Why is BO2 so laggy, compared to other COD games?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Why is BO2 so laggy, compared to other COD games?

in reply to Err0r_6_Is_Back

The game used to select me as host when I was using my phone line, which has too low bandwidth to host and not very good ping tests either.

Level 31

in reply to SitRepPro

yeah i noticed i get picked as host more since i downgraded back to my previous internet plan, which still is good.. but when i have everything forwarded, and DMZ, and have 60down 5 up id never get picked for host

Level 8

in reply to JackFrost11

JackFrost1 wrote:

Why is BO2 so unplayable laggy, compared to other COD games?.

Same thing was said since MW2. Each newer version of the game has its issues with latency and balancing it.

I firmly believe its because the majority of users are playing it making it so unstable. When you go back to the other games there are less users, less erratic connections trying to play.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to JackFrost11

My online play for every COD can be described as inconsistent.  Some I get better connections more of the time than not, some the other way around. Obviously this depends on where the host is and if I am hosting or not. Hosting just about guarantees a laggy match. The only COD that I couldn't get at least 50% good matches on was MW3. I bought that game multiple times on Xbox, and Ps3 hoping for it getting fixed, but it never happened.  I like the maps and gameplay, but the lag was just a dealbreaker for me. Black Ops on the other side of things has been the best connection wise, with W@W being pretty good too.  I think the solution may be to start a regional game league where you play only against people who are in your city, or within a certain distance to avoid this problem, because it seems no matter what fix is introduced someone will not be happy. If you have a slow internet connection,  or live in the country just get used to the fact that online shooters are not going to work as well as for people with good internet connections that live in more populaced areas. This is how lag comp should be set up, the better the connection,  the better the ping the better the gameplay period. These games should not work good for someone tethering through their 4G connection,  or your crappy wireless internet service. This in my opinion is why people with really good pings and bandwidth are suffering, because the devs are trying to make the game work for people with bad pings, and low bandwidth so everyone is on a level playing field, but it will just never work. I also believe matchmaking also plays into this as well. I should never be dumped into a game against a bunch of guys in Georgia when I am in Portland Oregon,  but it happens all the time. This is why I brought up the idea of regional leagues,  maybe this could be a community made solution to a problem the devs cannot or will not ever be able to fix.

Level 17
Highlighted

in reply to JackFrost11

BO2 is the only title I always have lag, very rarely had the problem in previous titles.

Level 32

in reply to JackFrost11

The lag seems the same as it did in BO1.

Level 47

in reply to JackFrost11

There are multiple active threads on this topic. Do a search and contribute your thoughts to existing threads instead of making a new one on the same topic.

Claire JeepChick | Forum Moderator: Black Ops II
Questions/Concerns/Quibbles/Comments? Send me a PM

Studios