Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Highlighted

Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

in reply to jeepchick

CrashPower wrote:

I wish people would start taking more care with their posts. Yppecaye, it's one thing to post your opinion but quite another to try to validate it as a fact with examples like what your Aunt does.

Did you read my response to BanH and AznC?  I will refer it to you as part of my response to you here as well. 

To repeat my rationale.  My Aunt example was simply to illustrate that there are 1) women who play games other than CoD; and 2) women who play games on other mediums.  You must take care to consider the context of the entire substhread.  That is, we're talking about CoD and BOII in particular.  So when Jeep's 42% is proffered as evidence against K's 1% guesstimate, I gave examples as to why the 42% is misleading insofar as how many women play CoD is concerned.

However, I believe there spot on. Not just because she's an Activision employee, but after my interactions with her, I've learned that she's big video game fan. She's even got framed autographed CallofDuty posters.

Sometimes the bigger a fan someone is, the more likely they're biased for the very thing/person they're a fan of (not speaking about Jeep, just in general.)

For example, her stat of the average gamers' age....

Nice info but so what?  Just because one stat may be correct doesn't make another correct.  I actually, not in so many words, said the same thing you did here. http://community.activision.com/message/414642614#414642614.  Again, it would be a good idea to read all posts before responding. 

Sorry to rant, but it's especially aggravating when you're trying to conduct a discussion about something important to you (like HC CTF) and others argue against it without knowing what the hell their talking about.

Not sure how HC CTF's gameplay itself is relevant here.  I don't know which discussion you're referring to, but if you're implying by analogy that I don't know "what the hell" I'm talking about; then, I will simply have to disagree and suggest toning down your language a bit lest the appearance of baiting. 

Level 39

Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

in reply to Ghamorra

I think this has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen yet. Threats against a game dev, cmon people, have we stooped that low. Its a stupid video game nothing more. It changes nothing in your life, and if it does then you have more problems than one should have.

If children are the biggest problem in your life or world of gaming, than again, my word, man up people and be that adult that you are. Kids are just little versions of you, and if they get to you, I feel bad for you. Its a video game. The norm is that video games are for kids (though we know thats not true) But thats the normal attitude towards video games.

Whatever the rating of the game, means nothing, its a "cya" thing for the devs and the publisher, nothing more.

To make threats against a game dev is just plain stupid at best, what may come of it, nothing. Thats why It has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen on here in a long time. To be12 pages deep into it is just sad, this should have died long ago.

Level 13

in reply to Ghamorra

Guys and Gals,

Allow me to redirect this conversation away from exclusive children bashing. Immature players, both young kids and young adults, are what I'm trying to get at. Childish behavior across the board is what gets this community a bad reputation.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

I finally looked up and read the entire post by Mr. Amrich and found it much less a complaint about death threats (there were none given as examles, but he did provide people tweeting "Yet Vahn often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person."  While these are obviously comments that should never be made, they are hardly "death threats" to Van or any other devs at TreyArch.

In fact, when reading the entire post, the point is that the idiots that post they hope Van "dies in a fire," which he expounds on to say are in every community and not isolated to this one, are bad for the gaming industry because they are the voices that are heard.  He is not worried about Van's life (nor should he be since there are no real death threats) he is worried about public perception of the gaming industry.  The entire gist is more of a 'shhhh be quiet out there so we can't get blamed in a lawsuit" than anything else, and frankly rather self serving.

Are there A-holes in this and other gaming communities?  Yes.  Are there A-holes in any community with 25-30 million members? Yes.  Would the media rather report on the A-holes than the saints?  Yes.  So why, in all his wisdom would Mr. Amrich choose to post the A-holes in his blog?  Would he not be better served by posting all the positive comments and constructive criticism?  Ahh, but that does not gather readers, does it?  A second self serving aspect of his post. Shame on you Mr. Amrich.

Below is a copy of a portion of the blog, found in its entirety at: http://oneofswords.com/2013/07/editorial-stop-threatening-game-developers/

Yet Vahn often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person. If anybody thinks for a second that this is okay, it is not. But if the loudest voices in the Call of Duty “community” act like an angry mob instead, guess how the entire world views Call of Duty? Now consider that these Internet Tough Guy rants and demands are not unique to COD, but exist everywhere, in many gaming communities. This is why the world often does not take gaming seriously; this is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny assholes. Because the immature, whiny assholes are louder.

Level 15

in reply to Ghamorra

perhaps those that want to argue about what percentage of blops 2 players are female can start a new thread on the suibject?

It is pretty far off topic for this thread.

The topic came up while I was discussing with Fox Pro if the cartoonish aspects of blops 2 were directed at the under 17 crowd (my contention) or female crowd (his contention).  Neither of us had any hard numbers and I deferred to his assumption so the conversation could move back to the topic of the thread.

Level 15

in reply to Kothar44

Kothar44 wrote:

Kinda disingenuous when you're the one who brought up the subject in the first place.

