tracert and pingtest to others players in my match. Strange

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: tracert and pingtest to others players in my match. Strange

in reply to cottonsocks

Which net limiter are you using?

I would be interested inseeing this for myself.

Level 4

in reply to cottonsocks

Did you build a gateway to do this?  Ive got a linux gateway that I use for testing the effects of latency sometimes, but never tried it with a windows gateway.

The timeouts are pretty normal.  Lots of routers are not pingable, but as long as you got the destination, everything is working.  In the one with choopa, the timeouts are probably choopa routers.

Level 17

in reply to cottonsocks

I don't think it's wise to post people's IP addresses here on a forum...

Level 29
Highlighted

in reply to cottonsocks

Removing text. Sorry, but you can't simply come to the boards and start posting people's personal IP addresses. That's a huge no-no.

in reply to cottonsocks

I've noticed this to, I setup a script to automatically grab everyone's IP address, geolocate them and test latency. What I found was about 50% or more people simply don't respond to ping requests. What others have said is partly true, people do set there routers to block ping requests.

But I don't think it it's the end user that is blocking ping requests, it's their ISP that is doing it at an attempt to stop the spread of worms/viruses.

I'm sure Treyarch has already found a way around this, it wouldn't be too hard. You don't have to use the traditional "ping" method, you could just create your own that mimics it. You send a special message to another player on port 3074 which you know is open, and just time how long it takes for the other player to respond.

Level 7

in reply to cottonsocks

I used netlimiter pro 3 and shared my wireless connection threw my laptop to the xbox via ethernet..It shows all the people in the lobby and all the traffic. Dont really know what a gateway is tho??

Level 2

in reply to cottonsocks

You don't know what a Gateway is?

Then why are you messing around getting people's IP addresses and pinging them?

Level 29

Studios