fast connection and lag? here is a fix

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: fast connection and lag? here is a fix

in reply to Mat2202

There is no fix anyone can do to get rid of the lag. Some people can have everything set right, even so far as putting their xbox directly connected to the modem, and still have horrible connection issues. I've had open nat time the entire time I've played with a few exceptions when for some reason xbox live decides it's not and I have to re-run connection test. Regardless of my nat type the game was very hard to play due to serious lag issues until more recent patches. Until the dial in their matchmaking and netcode things will still be bad for people. Even after that not everyone will have their issues fixed.

Level 14

in reply to Mat2202

I go between open and moderate nat all the time. I have tried multiple different settings over the last couple of years and i never see a difference. I have been having these lag issues since Black ops 1 came out. MW3 played fine for me and i see the same lag problems with Blops 2. It really is not a bother for me anymore as i have adjusted my play style to compensate for the lag.

Level 38

in reply to Mat2202

Mat2202 wrote:

If you have very good Internet and you experience lag lag lag - its not the game....

look here

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414232014#414232014

The original link is broken that leads to the Powerpoint presentation. This one works.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7288

Level 21

in reply to Mat2202

So the OP is suggesting to force your NAT to moderate, but then you can only play with friends who are Open? So THEY will lag, not you? How about you just get your party to fix their NAT's everyone runs open then you won't have to bridge anything. I mean, I guess if your running solo, moderate would be best for you?

Level 9

in reply to wtcwarrior

no - moderate can also connect to moderate - you only can´t connect to strict

Level 2

in reply to Mat2202

This post explains a lot to me. I have a very good, stable, low ping, high bandwidth connection. When I view the number of IP's I am connected to during a game, usually around 40 or more IP addresses flowing through. When the game is over, that number drops to around 5 IP addresses (all connections to activision servers, xbox live, matchmaking and demonware). I get the feeling my connection is being used as a portal for all players with strict/moderate NAT settings. It also seems to not release the IP's of people that come and go from a match until about 30 seconds after the match is over.

Most likely why Treyarch is pushing people to correct their NAT settings so the burden is leveled between players. In the current environment, people with the most open, stable, high bandwidth connections are being burdened with the weight of serving other connections and overworking the xbox's limited CPU and RAM capabilities. This I believe is what may be causing the bad experience for people with good connections.

The date of the powerpoint presentation and conference are significant too. Right before the release of Black OPs 1. The problems most of us are having started with the release of BO 1.

Macc, the powerpoint mentions peer to peer but only in the instance of xbox live chat. The subject is also relevant to listen servers.

Level 21

in reply to Nubdub

Has changing to Moderate NAT help things for you then??

I havn't enjoyed this game since I upgraded my connection from DSL to Fibre Optic...

Level 3

in reply to gary_mico

Trying it out now. Have not gone negative in any game since I changed it.

For some reason though, it was hard to get my NAT not to be open. I turned off PNP, changed NAT type to secure, closed ports, no DMZ, reset router and still had open NAT. Went to moderate after rebooting modem. Should be strict with the current setup but it is not.

Level 21

in reply to Nubdub

I wont get a chance to try this out until later.

Anything's worth a try at this stage

Level 3

in reply to gary_mico

Very strange occurance's with moderate nat. Game is making me host now 50% or more of the time. Why would I be host more often with moderate nat?

Level 21

Studios