Best internet for gaming?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Best internet for gaming?

I'm looking to upgrade my internet from downright shite ATT DSL. Give me your thoughts on how your experience is with your provider or if you know someone who has good internet for gaming, or maybe a good alternative. Im in California so I don't have access to Google Fiber or FIOS from Verizon.

Level 6
14 REPLIES

Re: Best internet for gaming?

in reply to ImTheCaTaLysT-

I live on the East Coast (Boston to be specific) but Comcast has been very good and reliable the last year or so.

Level 4

The outcome should be interesting. Please come back and share your gaming experience after you improve your internet connection.

Level 20

what package do you have threw uverse

Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

Your probably better off with the crappy Internet for BO2, I have Verizon Fios and I get tons of lag. If you are upgrading for multiplayer games that run on dedicated servers then go with Fios, they are on the expensive side. By the way in DC.

Level 4

Best Internet speed for gaming is between 10-30 download and 1-2 upload.

You really don't need above 30 download. That's sufficient for video games and for multiple people on the same network. I have 20dn and 2up. I have no problem downloading big demos, updates or dlc or playing multiplayer. Everything is fast and I don't have a problem. I also have 3 other devices using the Internet at any given time and I don't have a problem. 20dn is sufficient for my needs. Hope this helps.

Level 30

Ping is what matters and how the ISP has the infastructure setup. Your best bet is to search locally for other gamers and find their thoughts on their current ISPs that you have access to.

Anything said here will be location specific and more than likely generalized or sensationalized over the internet. A prime example would be "Time Warner Sucks."

What matters for gaming is ping and THEN bandwidth.

If you just want fast internet go ahead, but if it's to improve your cod performance, move on!

I got glassfiber cable leading to between 50-80 mb/s depending on time of the day and 4-5 mb/s upload and 80% of my deaths in cod are caused by lagg. Yesterday i shot a guy 2 times in the back from 2 meters with a ksg, he turned around and onehit me with an mp7. With my chicom, i shot a guy 24 times in the back at barrelstuffing range, i get koed by a random kid strolling by. I was using ghost and an unsilenced gun, so i snook up bhind a sniper, and attempting to stab him so my gun wouldt go off, i hit "o" and suddenly find myself teleported two meters to the side and getting quickscoped by the guy. Don't bother paying a lot of money fornimproved cod gameplay

Level 3

in reply to rcaluw

Oooh and usualy run at less than 10 ms ping

Level 3

for every other video game fast download and fast upload are good.

i think 20 mb down and 2 mb up is fine.

for BO2 however , you are better off tapping Mcdonalds WIFI.

God mode kicks in then.

Level 27

Studios