Yet another lag post. Current Discussions

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Yet another lag post. Current Discussions

in reply to deamonomic

deamonomic wrote:

they have not stayed silent on the issue you guys just refuse to accept their answer, prefering to believe in conspiracy theories.

Well the fact that soooo many people are coming up with "conspiracy theories" is quite telling.  The game is unplayable for so many people and I'm sorry that they cannot pinpoint the exact source of the problems.  It's a complex issue with minute differences, but people are realizing something is wrong.

deamonomic wrote:

so, treyarch in an effort to help their fans, asked them to provide proof of it happening live.   

This is ALL I have been trying to do.  This is the reason I was having pages of discussion of this to try to come up with a way to show this.  Except the major flaw of this forums is a single person.  This single person claims that there is absolutely, positively, no way ever to provide this proof.  And then other people jump in and say, "you shouldn't be trying to do something so complicated".  Guess what?  It's a complicated issue that will take a complicated solutions.

Which leads me to two things.  1) If the above is true (which I don't believe it is), then are they really being helpful in asking for proof, or are they sending us on a wild goose chase for proof that cannot possibly be shown?

And 2) Any proof that is shown will be automatically (and yes automatically) shot down as flawed and not proof by this one person.  So at the end of the day, what I was trying to do, which would be provide something that would catalyze a unified message to fix the game, is pointless because the only person in on the discussion, is said one person.

So the overall problem remains that anything said on these forums are going to be met with such disagreement that the Devs can simply look at this, and dismiss anyone's problems.

And I mean at the end of the day, it's just business.  They are not being very hurt ($$-wise) by ignoring the fan base on the forums, or at least the portion experiencing these problems. (Maybe this has started, and hopefully continue.)  They will keep having new fans, younger fans, that don't care to raise an issue when something isn't working out right - not to mention the (presumably) older people on the forums now who deny problems exist because they don't experience them firsthand; claiming people are conspiracy theorists because they don't experience issues firsthand.  Open up your minds a little bit people.  And stop being so self-concerned.

All I was trying to do was be part of the solution - not the problem.

Level 6

in reply to Networker

3arc deflentely have a philosophy of not sharing news that could be controversial. Unlike MW3 patch notes, there is no mention to anything regarding adjustments re lag in BO2 notes. The exception to this was on Jan 26 TU:

• Matchmaking modified to never return games outside of player’s own continent, unless the Connection Type in Search Preferences is set to “Any”.

Its obvious that the above is good news. I'm sure adjustments have been made that we don't know about, and there is merit in respect to not wanting to confuse the community at large. However, I totally agree that 3arc have not helped themselves when it comes to communication. I even wrote a thread on it months ago. In short I was flabbergasted that the 'local glitch' was going on, resetting gamers stats, and yet 3arc did nothing to warn gamers.

The PR strategy of 3arc in regarding game issues has been, looking for a kind word, hopeless. The fact that months after release the only interaction with the community regarding lag was Vahn asking for video proof. Sorry, this does not instill confidence within it's customers. Next point: 3arc talked to a youtuber we know as Drift0r, and gave him information to spread across the ever reliable youtuibe. Now, as far as 'lag comp' video goes, it was relatively informative, however there were mistakes. My point is, if you're going to go to the trouble of explaining game mechanics to a youtuber - why not make your own video. Why leave your information in the hands of a youtuber, who although well-meaning, is subject to making mistakes. I'm not knocking Drift0r at all - his intentions are good. But, as a PR exercise on part of 3arc, it's flawed. Surely the goal of PR is to give correct information to quell speculation. I would never expect a game developer to take you behind the cutain of game mechanics, but information can be given in such a way that a level of understanding is met.   

