Is Origins a stolen idea?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Zombies

Re: Is Origins a stolen idea?

in reply to SmiteFromAbove

Yeah, trenches definitely...it was pretty standard on how to build a trench. The tanks don't look very similar in my opinion, but it may just be the difference in angle.

And the robots don't look that similar except in size.

Level 20

in reply to badsantaboy181

Yeah it's a rip off, but so is just about everything else in culture nowadays. Hardly anything is truly original nowadays, everything is inspired by something else.

Yeah, he should get some money, but he probably won't. And if he were to sue them, I'm pretty sure he'd lose (I don't think most people want to deal with activision's legal dept).

Someone saw it, got inspsired, they pitched the idea based around that. But all the designs were their own obviously.

Level 20

Le sigh... The only things they could have stolen from this were the giant robots/WW1 setting/tank. Everything else in the map is completely original and up to the interpretation of Treyarch. It smells of plaigirism yet there is still some doubt. "Der Riese" The Giant, and the radios talking about giant robots in WaW give some credibility, yet this is just strange.

Then again, like PTG, how do we know that this guy didn't just get a preview of the map and paint those JUST to make Treyarch look terrible? We don't know. We never will unles they come out with a statement. Which they probably won't if they don't even know who this guy is.

Level 11

in reply to Froggmann6

The radios on Der Riese do not mention a giant "robot"... just the Giant Project. Robot is not mentioned at all. It could mean anything.

Also, if anyone is to blame for plaigerism, it would be Benn from PTG. He is supposedly the mastermind behind this map and all everything involved in it (or so he claims).

Level 53

in reply to DeathBringer-Zen

True. Although have you seen the movie "Iron Giant"? The robot bears more similarities to that than it does to the painting. Although, as Americans say, whatever. Just trying to beat the cause

Level 11

in reply to Froggmann6

Although have you seen the movie "Iron Giant"? The robot bears more similarities to that than it does to the painting

True. To be honest, Origins is a mixture of Sucker Punch, with a bit of Iron Giant thrown in.

Funnily enough, the Iron Giant is based on the 1960's novel 'The Iron Man', so the inital drawings in this video could themselves be considered plaigerism to the Ted Hughes book.

Either way, the guy may feel butthurt, and rightly so, but his work was infact most likely inspired by 'The Iron Man', so...

Seems like a case of 'The Simpsons did it', and he should just move on from it. I for one am not going to miss out on what may be the only real good zombie map on Black Op 2.

Level 53
Highlighted

in reply to DeathBringer-Zen

Sucker Punch was seriously one of the worst movies I have ever sat all the way through.

I really don't have anything more to say than that...lol

Level 18

in reply to shadowwalker831

A buddy of mine was all hyped up, lent it to me and told me to expect the best--- and the rest. I told him it wasn't that good It definitely had potential, but lacked solid professionalism, imho...

Level 16

Its very similar but doubt they took his idea or ever even saw the image. Aside from the giant robot its a regular WW1 setting during a storm. Generic trenches and WW1 planes. And the robot is also generic looking. Could be the Iron Giant. If anything Origins looks more like that crappy movie Sucker Punch minus the giant Robot, but had planes, blimps, trenches, zombies, robot suits, and modern weapons.

Level 1

in reply to TheYahwehWizard1

And yeah how are you gonna have giant robots created by mad scientist and not have a huge electrical storm.

Level 8

Studios