Do you consider soundwhoring to be a valid style of play?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Do you consider soundwhoring to be a valid style of play?

I decided to use a permanent unlock token on Awareness and started tweaking the audio settings trying to find a way to soundwhore in this game.  After some trial and error, I have begun to have some success lately.  I have been pre-firing on busters as they're coming around the corner or into a room because I could hear them coming.  Consequently, I have heard some pretty good raging on the kill mic (that couple seconds you can hear the enemies mic after you kill them).  Last night, I even got accused of cheating in the post game lobby because I repeatedly killed the other teams best player.  He was just salty.

Overall, I use a camp and move style and this has enhanced my game play a decent amount.  In BO2, they have made it more difficult to soundwhore, but it can still be done. 

What are your opinions on this style of play?  I know it's definitely made the game a lot more fun for me lately.  Shhh... I think I hear footsteps.

Level 8
15 REPLIES

Re: Do you consider soundwhoring to be a valid style of play?

in reply to STEELERPRIDE7

The internet comes up with the goofiest names for stuff.

I find listening to be a great idea in this game.

I actually prefer my gaming chair audio to the TB headset but I can play as loud as I want too so.. YMMV indeed.

Been using awareness and can hear those footsteps but not nearly as well as you could in previous titles. You really have to listen.

Probably wont bother with awareness after all the goals are done.

Level 22
Highlighted

STEELERPRIDE7 wrote:

I decided to use a permanent unlock token on Awareness and started tweaking the audio settings trying to find a way to soundwhore in this game.

Good stuff if your using things that aren't very popular, but why call it "soundwhoring"?

These random names we call things are childish in my opinion.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

probably has something to do with the majority of the playerbase being 14 or 15

Level 8

in reply to PerkyNipzz

If you guys have a problem, call the whaaaambulance.  Stick to the topic and not all this crying about semantics.

Level 8

you're probably the 14 or 15 year old in question.

Level 8

If the game allows you to 'soundwhore' then why not? It's not cheating however it's up to the devs to balance it just look at MW3 SnD and all the sitrep pro corner campers. If the devs make footsteps audible without awareness in an upcoming patch I think awareness will definately need a rebalance because like sitrep pro, awareness counters dead silence and that isn't right.

Level 23

First, I hate that phrase.  I prefer to call it "playing by ear". 

Second, using sound to locate enemies has been part of COD almost from the beginning.  Certainly since MW1.  It's not something that is picked up from day one either.  It's a skill and it's something that needs to learned and honed on each title and each map.  It's not easy.  Playing by ear takes reflexes that a lot of people (most of whom are the ones complaining about "sound whores") can't master.

Third, playing by ear is much much more difficult in this BO2 than any other game.  They've dialed down the footsteps so much that often times you can't hear them at all.  You'll have someone run up behind you (who's not using dead silence) and you don't hear a peep.  And even when you can hear them, it can be almost impossible to pinpoint them.  Awareness needs a buff big time.

But to answer your question.  Hell no playing by ear isn't cheep.  It's not an exploit.  It's not a gimmick.  It should be part of any quality players arsenal. 

Level 6

in reply to blackOPSpoo

It doesn't really matter what you call it.  To each their own.  I didn't think it was such a sensitive topic.  Lol.

But, I totally agree that it's much harder in BO2 than any other.  I find the only way I can distinguish direction is by using surround sound on the headphones (I have PS brand) or by positioning yourself in an area that has two distinct surfaces on either side of you. 

In MW3, Sitrep Pro was a beast until they nerfed it last summer.  It used to allow you to hear people with Dead Silence.

I don't think it's an exploit either.  I think it's funny that when you use every aspect of a game to better your play, you get people bitching and moaning that you're cheating.

No doubt about it though, "playing by ear" is an acquired skill.

Level 8

Hearing the enemy is just as legitimate as seeing them.

- TopFighter

Level 47

Studios