Why is the CoD Community so bad?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Why is the CoD Community so bad?

in reply to Film_Not_Rated

Good post.

Will the community ever be remotely better?

Only if they get educated by the rest of the community. Peoples thoughts on having fun gaming are different and there will always be an entertainer for each different perception. Some will last, some will fade away but at the end of the day you get to make your own mind up and can choose to educate/ inform accordingly.

Level 16

People do not know what it's like to play smart anymore. Everyone yells CAMPER! When they die, and blames everything on lag, "overpowered guns" (lol) you name it. When presented with an idea: play the game smart. Tactically... They respond with frantic calls of ADD and impatience. Make people learn to play smart, and learn from their losses, and the community will be restored to what it once was. 

Level 7

If you think that's bad. You should check out the MOBA scene. League of Legends and DOTA/DOTA2 are notorious for toxic and negative atmospheres. Negativity and toxicity reach everywhere in gaming. It isn't just "us." It's everywhere.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/dickwad-theory.jpg

Really? No one else is seeing the elephant in the room here?

Sigh. Okay. I'll say it. It's an age thing.

Anyone who's played online PC FPS, going all the way back to Counter Strike and so on will know what the 'community' was like back then. Generally, we're talking about professional grade people who were earning a decent enough sum to spend on a top of the line gaming rig. Those people were (generally) in the mid to late 20s and older. They played in groups, formed clans and so and became a community. While much of what Gallp says is on the nail, the "CoD Community" first began to go downhill around the time the DLC for CoD4 was launched.

Realising they had a big hit on their hands, Activision wanted IW to make MW2 bigger, badder, more explodey and more accessible… the works. We know what we got then. Gone were the simple kill streaks, in came a new, younger audience of children, playing the game they'd heard so much about, despite not being old enough to do so (yes, this is a genuine bug-bear with me; parents abrogating their responsibilties really tick me off).

The trend has continued with every new CoD release, while PC gaming has grown in popularity amongst older gamers.

The YouTube community has grown alongside the new CoD 'spawn', and they each feed off each other.

This game now appeals to the lowest common denominator player and has been designed as such, right down to helping out players who can't afford top line fibre connections by ramping up lag comp. Activision want as many people as possible buying their products, as they rightly should. The fact that this then loses any sense of community as a result shouldn't be that big a surprise.

As you get older, you get wiser. You learn to be less of a pain in the butt. You appreciate other people's viewpoints more. You become a useful member of society. But when you're 10 years old, well, your priority is to 720 wall bang no scope like your favourite YTer. And if that means team killing the guy in front of you, well, hahahahah. Etc.

Level 10

Right. So I would like to attempt to take this toward a positive direction. Get ready for the large text.

I am not a Call of Duty / Activision Developer or Spokesperson

Now that it is out of the way. What features could Call of Duty create in a future title to promote a "healthier" community.

My go to answer is to revamp the report function. I think we should be able to report people for toxic behavior. Basically, if someone is being a douchebag in game, then you get to drop a report and they get some form of reprimand.

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

Right. So I would like to attempt to take this toward a positive direction. Get ready for the large text.

Now that it is out of the way. What features could Call of Duty create in a future title to promote a "healthier" community.

My go to answer is to revamp the report function. I think we should be able to report people for toxic behavior. Basically, if someone is being a douchebag in game, then you get to drop a report and they get some form of reprimand.

define douchebag? XD I ask cause I have likely been reported hundreds of times for simply being the better player. tho, this is how you know the system works somewhat. I havent been banned yet

something like spawntraping/killing will cause mass reports and likely already does. I dont aim to spawntrap or kill you. But I go to where my victims are. im nice like that. If its B flag, i go to B, If its a bomb i go to A. if its their spawn, I go to their spawn. if im running by and you spawn, srry if I dont kill you, you will kill me without hesitating.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

deamonomic wrote:

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

define douchebag? XD I ask cause I have likely been reported hundreds of times for simply being the better player. tho, this is how you know the system works somewhat. I havent been banned yet

something like spawntraping/killing will cause mass reports and likely already does. I dont aim to spawntrap or kill you. But I go to where my victims are. im nice like that. If its B flag, i go to B, If its a bomb i go to A. if its their spawn, I go to their spawn. if im running by and you spawn, srry if I dont kill you, you will kill me without hesitating.

• Destroying equiptment in HC.
  • Inentional TK.
  • Trapping in corners.
  • Running off and holding the bomb.

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

I know I can only speak for myself but I think the removal of some of the things that make the game extremely competitive and targeted towards MLG and Youtubers. League, live streaming, the ability to see others stats, (minus leaderboards) the small maps that promote constant movement.

I liked back in COD 4 and MW2 where I could play how ever I want and had fun doing it. In Black Ops 2 I feel like I have to constantly move to get kills and stay off the radar.

I do like you idea too. I played with someone today who would curse you out just for getting in his way but he wasn't playing the objective at all in Dom.

I would also like to see the Devs a little more active in the Community. Possibly some more activity here. Answering actual questions about problems during live streams. I think some peoples hatred can go towards the fact that they just want to feel like their ideas are heard.

Level 43

in reply to Rednecksniper39

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

I know I can only speak for myself but I think the removal of some of the things that make the game extremely competitive and targeted towards MLG and Youtubers. League, live streaming, the ability to see others stats, (minus leaderboards) the small maps that promote constant movement.

I liked back in COD 4 and MW2 where I could play how ever I want and had fun doing it. In Black Ops 2 I feel like I have to constantly move to get kills and stay off the radar.

I do like you idea too. I played with someone today who would curse you out just for getting in his way but he wasn't playing the objective at all in Dom.

I would also like to see the Devs a little more active in the Community. Possibly some more activity here. Answering actual questions about problems during live streams. I think some peoples hatred can go towards the fact that they just want to feel like their ideas are heard.

Here's my controversial statement. The old guard needs to refine it's opinion on competitive play. It think this game needs to remain competitive. Just because the bad apples exist doesn't mean that we should burn the orchard down. Games are only going to get more competitive and with the gamification of nearly EVERYTHING, the idea of "free fun" in a shooter is almost nonexistent outside of intended "fun modes."

in reply to Foxhound-Pro

Burn the orchard down, I like your style no wonder you're the head mod.

Sounds like someone plays competitively in hc snd. Destroying equipment in hc is a design choice/flaw and the best solution is choose your team mates. Intentional  tk again choose team mates plus the 3 strikes is a half decent solution. If you mean trolling with riot shields and corner trapping I agree should be reportable. Running off and holding the bomb, hard to define what's reportable there as it could be  a tactic even though it might not be.

Boosters should be reportable in game imo that would be a start.

Level 16

Studios