Does Probation have any Legal basis?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Does Probation have any Legal basis?

in reply to TheBeastlyDude

Hack or modify (or attempt to modify or hack) the Program, or create, develop, modify, distribute or use any software programs, in order to gain (or allow others to gain) advantage of this Program in an on-line multiplayer game settings including but not limited to local area network or any other network play or on the internet.

Boosting falls under hack and modify in order to gain an advantage.

Level 4

in reply to Hot-Wire

Hack or modify the program, meaning the game. Boosting is neither hacking or modifying the program. It uses what was put in the game by the devs. Its more of an exploit. You are exploiting the intended purpose of a TI to gain XP, jeadshots or whatever.

From Activision:

Modding/Hacking

Any user who runs a modified version of game code or uses a modified game profile is subject to penalty.

Boosting

Any user who colludes with another user to exploit the game for the purpose of gaining XP, prestige, game score, weapon level, or in-game unlock is subject to penalty.

Level 13

in reply to GolfHacker27

From the standpoint of what you have purchased Activision has taken the measures necessary to ensure that the Multiplayer function is legally a free add-on to the game with no guarentees of servicabiltiy.  Since you have officially not paid for the service of playing Multiplayer you effectively have no recourse if you don't like the changes made to it.  Granted most people buy the game because of the Multiplayer feature but the devil is in the details.  Activison did not sell you Multiplayer.  They sold you the campaign (technically it's just a user license to play the campaign) and provided the rest as a good will jesture legally speaking. 

Furthermore, if you would like a different arguement, probation was in the game at launch and was only removed due to the numerous issues that arose from other bugs in the programming.  So all they have done is return a feature that existed when the game was originally purchased and therefore, they have not made a substanitive change to the game that could be construed as a violation of the consumers expectations.  In other words, the buyer has a responsibility to research features prior to purchase and cannot lay claim against a feature that was part of the orginal purchase that he willingly accepted at the time of purchase.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

No I disagree With your comment.  If it was free then Activision wouldn't have spent money on advertising multiplayer.  Activision knows that quite a few people who purchase COD, purchase it for it's multiplayer.  That being said the TOS is there to cover them if they decide to implement new game modes or rules.

Level 6

in reply to GolfHacker27

Well, don't quite every game. I've left games before and I have never gotten any kind of probation so you must be doing it frequently. Stick it out. Sometimes, the game starts well and sometimes it's BAD. Most of the time, when it starts bad, I can at least go positive in the end IF I stick it out. Control your anger and don't flip out. Just a thought....

Level 48

in reply to GolfHacker27

Legal basis, I lol'ed.

I never quit game, never been put on probation either.

Solution: stop being a crybaby, man up and play the games you're thrown into whatsoever.

I won a headquarters game that was 0-105 when I joined yesterday... (or was it hardpoint, can't remember)

Level 4

in reply to GolfHacker27

stop shooting at teammates

Level 8

in reply to GolfHacker27

This is too funny.

3ACR also never published that the ACR was not going to be in the game... you gonna sue?

Activision Ambassador

in reply to GolfHacker27

Another from Activision Support Page:

In order to discourage early game disconnects that can negatively affect the gameplay experience for other players, Call of Duty: Black Ops II has implemented a probation system that will penalize players that frequently leave games early. The probation will not allow the player to connect to multiplayer matches for a limited time. If continually abused, the time the player is on probation will increase.

In order to avoid receiving the probation penalty, you must remain in a match for its entire duration.

Also the License agreement is mentioned on the back of the CD case, you do not need to open it, it tells you to go to activision.com for license terms.

Level 13

Studios