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

you all act like the developers not having constant contact with the community is an odd thing. its normal from what I have seen. many other companies do the same thing. yes its annoying but in the end its mostly because they dont want to have to deal with the BS of trying to convince those who dont want to be convinced.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

Demon, you know from our interactions my positon on the lag debate - our views are very similar. In my opinion I will not excuse 3arc for not informing gamers of the local glitch, the only way I knew about it was through this very forum. My standpoint, prevention is better than cure. When it comes to information transfer, I understand fully that the devs have to put up with a whole lot of BS. My issue is not neccessarily with the level of information, but the nature of the information, and how it has been given. I'm not saying that my way of dealing with information is perfect, far from it, and I agree that some gamers just don't want to be convinced. My humble opinion is that if you can see a better way of doing things - then that's what to aim for. If anyone can convince me that I'm wrong, that 3arc's PR has been the best way to go, I'm all ears. 

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

FalconR6 wrote:

Demon, you know from our interactions my positon on the lag debate - our views are very similar. In my opinion I will not excuse 3arc for not informing gamers of the local glitch, the only way I knew about it was through this very forum. My standpoint, prevention is better than cure. When it comes to information transfer, I understand fully that the devs have to put up with a whole lot of BS. My issue is not neccessarily with the level of information, but the nature of the information, and how it has been given. I'm not saying that my way of dealing with information is perfect, far from it, and I agree that some gamers just don't want to be convinced. My humble opinion is that if you can see a better way of doing things - then that's what to aim for. If anyone can convince me that I'm wrong, that 3arc's PR has been the best way to go, I'm all ears. 

im not attacking you falcon. infact I agree in the sense that I would love for the developers to come here and help us to understand the game better. But I cant really fault them for not doing it either. not after I have seen the way this community can act. I mean a common montra on the forums is that they that the devs dont know what they are doing. Why would you subject yourself to that?

oh wait i missed a part. Yes I agree they need to do something more to get the word out about things

topic update for those who care (video is takeing longer then I was hoping and rewrite I slow. topic will be fixed tomorrow)

Level 45

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

Exactly what i was thinking. Honestly some become so defensive when a "theory" is questioned. Isnt that what a forum is for? Developing theories and having them questioned by a communituly to further refine the current thesis? Idk some people tend to lose grasp of that. Its painfull to watch at times. Some times its just funny though lol. All in all people just need to learn to keep respect for others, even if the person is questioning your beliefs in a certain system. This seem to be more important with in the subject of lag, and most often tossed to the trash on this subject. Sadly.

PS really wish i was as articulate with my opinions as you rofl

Level 23

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

IMO, people should simply rally for more communication and less attempting to root it out and answer the questions themselves. I see the inherent fault in that statement, but is an echo chamber of who's right and wrong any more productive?

Alex conserva as you know sat down with drift0r for what an hour odd explaining all the points people have raised in this and other threads, and explained to him what causes various wtf moments.Drift0r then made a video

Granted drift0rs video as a result had a few mistakes in some of the things he then explained but the fact is everything he put into the first video especially came direct from the devs.

The information is out there if people bothered to actually view it.

The problem is imo people just dont want to accept the facts given to them and would prefer to find some theory that better explains stuff that at the end of the day just basically boils down to ..you're playing over the internet , and this is how the game visualises there differences caused by that in player latency

Level 75

in reply to BuckNorris007

no doubt lag is a problem in BO2 because of higher fire rates, enchanced damage from certain attachements which decrease the time to kill. however, if you always play with friends, then you group up with them. obviously if you played alone you'd be matched up with more suitable player with lower pings. if you group up, you increase your chances to lag because the people in your group are not the best ping for you. also it can affect you if you play a match where other people playing are grouped up. although one may fit the best connection category, not necessarily everyone in the group does and they automatically can join that match by default. don't group up (or if you must only group up with players that you know have a good ping to your location), turn off interleaving on your internet connection (if you have it on), and make sure "best" is selected in your search preference. thats all you can do to improve the experience, after that not much else you can do (except getting better internet with lower pings of course).

Level 5

in reply to mrnice4884

and obviously don't be torrenting, other internet activity on your internet connection. may sound obvious but if you have a family using wireless, no doubt your siblings would be using it.

Level 5

in reply to BuckNorris007

I ask this question again, why play if it's too broke for you to enjoy it? Plenty of gamers still playing the old cods, you know the ones with no lag, why aren't you playing those? I'm not hating btw, if you hate your job would you loom for something else or torture yourself? Plenty of great games out there, enjoy them!

Level 27

Studios