can be some fluctuation in the pings people have to the host (or the host's connection has some interference or additional traffic) which might be the explanation, who nows since sniperfrog is not proven. But it does feel like somekind of a system giving or taking away the momentum exists.

Other thing i've noticed, is the lack of flinch when shot and strong amount of aim assist low level players seem to have, even without toughness. All of these things wouldn't be suprising since they want to keep the noobs and casual players happy and as returning customers when the next title drops.

Level 22

in reply to Raketti

I absolutely agree with the lack of flinch with low level players. I'm glad someone else noticed it, was starting to question my sanity.  If I find myself in a game with low level players (and sometimes I do because, even though I'm a higher level my stats are terrible lol) they are very hard to kill, almost consistently. Like my AN is shooting big old fluffy tampons at them.

Also, would agree with the momentum change. Me and the boyfriend used to play online quite a bit...although not as much anymore, lag and freezing issues mostly have taken away a lot of the fun. Anyway, he's pretty good, I'm not, but he can actually tell the point when the game momentum changes, in either direction. It's like the game tries to give the losing team a bit of a chance. He's also noticed that the more he plays, the worse he gets...and we're not talking about 8 hour stretchs where fatigue will play a roll. He'll have a few really good games, then he'll go brutally bad one game after another. And the kicker is that we're playing split screen, same connection and the "lag comp" (meaning getting instantly killed, bullets not registering, getting killed by people not on your screen, etc, etc) will affect him way more than me or just affect him and not me at all.

We've wondered for a while if it's just plain "lag/lag com", or if there's a bit more to it. Mostly it does seem sometimes like there may be something kicking around the coding to penalize better players to keep the more casual players from getting discouraged, so they'll keep spending their money on the DLC, future games, etc.

Level 1

id like to say I know exactly what your talking about, Myself I am preciously holding onto my 1.0 and its been a struggle, I looked into all kind of scenarios from cable quality to propagation delay which is something beyond our control and the only response time I found I needed to work on is my own. I go back watch my vids as you mention same map same players in the first round I am 28-7 the second I am 9 and 18, my tactics did not change so what happened? I call it being out of sync, meaning instead of them running by me and me flanking them its reversed why who knows, the best way to win a gun fight is not get into one catching people by surprise is best. I have only been playing for a year barely past rookie, there is no telling how many score streaks I have awarded in MW3 to the enemy LOL, but if someone with an accuracy of 17-20% goes against someone at 25 - 35 % there is not much of a battle, I have had games where I hit and killed just about every thing I shot at and other games i empty a magazine never got a hiy marker. initally it looks like i hit them but after watching the kill cam my tracers were to this left while straffing, milli-seconds is the difference between life and death at times i get flash banged , run into my own grenade, shot in the back, flanked, gang banged and so on. one thing for sure if you can see them they can see you, My nephew runs around like a rabid crack head needing a fix, what surprises me it makes no difference the map, game mode, weapon, I have sat behind him watching and he shoots and kills people I never see, i've watch him go 58 and 8 on my unit thinking wow how is that possible its crazy, I used to think people like him was cheating  but I have seen first hand there are people out there that are that good.

Level 1

I started to think this in MW3 - especially while playing All or Nothing FFA in the community playlist.

I would be playing amazing and just about to get the last few kills to win and suddenly the tide would change and everyone else would start killing me with ease and closing in on me. Even though I was doing playing no different, it felt like something was holding me back.

Another scenario would be me doing terrible and so far behind leader that it would be a lost cause but then magically going on a kill frenzy and turning things around.

Level 3
Highlighted

I'd say that momentum is the correct word for it.  When you've got the momentum you're king of the world and when you don't it's painfully obvious.  I don't think that it's a game mechanic but rather a side effect of the game.  I've played long enough to know that many gunfights are won or lost due to timing and positioning.  If I can get to the correct spot at the correct time, more than likely I'll take out whomever pops the corner that I'm looking at but if I miss time it by even a second the advantage will go to my opponent.  I play solo a lot (mostly to minimize my lag problems) which means that I join a whole lot of games late.  Generally if I end up on a team that is doing well then I will do well also because more than likely they have pinned the enemy down.  But if I join a team that is getting slaughtered it's very difficult to change the momentum simply because for every guy that you kill another one will take you out from behind.  Often it takes a few minutes of kill/die and repeat before you've been able to push the enemy back far enough to mount a comeback.  So for those games where you start out winning and then find yourself rocking a large deathstreak, what has happened is that your team has lost it's momentum.  Somewhere along the line somebody got to his position a little too late and now the enemy has taken the advantage (momentum) away from you.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

doesn't it feel good tho when you join a team that's getting stomped and it's you who comes in and beasts your way to the top and inspires your teammates to a comeback victory!?  I love those moments!

Level 19

in reply to Im_A_Drag85

yes it does!

Level 69

When you play HQ you will most likely feel like this game is an conspiracy lol.

you could in the proces of capturing a HQ when you suddenly get shot by an opponent and watch the replay to see he just respawned next to HQ and then turn to rage when you see you respawn on the other side of the map lol.

small maps like hijacked and slums are the worst ever.

yemen actually has 1 team start the game in front of the first HQ and if they have anything resembling a brain then chances are you wont get that first HQ.
then after you finally destroy it you head to the next HQ where the opponents are respawning next to lol.

Level 27

i know the feeling.. me and my clan was going ham for 5 games in a row against the same people.. they did put up a decent game..

on the sixth game.. my god.. the 1 shot gods were upon them... leading me to die before i even get a shot off... also they become sponges and asorb all my bullets...

and the inconcitency of flak jacket.. C4 to the face they survive... with flak jacket.. C4 to my face with flak jacket i die.. lol

Level 3

I have thought the same thing about momentum......up untill lately i had assumed it was Lag /LagComp

because of people leaving the game in progress and others players joining in progress....

But the last few nights there have been to many of us who like playing together to party up as one party, so 6 will party up and the rest of us keep trying to join the game in progress until we all get in......and a few times we have managed to get 12 of us in the same game lobby

I am nowhere near as good as some of the guys, but i am better than some........I have had games where i owned the other team ......12-0 then all of a sudden ......my gun started shooting cottonballs and i end up just barely breaking even or maybe going neg.

All of us noticed what was going on

with no one leaving or no new person joining  we joked and said the game was handicapping us

Level 16

Studios