Are we diviating from strategy to promote a more arcade (individualistic) style of play

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Are we diviating from strategy to promote a more arcade (individualistic) style of play

As some of you may know I've been reverting back to MW3 to take a much needed break from Black Ops II. During this stint my stats have greatly improved. I'm averaging killstreaks I never could in Black Ops and I've earned a MOAB everyday since I've come back.

I've asked myself why this is. Is it because of Assassin and Blind-Eye being in separate tiers? Is it the larger maps? Variety of Streaks both in classes and in packages? The answer is yes, but why?

Superficially you can make the claim that MW3 is just an easier game to be good at. The good players trample the not so good, but then questions start to be begged. Thinking critically I came up with this:

Black Ops II is nothing but an arcade shooter, and it encompasses very little strategy. While team play is still present rarely does a player have the capability of working with a teammate .

The maps are too small forcing a pace that doesn't allow for proper communication and execution of well thought out plans of attack.

The weapons and perks in the game greatly favor one style of play.

And the positioning and structure of spawns only one philosophical principle, spawntrap

This idea that "because Call of Duty is a video game any ideals that surround strategy are blasphemous" is leading the franchise down a rabbit hole we might not be able to recover from. We're too afraid to admit that camping is sometimes needed to secure a manageable pace. That sometimes an SMG might not be the right weapon to use against a particular team. And maybe, for once, using our brains might earn us the win.

Placing consideration and reliance on five other guys isn't even an option anymore. We're becoming selfish and because of this we stop using cognitive thought to determine what actions are best, instead we default to an automatic response of "I need to pick a class that gives me an individual advantage" disregarding what would best suit the team

The question I want you to answer:

Do you agree with what I have said?

If not, why?

If yes, what should be done to avoid this kind of mentality and behavior?

Level 75
50 REPLIES

Re: Are we diviating from strategy to promote a more arcade (individualistic) style of play

in reply to Ghamorra

I agree whenever I join a match of domination one of the teams is spawntrapped I also feel that's the man goal of the game, whoever spawn traps is going to win. I think it all comes down to people wanting the game to be easier for their "rushing playstyle" it's the majority of the community that this specific style. Latest example is like you mentioned ghost, to me it was fine in black ops 2, but people started complaining that about campers and what did 3arc did? they did what the "rushers" said. Maps are getting smaller with every call of duty that comes out why?? well people don't even want to look for enemies anymore.. this is just my opinion. Honestly I don't how this will be stop but maybe it will be the downfall of the call of duty franchise who knows??

Level 11

Re: Are we diviating from strategy to promote a more arcade (individualistic) style of play

in reply to GALACT1C0s117

Definitely seems to become more and more one demisional, and with that less strategy is needed

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

COD has always been an arcade shooter for me.

When I want strategy and team-centric gameplay I play BF games.

Level 22

in reply to Doc_SoCal

^^THIS.

If you want deep strategy, you're playing the wrong game.

Level 15
Highlighted

in reply to Ghamorra

ghamorra wrote:

The question I want you to answer:

Do you agree with what I have said?

If not, why?

If yes, what should be done to avoid this kind of mentality and behavior?

Very good post G,

I agree with where the game is going, its a game that has become "appealing" to the masses, this is very normal to me.

But where I see strategy vs random playing is in you (the player). I have been playing so much more objective based games in BO2 than I ever did in MW3 and I am loving outplaying someone else. I use my own strategy (if we a clan) we can strategize and sync our efforts. So there is a level of strategy that I feel is (to me) better on this game than it was on MW3.

I know your frustrated with it, and its understandable that as a gamer you have the choice to play it or not. I hope you keep playing!

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

I understand that a player chooses his or her style of play. The fact that a player is able to do that makes me happy, even if they elect not to be a team player, I'm glad that they made that choice. What I'm concerned is the game removing the choice.

I feel as though Activision and Company are taking the element of choosing your playstyle out of the game so that unpopular choices cannot be made

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

For the most part there is no real "team strategy" at all in TDM. The only real strategy consist of selfishly running around without regard for teammate position or safety. In fact many players use there own teammates as bait to get kills. smh

Level 20

in reply to theroc23

I like using team mates as bait, and they seem more than willing to do so all the time. It seems as though every time I'm pushing closer to the enemy spawn, some idiot runs right out in the open and draws fire without even being asked to do so. He dies once, and 2 or 3 enemies gave away their position. I'll trade 1 team death for 2 or 3 kills any day of the week.

Level 7

in reply to Ghamorra

As far as I'm concerned, there has never been any real strategy involved in any CoD unless you're playing competitive.

Players in public matches are mostly clueless, and have always been mostly clueless.

If anything this CoD has me playing more intelligently than the others. You could probably get dogs in BO1 with your controller upside-down when the game was relevant.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your post, I'm just saying this has always been more of an arcade shooter. If you want real strategy, you'd probably be better off looking at something like Quake. Unfortunately I wish I could name others, but other than the obvious Quake and Counter Strike, there really aren't that many strategy based FPS games out there anymore. Games that just appeal to the masses like CoD and Battlefield are killing them off. They basically have a monopoly on the genre like World of Warcraft has on MMO's.

Level 8

Studios