Dedicated Servers is not that hard to have

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Dedicated Servers is not that hard to have

in reply to Izjar11

Very true.It's just frustrating to watch something great go down hill. Especially when there is a lifeline out there. But I don't want to seem as though that Dedi servers are the only option for Black ops. What about simply looking at the blueprint of COD4. They seem to love to build on that core system, why cant they duplicate the settings of that network. Sure it had lag issues, but it was just that, lag. I never heard of lag such as rubberband lag, framerate lag or any of this new age lag that exist today until the last four maybe five years. When playing that game, either everyone lagged and the room closed, or the person that lag the most simply left or dropped. aside from the lag switchers, this host migration problem is new and started with the last few COD's released.

But then again, when this game came out it seemed as though they solved that issue, then 1.03 emerged and it's been hell ever since.(with some small glimpses of heaven here and there)

Level 3

in reply to flameweilder8

Bleh, same old argument and mis-information.  I'll quote what I've written before..

Dedicated servers are perfectly viable and should be expected, the game makes more than enough money and the cost is a drop in the ocean compared to the profits they make.  I think everyone's forgetting the pc version HAS dedicated servers...  The costs in that thread are nowhere near what the actual costs would be (infact they're waaaay off) and the servers are not limited by bandwidth, but by cpu.  You can BUY a server capable of hosting a quite few games at once (not sure of how much cpu the game uses) for between 1 and 2 thousand, they're quite cheap really, or you can rent them, also relatively cheaply.  Once you have your servers, you decide on whether you want to rent space in one of the many server bases already out there or buy a building to house them and run your own connection.  The servers are very low maintenance and only need the occasional reset button pressing when a server locks up which is rare, most server houses employ someone as a reset button presser (probably not his real title) and costs you nothing extra.  All maintenance of servers is done remotely from anywhere in the world and for patches is automated and done all at once, so staffing costs are very low and only needs one guy to pop down to the server house and do a bit of upgrading now and then.  The main cost with dedicated servers is the bandwidth and again a company the size of Activision wanting a massive amount of bandwidth will be able to negotiate a price the size of peanuts for it, as I'm sure they already do.  Don't let them fool you in to thinking dedicated servers are an expensive game because they aren't and you can't compare WoW servers to a cod server because they're completely different games with completely different cpu requirements.  WoW can still make a high end pc fall over it hogs so many resources.

and

You'll find you're getting lag on some games servers because of poor maintenance or cost cutting, ie running too many games per server and leaving it too long before server restarts.  Basically they work out how much cpu a game needs per person or per game size they intend to run i.e. an 18 player game might use 10% server cpu so they know they can then run 9 18 player 'servers' per server (should say per box instead of server really it's less confusing ) and leave 10% free for any massive cpu (action) spikes, like someone calling in a vtol whilst someone uses a lightning strike with masses of explosions.  That's not an exact scientific formula I've given you lol, but that's the short and tall of it and some games will cram too many games on to one 'box' leaving too little cpu to handle cpu spikage and hope they get lucky and you wont have more than one game spiking at any one time.

Pretty much sums it up really, it also doesn't take in to account the massive discount Activision would get by buying a big pile of servers, especially with the whole Microsoft, intel tie up

Level 6

Just going to say this once; while I prefer Call of Duty games to any other first person shooter, I went and picked up Medal of Honor Warfighter because the non-existent connection issues with this game have been bothering me a lot lately. My online experience with Medal of Honor is amazing. There is no lag, no connection issues; why might some ask, well, the major difference I can tell between the two games is that MoH has dedicated servers. Sure, this could be a coincidence, and hey, I know Treyarch won't do it with this game, but if I play 1 more CoD game with connection issues like this one, I'll stop playing CoD all together and go to Battlefield and MoH. While they play completely different and I love the feel of CoD, I absolutely hate the connection issues 20x more.

Level 12

in reply to SoG_Hanix_PC

SoG_Hanix_PC wrote:

Just going to say this once; while I prefer Call of Duty games to any other first person shooter, I went and picked up Medal of Honor Warfighter because the non-existent connection issues with this game have been bothering me a lot lately. My online experience with Medal of Honor is amazing. There is no lag, no connection issues; why might some ask, well, the major difference I can tell between the two games is that MoH has dedicated servers. Sure, this could be a coincidence, and hey, I know Treyarch won't do it with this game, but if I play 1 more CoD game with connection issues like this one, I'll stop playing CoD all together and go to Battlefield and MoH. While they play completely different and I love the feel of CoD, I absolutely hate the connection issues 20x more.

I've played warfighter and I was not impressed by the spawning, moving or game play. Battlefied (if this is a game vs game discussion) is the closest competitor in this modern war class based game.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

I'll agree, the spawns can be kind of annoying with how they set them up, but I never spawn and die unless I repel in from the blackhawk. Not being able to talk to your squadmate when playing is also pretty annoying, but that is nothing compared to the issues that this game has. As far as moving and gameplay, it's different from CoD, but not bad by any means. I think it is just preference. I still prefer the CoD gameplay style, but MoH isn't bad by any means either; and I would rather deal with those few minor details as opposed to dealing with the huge issues that this game has. That is all I was saying.

Level 12

Studios