I'd say the percentage of women consumers is quite relevant to the topics at hand. 

Level 39

in reply to Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I brought up age classifications, not gender.  When it was suggested the cartoony elements were added for females (fox pro's assertion) instead of an under 17 crowd (my assertion) that is supposedly not marketed to, I hit Google and found the admittedly non-scientific blops2 demographic poll from IGN (link included at that time) and posted that I thought their number for females was low, but regardless, there are more under 17 year old males playing this game than females of any age.  THAT started the pissing match.  Since gender was never an issue for me in the first place, and Fox Pro would never be allowed to concede there may be content designed to appeal to the under 17 crowd (because of the M rating) I conceded the point.  Perhaps I should not have changed my under 17 to under 17 males, but it seemed best with FP taking all females.

I still feel that there are more males under 17 playing the game than females of any age.  Can I prove it?  No.  Can anyone else here prove the opposite is true? Not unless they have access to Activision demographics information that I am not privy to.  Is it worth a third day of arguing over? Not in my book, especially when the cartoony elements are just 1 of the 8 items I thought were included to appeal to the under 17 crowd in a post I made on the 25th. However, if anyone would like to continue the debate, I would hope they would do it in another thread so we can get back on topic here. 

For a 4th time, I admit I have no data to prove the previous guess I made about the female population in blops2 being 2-3%.  From the responses here, it appears to be more.  Much more.

Frankly, if anyone wants to bash me about something I said in here, I would think the posting I made on the 28th, in the second to last post on page 14 about the blog article that led to this topic would be the one. 

It is about the blog, includes a link to the entire blog story, includes an entire paragraph from the blog and how I felt that despite the title of his article, Mr. Amrich failed to show there was any real death threat, his examples of death threats were anything but death threats and the entire article was self serving, including using the same tactic he feels journalists use against the gaming industry.

I would, however, like to apologize to the entire community for not researching the original blog before my very first response here.  Had I done that instead of going off the title of this thread and a handful of summaries I read in the thread (which turned out to be untrue or half truths to make a point) I would not have even bothered going down the "under 17 years old" path.

Level 15

in reply to Kothar44

Kothar44 wrote:

Had I done that instead of going off the title of this thread and a handful of summaries I read in the thread (which turned out to be untrue or half truths to make a point) I would not have even bothered going down the "under 17 years old" path.

You weren't the only one. I think it really stresses a good point though that a large part of the community likes to hate the little kids who play this game. Sure they're annoying, but until the community can agree that immaturity has no age limit I don't think we can come to a consensus on how to best deal with the situation.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

My beef wasn't with the kids, it was with Activision for putting out a product I feel is increasingly aimed at them with each iteration. 

We buy the product, we tell them the maps are too small & cluttered, the spawns are borked, the lag to much, the sight lines too short, camo should conceal you, not make you visible across the map and the maps keep getting smaller, the sight lines shorter, the spawns worse, the lag at new levels of unplayable.   With the exception of lag, in my humble opinion, these are all to satisfy the younger gamer which is how I brought up the under 17 crowd -  an Activision problem, not a kid problem.

Within this game and unto itself, we have the freezing issue, the helicopter noise issue, the no sound issue, the search for your disbanded party for a day issue and others.

When the community asks for the same list of changes to be made in order to make the game playable again and again and all we get are denials that any of those complaints are true, "but here are some postage stamp maps where a middle school kid would like to play (skate park, paintball place, ski slope, running lava, rock start stage etc) and glow in the dark camo for ya.  That'll be $15.00  cha ching" we have a right to be angry.

Mr. Amrich could have chosen to include positive tweets and constructive criticism tweets, instead, he picks three that he describes as death threats in his blog, then we find out they are "Yet Vahn often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person."  While there is no need for content like that, not one of those is a death threat or remotely close to a death threat.

He goes on to state that these horrible statements made by COD and other gamer communities all make the gaming industry look bad.

Of course a journalist will report on a crazy fringe person before a saint, it gets readers.  No one would read an article titled "Johnny thanks Vahn for nerfing the AN-94, sends him roses."  That is the same reason Mr. Amrich titled his blog article "Stop Threatening Game Developers" instead of "Weapon balancing complete" with a sub paragraph stating not everyone is happy and including some constructive criticism tweets. 

So, while he wants the community to stop calling out TreyArchs failure to address the same problems for over a year, or going so far as to call someone there a "terrible person" he wants us to all just post praise for those that gave us such a flawless product because God forbid we say something that might be used in a lawsuit later or something that might make a scandalous headline that grabs a reader, like, oh I don't know, how about "Stop Threatening Gamer Developers"

Mr. Amrich, you are a hypocrite.  I'm glad it is a personality flaw and not something fatal, I'd hate to get banned.

Level 15

in reply to Kothar44

You're righ Kothar44. My post was pretty far off topic for this thread. Comment deleted

Kothar44 wrote:

perhaps those that want to argue about what percentage of blops 2 players are female can start a new thread on the suibject?

Level 5

Studios