Is fibre optic a bad thing?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Is fibre optic a bad thing?

in reply to brigasm_

You usually shoudnt be getting matched with players halfway around the world, thats the whole point of matchmaking in the first place.

Level 2

in reply to B5NCo

8mbps is already more than sufficient to play, and upgrading it really won't make a difference. Assuming the ping times and upload is constant or similar.

Going from something like 2mbps to 40mbps would give a difference, but 8 to 40 really won't

Level 35

in reply to B5NCo

My personal opinion about the fios crap. I'm not using internet provided by a cellular company. Hell, I won't even use AT&T internet.

Level 59

in reply to B5NCo

Bandwidth is only important to the point of do you have enough to play the game. Ping is really what lag compensation is dealing with. I have a under 10ms ping MW3 was unplayable but I go straight wired with Black Ops2 and I am doing great. With MW3 if I went from Wireless to wired my lag would get worse because it improved my ping and lag compensation was trying to match connection speeds so me with a good ping gets a more latent signal of what's happening in real time with people who have not so good pings. The problem is that the lag comp gives too much latency to people with good pings. I am not experiencing this with Black Ops 2.

Level 17

in reply to B5NCo

The real question is, can you get a true NAT 1 connection type with your ISP service and modem/router configuration?

I've been having bad luck with matchmaking connections since BO2 came out. So last weekend I bought a Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0. Upgraded my internet service to Docsis 3.0 speeds, locked down my router configuration to give my PS3 a type 1 nat connection. After that I'm getting maybe 1 out of 5 games where everyone else will have a 3 bar connection and mine will be full. That is with the best setting ingame also.

It's all a matter of configuring your equipment and your ISP as far as ping times ect, not so much bandwidth.

Unless you have a ton of stuff on your network then greater bandwidth and a 300m wireless router or good router will allow you to play decient when everyone in your house is sucking up your bandwidth like a hoover.

/2cents

Level 1

in reply to B5NCo

fibre optic is good basically sky bt and other internet companies use radio signals and they can get blocked by throwing a frisbee in front of the dish bu tif u have fibre optic it goes dep under the oceon so u wont have that much lag or internet going off casue of tornado or something like that virgin has fibre optinc and i got 30mb speed and i dont lag plus people dont lag when they in my lobbby

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to B5NCo

B5NCo wrote:

Switching from 8meg to sky 40 meg fibre optic on Friday, been looking about off the forum and noticed a lot of people complaining that it's a bad thing to have a fast connection?

I can't think of a reason why so can someone shed some light on the matter?

For most multi player games Sky is a dream as it's the only main IP in the UK to not bottleneck its traffic but for MW3/BLOPs2 it's a nightmare you'll pretty much have to double up on the normal amount of bullets needed and the radar is slightly off and this is in the good rounds.

The bad rounds on BLOPs2(which are most) 5 out of the 6 on the enemy will take at least 12 hit markers before hitting the ground and the 6th dude will be in region of 20+ hitmarkers also you'll be fighting claude rains a lot.

For most games a great IP but for the last 2 COD it just adds to the woes.

Level 21

Studios