Throttling connection is cheating but playing cheap isn't?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Throttling connection is cheating but playing cheap isn't?

I hear it a lot that throttling your connection is considered as cheating, but playing cheap isn't? its basically the same thing. When i say cheap i speak of playing on wifi and dialup connection while my family is downloading stuff from the internet.

When a person has a amazing good internet connection but he is using his second internet dialup, wifi crap connection while playing Black Ops 2 to get a lag advantage, isn't it the same as throttling your connection? if throttling connection is cheating, why playing cheap isn't? it makes no sense.

Its like when your house isn't closed then a thief can walk in and steal everything and its not considered stealing because you left the door open, right? see what i mean.

Level 24
41 REPLIES

Re: Throttling connection is cheating but playing cheap isn't?

in reply to FixBlops2

FixBlops2 wrote: see what i mean.

No.

Not at all.

As long as it's a connection that hasn't been "tampered with" ( a connection that could have been his/her only connection) I don't see a problem with this. What if someone has beastly internet due to work and a less good connection reserved for gaming - is that playing cheap? What if there isn't a posibility to play hardwired, thus making wifi the only solution - is that playing cheap?

Honestly, I don't see how you can use the term "playing cheap" about this, it makes no sense.

Level 12

in reply to Kukkolfkambo

I give you a example. Lets say i have 2 internet connections, one is amazing and the the other is bad. Instead of playing on the amazing connection i play on the bad connection to get the lag advantage in the game, this is in my opinion called "playing cheap".

I understand your point that some people are forced to play on wifi when they live in a big house and cables are to short, thats not what i meant by playing cheap.

Makes this sense now to you? or should i explain it again.

Level 24

in reply to FixBlops2

If you think this will give you an advantage, then give it a try. Speaking personally, my game goes to crap whenever my wife decides she's going to piss around on Facebook and I'm trying to play.

My wired ethernet connection apparently stands no chance against her wifi Facebook sessions, and I lag and get my arse kicked in game. Zero advantage for me, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Level 10

in reply to DR65DR1

I does give me a "unfair" advantage, i don't get many instant deaths anymore and i win most close combat gunfights when i play via wifi while streaming stuff in the background.

Thats the whole point about it, when i lag then i am harder to kill for other players, the Host ragequits every time when he loses a gunfight vs me, its ridicolous how unfair it is. This is "playing cheap" and it works (at least for me).

So is playing cheap cheating or not? here you go.

Level 24

in reply to FixBlops2

I don't think it is, in the end it's how the devs have coded the game to work with a high ping.

Again, in cod4 (based on my experience anyway)  If I tried to do all that, I would go into a game with a red or yellow bar and after a few min I would end up getting kicked if I didn't sort my connection out.

Now, as you point out, it seems to actually help you game... while people who have a "good" connection (whatever you define that to be) suddenly find they are half a sec behind you.

The devs want to even it out so it makes sense to put myself on the same playing field as all the average connection players that the game is optimized for.

The devs say there is nothing wrong, so they must want the game to be played this way. 

Level 9
Highlighted

in reply to darkwitness

I stopped using my cable internet and used my phone line.  I seem to be, on average, not as frequently behind numpties from southern Europe and France any longer.  But it could be a coincidence, a hotfix update, blah blah blah etc.

Level 31

in reply to FixBlops2

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the point is not a good one (imo). Just because you have two different connections to da int3rwebzz doesn't mean that you necessarily can use both for gaming. And if you are paying for two connections, why shouldn't you have the choice to use the one you want?

Also, a "good" and a "bad" connection isn't necessarily due to wired/wifi/whatevz.

PS:

Playing cheap (again, imo) is using "cheap" tacticts in-game.

Level 12

in reply to FixBlops2

if you play wifi and with a bad internet, you get 1-2 bars, you DONT GET lag comp, and you get screwed

Level 7

in reply to FixBlops2

I'm getting ready to try turning on QoS on my router (I'm hard wired to it) to see if that helps. If that is cheating then I suppose everything else I've done (DNS, DMZ, port forward static IP and hard wire) is cheating to.

I just want to be able to play the game so I really don't care what ppl want to call it.

Level 9

Studios