FYI, dedicated servers still give a huge advantage to weak connections...

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

FYI, dedicated servers still give a huge advantage...

I play on both PS3 and PC. Great connection to both, but the biggest difference is that the lag is virtually gone on PC thanks to dedicated servers. That is, except the people with terrible connections. For some reason, even though these players haven't met the requirement for playing fair, the game punishes us legit players and allows the bad connections to rampage. Why? The game is actually rewarding players for cheating.

The reason I compare PS3 to PC is because console players are usually forced to blame the host, but playing on PC has shown that it's not the hosts fault at all. The game actually allows bad connections to lag around and have split second invincibility from bullets and even C4 blasts. And the corner lag, GTFO! This is total BS and I can't believe a billion dollar game would reward the cheapest players like this. Seriously.

SanAndreasPsych1
8 REPLIES

Re: FYI, dedicated servers still give a huge advan...

in reply to SanAndreasPsych1

Something in thier lag comp is seriously broken.  And yeah, how can you punish players for having a better connection while rewarding the ones that would make your game unplayable online.  If we all throttled our connections and bought the worst internet possible, multiplayer wouldn't exist (console anyway).

Highwayman0226

The ONLY reason I do not play BF3 is because of dedicated servers, If BO2 goes that route, I will be done with this game too.

IIXII

in reply to IIXII

Just curious, what do you have against dedicated servers? 

Highwayman0226
Highlighted

in reply to Highwayman0226

He probably believes that dedicated servers need to be rented and the owner has the power to kick. Those features are made by the company that makes the game, and it is not the same way in BO2. All PC dedicated servers are free and there is no kick option. Matchmaking works the same way, except the host is a server. With the settings on best, you'll always get a decent connection if your NAT is open and your internet has a good ping (also depends on where you live). It's the laggers that ruin the game. Even though I might have a great connection, the game will still allow weak connections to walk right through half of everything I throw at them and corner lag me an instant death.

SanAndreasPsych1

Someone is always going to have a weaker connection, but can't they set system requirements?  If you fall below the requirements, oh well.

Highwayman0226

in reply to IIXII

why? Because they rent them out now?  You can notice lag comp on bf3 also mainly when somone from eu joins a us side server or vice versa. But its no where near as bad as lag ops 2 beta is so far, if its like the last 2 games it will be sorted by the time the game dies out and the next cod is released.

rednotch1

in reply to rednotch1

If experience has taught us anything - CoD players are stuck with the screwy compensation and unfair latency. I doubt we'll ever see a CoD4 type-connection again; even with new consoles right around the corner.

splattermo

Dedicated servers will not happen until the next gen consoles come out. (Ps4) That's the only chance we have of dedicated servers. And if they don't give us dedicated servers for the next gen consoles then we'll have to wait until the consoles after that come out (ps5)

But they don't need to give us dedicated servers. They need to go back to mw2 servers and matchmaking. Mw2 was the best. And if you had a had Internet connection then only you suffered, not everyone. Mw2 had the best matchmaking and the hit detection was spot on. The host migration worked perfectly and there weren't any problems. Then in bo1 everything changed and lag comp was brought in, and it made bo1 one of the worst cods ever. Mw3 tuned it a little bit but it still wasn't good and bo2 tuned it even more but it's still not even close to being as good as mw2.

illstplaya2live

Studios